General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do people come up the asking price for their HD?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 02:00 PM
tshamba
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those with nothing to sell always think the seller is asking way too much. I have an 04 WG and it won’t go to a new owner for a penny less than 13k. It has nothing to do with the chrome; it’s about the condition of the bike. It is new from front to back. Tires, brakes, wheels, paint. You want a new bike, go buy one. You something a little more custom, you’re going to pay for it. At least you are going to if you are buying mine. By the way, it is NOT for sale!

Old 06-16-2009, 04:21 PM
CRUE
5th Gear

things are not like they use to be, H-D has FLOODED the market with bikes & prices have suffered. Took me about 6 months after ordering a FXSTC in '92 to get the bike. Now you can find any color, model on a dealers floor.

Owned the bike for 12 years, added a chrome sprocket cover & lower belt guard, sold it for $1800 MORE than I paid for it new..............try that nowdays.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Juno
Banned

Originally Posted by tshamba
Those with nothing to sell always think the seller is asking way too much. I have an 04 WG and it won’t go to a new owner for a penny less than 13k. It has nothing to do with the chrome; it’s about the condition of the bike. It is new from front to back. Tires, brakes, wheels, paint. You want a new bike, go buy one. You something a little more custom, you’re going to pay for it. At least you are going to if you are buying mine. By the way, it is NOT for sale!

Old 06-16-2009, 06:35 PM
bjryman
Tourer

If it costs next to nothing to post on Craigslist or Ebay, and someone ponies up your price...pretty smart seller, I'd say. You can always lower, but never raise your price

Old 06-16-2009, 08:20 PM
MI_Jim
Cruiser

My theory is that many people think what they owe on the bike is what it's actually worth. Lots of folks seem to buy stuff strictly based on the monthly payments and get a rude awakening when they try to sell!

Old 06-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Roadkingfatboy
Cruiser

I am a on the side dealer. I get Harleys from HD ( eaglemark savings) that took them back because of lack of payment. I only purchase clean bikes with low miles and still under HD warranty and sell them quick. I sell them well under KBB by about a 1000 or more bucks with low mileage it's called fast nickel vs. slow dime. I actually sold a 07 Heritage with 600 miles for $ 14,500 in 45 minutes off Craigs list.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:19 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just because you put a ton of dollars in mods…doesn’t mean you’re going to get it back when you sell!

I see this all the time in classic cars; a guy will buy a classic for 50K that was probably only worth 45K, than he’ll put in another 30K to bring it up to his tastes and standards and expect someone to give him 80K when he sells it!

It may happen…but the chances of finding that small handful of suckers that are willing to pay that premium are slim to none!

I’m probably a good example of “Over Moding” ‘ I have over 6K in mods on my 32K MSRP Tri-Glide. No way do I expect to get 38 out of the bike when I sell it; I put the mods on because these are things I enjoy and wanted on my bike!

Jim

P.S. I’m not interested in selling…but if anyone wants to but it for 40K…it’s yours!

Old 06-17-2009, 01:34 AM
jurob
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

most overpaid and financed their mods and are trying to sell it for what they owe.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:22 AM
swordy
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

if you dont ask you dont get, n you dont leave the table till u eat some greens

Old 06-17-2009, 11:00 AM
rockDAWG
Road Captain

OK folks, I come across a pre-owned bike.

It is a 2007 Street Bob, Den. Black, with HD security, about 4000 mile. Owner asks for $9995, can't come down and more.

I wish he can go down more but no deal. I am thinking to pull the trigger.

Quick Reply: How do people come up the asking price for their HD?