Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The next trend in motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 01:42 PM
jl28
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The next trend in motorcycles

Call it an opinion ,a gut feeling or whatever,but I think the next ''thing'' in motorcycles will be smaller,cheaper,better handling,faster simple bikes.Bikes like Triumphs,Sportsters,older [fairingless]Jap bikes,some European makes even.Maybe the days of excess are going away for awhile ,[to return someday of course].The $30,000 Harleys the $75,000 custom choppers [which is already well on it's way out].Plus all the blingy expensive Asian made accessaries.

I think soon it will be less about looks and more about the ride,the sheer fun of being on a motorcycle.A motorcycle that is no bullshit and paid for.Call it ,bang for the buck,more smiles for the miles.Custom bikes will carve a nich for bobbers and cafe style performance bikes but,they'll have to be priced around $20.Some custom bike builders are already doing this with ''working man ''specials.Sucker Punch Salleys comes to mind.The Horse, backstreet chopper magazine has allways been about cheap, rider built bikes,they are either behind the trend or ahead of it depending on how you look at it.

I'm talking about your average income riders [most of us]not the rich guys.Rich guys will always have expensive toys either because they want to show the world how much better off they are or some that just enjoy the finer things in life.An average guy like me really can't afford an expensive exhaust systom that looks like a six barrel gatling gun, would I really want one?No,I'd feel stupid,even if I hit the Lottery.The current economy will fuel this trend but,I think it would have gone this way anyway.It's a big circle .This type of less is more motorcycles where the thing in the 60's and early 70's and then it was bigger bikes,bigger motors choppers,pro streets,bobbers $100,000 customs,baggers,bigger motors,baggers that want to be choppers,choppers that want to be baggers,Jap bikes that want to be customs.I think we've come full circle by now.We may be coming back to a time when less is alot more. Just, get on and ride type,of bikes.Wether you agree or disagree or think I'm just stating the obvious ,remember you heard it here first.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:54 PM
damfino
Cruiser

Post doesn't warrant a response but i do need to increase my post count.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Adacas
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard they're coming out with a front wheel drive

Old 06-18-2009, 02:17 PM
Haulen Ass
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Saw a great HD ad the other day. It was a coupon saying, "if your one that thinks Harleys cost $30k consider this a coupon for $20,100 off" and it showed the Nightster. Pretty cool I thought.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:18 PM
chidiver
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adacas
I heard they're coming out with a front wheel drive
Where would they put the radiator if that was true?

Old 06-18-2009, 02:22 PM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

I would say that the simple, home built bikes never left. They left the mainstream but the Horse has been around forever and the stripped down 60's style bikes never left, they just were outshined by the billet barges for a while. Most the real dudes still ride and alway have ridden those types of bikes. Some of the older ones got on baggers, but it's because it makes sense for them. Personally, some of those bikes were nice to look at but I would rather see a home built rigid sporty than something with a 40 degree rake and 23 inch wheels. That's just my taste. I like "real" choppers and gang style bikes myself.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:25 PM
kered
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jl28
Call it an opinion ,a gut feeling or whatever,but I think the next ''thing'' in motorcycles will be smaller,cheaper,better handling,faster simple bikes.
you just described a jap sportbike...smaller, cheaper, lighter, faster, better handling, all in one package...the only thing it lacks is ergonomics...which is basically a sport touring bike...like a yamaha FZ6/FZ1 or a triumph speed triple...i agree tho...harley is going to have to do something to appeal to the new motorcycle riders...ive got faith they can do it...heck a company that can last over 100 years has to know what its doing...im kind of excited to see what they do to adapt to the change

Old 06-18-2009, 02:35 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,237 Likes on 4,778 Posts

Originally Posted by chidiver
Where would they put the radiator if that was true?
Under the seat silly!!

Old 06-18-2009, 02:36 PM
fiend138
Road Captain

My only hope is that the trend goes away from the TV clowns, and leans to stuff like this.
http://limpnickielot.com/

Last edited by fiend138; 06-18-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:43 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kered
you just described a jap sportbike...smaller, cheaper, lighter, faster, better handling, all in one package...the only thing it lacks is ergonomics...which is basically a sport touring bike...like a yamaha FZ6/FZ1 or a triumph speed triple...i agree tho...harley is going to have to do something to appeal to the new motorcycle riders...ive got faith they can do it...heck a company that can last over 100 years has to know what its doing...im kind of excited to see what they do to adapt to the change

What makes you think they'll change at all? They've lasted over 100 years doing what they do, without changing all that much. About the only thing they've changed since the 80's is make the motors bigger. Other than that, their "change" has been miniscule compared to other companies.

What does that tell me? It tells me that eventually, riders settle down and want what H-D has to offer, without changing all that much.

Quick Reply: The next trend in motorcycles