Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

magnetic drain plug "junk"

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 07:41 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default magnetic drain plug "junk"

I did my 10K service and on the primary drain plug there was some pasty substance on and around the magnet and one triangular chunk of metal about 1/16 x 1/8...looks like the chipped corner of a chain link. I'm not really concerned because I looked inside as well as possible with just the derby cover off and it looked good. The photo is poor because my p.o.s. camera is poor but you get the idea. The other pasty stuff looks like anti seize when spread out on a piece of paper. I know the parts in there do wear and it appears the drain plug is doing it's job. Any thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails magnetic drain plug "junk"-imag0023_edited.jpg  
Old 06-16-2009, 07:58 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

heard of that kind of stuff, makes U feel, o-chit...

Old 06-16-2009, 08:13 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

The pasty stuff is normal. The chunk? Well probably not.
It could be... a million different things and hopefully just some scrap from assembly.
The only way to know for sure is to pull the cover and inspect it. If there are no noises and you are not going on a 5000 mile road trip, I would keep riding and check it later in the year. Chances are it is nothing.
Keep in mind, this is coming from someone who would pull the cover off.
Let us know how it works out.
MikeM

Old 06-16-2009, 08:13 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The anti-seize looking stuff is metal granules and normal. Should see that on all the magnets/plugs. Don't know what that metal chip is but probably nothing to worry about.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:22 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's only one chip it could be a piece of ring gear or starter gear. I had one, but only one time. If you keep getting them on each change it might be worth looking for the cause. For now, don't sweat it. As mentioned the mud around the mag plug is fine powered metal from normal wear. There will aways be some.
Ron

Old 06-16-2009, 09:44 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats a good description: "pasty stuff looks like anti seize". That is exactly what it looks like and has been on every Harley I have owned so I would say it is normal.

As far as the little metal chip ... I can't tell what year your bike is but if it has the inspection cover it would be fairly easy to give the chain at least a partial inspection without pulling the outer by rotating the rear wheel with the bike in gear to see the condition of the chain. You would not be able to see both sides of the chain but it would give you some confidence in the condition. If it was me I would drain again after a few 100 miles and see if there are any more metal pieces. Hell its only a quart or so.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:52 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Going by the photo it looks like a friggin' thumb was in there. I wouldn't worry about the paste but you might want to take a close look at the hands of the last mechanic who was in there.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:19 AM
Chubby
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same problem once. It was the ring gear, if your engine is high compression - install compression relief valves.
I would recommend pulling the primary cover off and having a good look... I did and found more than just the one chunk. my 2c

Old 06-17-2009, 08:47 AM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The chip is most likely a piece of the starter drive or ring gear.

The pasty stuff is a combination of small fragments of metal (normal wear stuff) and fibrous material from the clutch basket.

If you have ever hit the starter button with the engine running or had it kick back when trying to start this debris will show up on the plug.

No problem, Ride on.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:53 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like I said, I ain't gonna worry too much about it. I have not had any trouble except when the belt came loose and skipped a tooth or two...that may have caused shock on one of the parts and chipped it. I switched to Syn3 at 1K and I'm gonna change the primary oil when I change the engine oil instead of at 10K like HD says. The tranny oil still looks like it is new.

Quick Reply: magnetic drain plug "junk"