Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

riding over the bay bridge

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 09:51 PM
anthayden24
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default riding over the bay bridge

I am heading up to rehoboth beach in delaware in the next week with a few friends and i was thinking about riding up there. Then I realized that I would have to ride over the Bay Bridge (route 50 in Maryland). Ive never ridden over a bridge that is as long as this one and I was just wondering what it was like....any tips/advice about it?

thanks!

Old 06-15-2009, 10:08 PM
trslim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it has a concrete deck, there won't be a problem. Some bridges have metal decks that make for a squirrelly ride. If so, take it slow...

Old 06-15-2009, 10:19 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know the exact bridge you are talking about, but I rode to Panama City Beach, Florida and crossed the bay bridge there it is one of those metal bridges that you can see the water under you and it had started to rain, the bridge was slippery that greased owl chit, so if it is one of them, be careful!

Old 06-15-2009, 10:39 PM
rockDAWG
Road Captain

Riding over the Bay Bridge is just like riding over the bridge over Potomac. Just pay attention to those Bikini babes who are busy talking on the phone on their way to OC.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:12 AM
RCB
Road Warrior

No problems going east bound except for the IDIOTS in cages in a hurry to get to the beaches. Watch out coming back west bound for the drainage graits, stay in the middle lane. Also once on the Shore watch your speed. Ride safe and have fun.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:34 AM
harleyeglideman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RCB
No problems going east bound except for the IDIOTS in cages in a hurry to get to the beaches. Watch out coming back west bound for the drainage grates, stay in the middle lane. Also once on the Shore watch your speed. Ride safe and have fun.
Ditto. Probably one of my least favorite bridges anywhere to ride over. If there is an accident or traffic for any reason, and you are on top of it, you get to enjoy the fun of bouncing up and down with the bridge. Never seen one move so much.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:38 AM
FXDIinMD
Cruiser

if it's windy, hold on tight

Old 06-16-2009, 07:00 AM
roadking1893
Tourer

I've been on the bridge several times going to OC and Del area. There's nothing to worry about, just stay your course and watch your speed. It's a nice ride over it, relax and enjoy the ride don't over think being on it, it's just another road. Oh yeah, no TUNNEL VISION or STAR GAZING.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:01 AM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The bridge is fun as heck and the view is awesome. One thing to consider is sometimes they have two way traffic on one side. I think you will enjoy the scenery and experience. I have been on the bridge several times. There are a few bumps due to the sections of the bridge intersecting, easy to deal with though. The span of the bridge is near 4.5 miles or so but it never seems too long as I always enjoy the scenery and the experience of the height of the bridge and the beautiful view of the bay etc...

Have fun,

Cheers,

Tom

Old 06-16-2009, 07:01 AM
anthayden24
Advanced

for those who dont know......the bay bridge is about 4.3 miles long, and at its highest point it is almost 200 feet over the water. i haven't been over it in a few years, but i know they have been doing a significant amount of work on it. i believe that now it is made up of both concrete and the metal grates....with the metal grates primarily in the midddle, and highest parts! that right there makes me concerned because of the squirly ride mixed with the crosswinds all while 200 feet over the chesapeake!

Quick Reply: riding over the bay bridge