General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pennies in your Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:50 AM
jprior
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pennies in your Handlebars

I'm about to change my grips. I've heard of some people putting rolls of pennies, or nickels, etc. inside handlebars... but I can't figure out why, or if it's something I should consider.

I suppose it has something to do with dampening vibrations... but maybe it's just about hiding your loot. hehehe

Can anyone enlighten me?

One more thing while I'm here... I'm installing "nostalgic" grips, which have a hole at the end. I'm not keen on having the inside of my bars exposed to the elements, or my daughter dropping marbles down inside my bars. Anyone come up with something that plugs that hole nice and cleanly?

Cheers!

Old 06-17-2009, 10:57 AM
crump
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just cant see putting any more money "into" your bike.

The following users liked this post:
blap (03-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2009, 10:59 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't know about the pennies but I had the Nostalgic grips and hated them. They didn't seem to fit my hands well and made them go numb quickly. I took them off and put ISO grips on. Love the ISO grips.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:59 AM
Butt Ugly
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, weighted bars will help with vibration. Lead is better if you have to. I had a gift certificate for J&P Cycle and I cashed it in for a pair of ISO grips. I was surprised that they do away with vibration too. I had never tried those grips until I installed them on my own scoot.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:49 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

You can buy bar end weights that will reduce vibration and plug the end of your bars.
Usually see them as accessories for sport bikes.
There are many styles to choose from, some will fit flush with the bar end (under the grips), others stick out the end. Get some that fit the inside diameter of your bars.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:57 AM
jprior
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had ISO grips on my Sportster for years, and I loved them too. But I really don't think the chrome grips will look good on my CrossBones. I've felt the Nostalgic grips on other bikes, and I kinda like the barrel shape they have. They were pretty inexpensive, so if I do end up hating them... it won't be much of a loss to replace them with something else. For now, I'll give them a shot.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Chief1297
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 28,885 Likes on 11,203 Posts

Originally Posted by crump
I just cant see putting any more money "into" your bike.
What a hoot!! Thought for a second someone had their ***** in their handlebars...I had to take a double look at the thread topic...lol...was good for a laugh anyway,

Old 06-17-2009, 12:23 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by petemac
Don't know about the pennies but I had the Nostalgic grips and hated them. They didn't seem to fit my hands well and made them go numb quickly. I took them off and put ISO grips on. Love the ISO grips.

Same here with the Nostalgic grips. They just weren't comfortable. I replaced them with the ISO's & they are nice but the pads don't line up exactly where I would like them. I like a round feeling grip & they have flat spots between the pads. The HD flame grips on my 06 are the most comfortable & reduce the vibes too.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:55 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief1297
What a hoot!! Thought for a second someone had their ***** in their handlebars...I had to take a double look at the thread topic...lol...was good for a laugh anyway,
Was thinking the same thing. lol

Old 06-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Hal64hd
Road Master

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Quick Reply: Pennies in your Handlebars