General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The day you lived to ride...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Moki Doug
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spent a month in the hospital broke my left femur and took the knee off the other leg.
It took me awhile to get back to riding but I sure am glad I came back.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Ironhand
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by frog13
Ya know, I've said this before and I'll say it again. Don't know if you guys are new to this world or not, but if you're going to take this motorcycle thing seriously, why do you have this obsession with gore? Move on! Look to the future. These are tragic experiences and should be somber, reflective moments, not exploited like they are some sort of adventure. Talk about the good rides, not the bad ones, what kind of depressive freaks are you guys?
With out any research i would venture to say you have been riding a bit longer than most here. When i started riding in the 70's and heard that someone went down we would say "Damn" and move on with our lives. we never did alot of talking about it, mostly because we knew of the risks and accepted the risks

Old 06-21-2009, 02:00 AM
jamminjim
Cruiser

My wife and I hit a Bear last October 5th. I broke 2 ribs and lots of road rash. The wife just sprained ankle and road rash. The bike (06 Ultra) $8500 in damages.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:19 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

15 oct 1998, dude comming from side street made a right without looking got him in the side at 55 mph.7 months off work.
10 sept 2007 on the way home from hilton head. I hit a woman in the *** as I looked off the road she stopped. My wife,Trixie,Our Chihuahua and my self all fell into the on comming lane had a car been comming it would have been really bad just alittle road rash and a ew fender and engine guard. I pullde the fender away from the tire and rode the last 200 miles home.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:58 AM
96black&blue
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frog13
To each his own, just don't see why it matters or why people want to dwell on it. In the ol' days (Yeah, I know, here goes the old biker talk again, why don't these old farts ever die off?) it was sort of a forbidden subject, nobody ever brought up crashes. My how times have changed .......
Ya know though, I feel fortunate to have lived through the 60's and 70's, it gives me an honest right to say, "If I have to explain you wouldn't understand". All those who have been riding 25+ years will know exactly what I'm talking about ...............
i understand frog and love your sig.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:37 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

My only real bad one happened in 1981,was forced off the road in a sweeping turn by someone that had crossed over the yellow line,coming right at me.The last thing I remember was hearing my front tire slide on the sand at the shoulder of the road.I was going approx 60 mph flew through the air 50'dropped down into a gully 8',the bike hit then me on top of the gas tank.The boys took the worst of it.Thankfully I was unconsious.Somehow stayed upright for another 100' or so before hitting a sand bank head on throwing me over the top and landing with no broken bones,Oh and no helmet!
Three days later I woke up in the hospital.My first thought was how is the bike and as soon as I was able,started getting the bike back on te road.Fear was not a part of the equation,it was more like anxious to get back on the road.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:41 PM
bnelele
Advanced

Firebird: Sounds like I might be a month ahead of you. Easter Sunday I went for a dive at 70. Witnesses behind me said the bike rolled like a car twice before it went down and started sliding to a stop. I ended up with a broken right femur and a broken hip. Rod and pins but doesn't sounds quite as bad as your break. Seven days in the hospital got out and then two weeks later the fun started. Pulmonary embolisum or blood clots in the lungs. Spent another week in hospital and they said that one almost got me. I get around using a cane now but not very good. Leg just dosen't have the strength. I am 62 so I won't heal as fast as most, but I am starting to feel there is a possibilty I couldn't hold one up any more. I was on an UC so thats what 800 lbs. I've got a Honda 1100 ACE in the garage, but its not the road bike the Harley was. I know everyone heals differently, but if anyone out there has had a broken femur, realistically how long before you were walking pretty normally.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:59 PM
norgepa
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well Firebird, I will say what I said after my accident, " I am still verticle and above the green". I will save the details. But I couldn't wait to get back on a bike. A new '08 Softail. Look forward try to forget the past.

Attached Thumbnails The day you lived to ride...-mvc-054s.jpg  
Old 06-22-2009, 04:55 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,209 Likes on 1,835 Posts

Back in May, 1972 a car made a u turn in front of me and I t-boned him. My right knee was messed up and had some road rash. Spent a week in the hospital and returned to school just in time to take my finals. It really screwed up my summer between my junior and senior year in high school. What pissed me off was I got the cast off of my leg two weeks before 2 a days started for football and I couldn't run.