General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird issue with electropod

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Thor
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Weird issue with electropod

I posted this in electrical, but it's a graveyard there lately.....
I received a set of Electropods as a b-day gift, they're the brake backups that blink...I hooked it up to the brake light (red/yellow on StreetGlide) output on the "3 rail bar" light...heres where it gits weird:
With engine off, ign on, it will blink normally. With the engine running, it blinks so rapidly it looks like a solid illumination....I fiddled around, and it seems that its only when fuel pump is running (I used kill switch with brake applied, does the rapid flash while fuelpump pressurizes, then goes to its normal flash rate).
I tried the brake wire on the main harness, as well as several different ground points....

Any help would be appreciated

Old 06-18-2009, 08:58 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Not real good with wiring myself. Had a problem once getting a rear alert brake flasher to work. Turned out I had a bad ground. Instructions for your unit seem pretty straightforward. I'd doublecheck your connections making sure you're connected into the brakelight wire downward from the brakelight switch. Under the seat should be good.

You don't by chance also have any other add on lighting modules on your bike. I have the HD brake/signal/running light module on mine and it required a workaround.

Most likely something simple you're overlooking but could be a bad unit also.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Thor
Road Master

No module (had one, took it out), tried it directly wired to brake light feed, and grounded to frame/battery, etc...no luck...it's only when the fuel pump is actually running (If i have brake squeezed, and kill engine, you can see it go from the super-rapid flashing to normal operation. This is gonna drive me batty

I tried emailing StreetFx, they havent bothered to even reply with a "thanks for writing" or anything :/

Old 06-18-2009, 09:40 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Sounds like you have real head scratcher. Sleep on it and a solution may come to you in the morning. Works about 50/50 for me.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:47 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Is it LED's? somewhere I have read/seen that when changing the brake and or turn signals to LED you have to put an inline diode or some thing ?? (can't remember) because they (LED's) don't pull enough amperage to make the blinker system work right...
So when you put the extra draw on the system that may be in turn be doing the same thing..

Last edited by oct1949; 06-18-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:39 PM
Thor
Road Master

Originally Posted by oct1949
Is it LED's? somewhere I have read/seen that when changing the brake and or turn signals to LED you have to put an inline diode or some thing ?? (can't remember) because they (LED's) don't pull enough amperage to make the blinker system work right...
So when you put the extra draw on the system that may be in turn be doing the same thing..
It is led, but it isnt replacing any of the incadecents (its in addition to)...i could fiddle with a diode or resistor and see what happens,,,was also thinking micro-relay,,,they dont switch fast enough for the rapid-firs I'm seeing

Old 06-19-2009, 12:37 AM
elamey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any test points to see what your voltage/current does when engine is off then on?

Is this possible...When you turn the ignition on the running light portion of the brake light comes on. Could you be adding the running brakelight voltage or current to the brake lever actuated light voltage or current (don't know which is the issue at this point).

If I remember right, if the voltage jumped going from ignition off to ignition on that could indicate series. If the current jumped...parallell.

Without seeing the wiring it's difficult, maybe you could scratch out a basic diagram scan it and post it? But maybe the voltage or current is adding up from both the running light and the braking light....

Old 06-19-2009, 08:20 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by oct1949
You may be referring to a load equalizer. I thought about that too but seems there would be some mention of that in the instructions. Product has been around for some time and couldn't find a history of install issues for it.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:50 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Figure it out yet?

Old 06-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Thor
Road Master

Not yet...it's almost like the brake circuit receives pulses as opposed to a steady current when the fuel pump is on...One thing I am going to try is a relay...being mechanical, it shouldn't be as sensitive to fluctuations, and the electropod would see a steady current. I tried the Fluke meter on it, but that reads slow (if that makes sense)...if I had an old-school analog needle meter I might be able to see if it were getting a steady feed or "strobe-like" pulses.
It's running in parallel to brake light circuit. I did disconect brake light and tried th eEP as the sole brake light, got the exact same results. Also, I got a second set, same thing...I can scan a drawing in, but thats the best I can do.

Quick Reply: Weird issue with electropod