General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I got a windshield...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 01:45 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,917 Likes on 818 Posts
Default So I got a windshield...

I got the HD smoked Quick Release Detachable Compact - Standard Height windshield (P/N: 58751-05) for my Night Train. It's cool. It goes on and off in seconds.

However, I am getting a lot of buffeting around the top of my head, and the height of the windshield puts the edge right in front of my eyes, whoch makes it difficult to see unless I either crouch a bit to look through it or crane my neck to see over it. I know people have cut their windshields down, and I obviously will have to do that. The question is how do I do it? Also, will that reduce the buffeting?

Any insights are greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 05-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: So I got a windshield...

Go to the DIY and read the cutting your windshield section: HERE

Then go to my thread and look at the end where I said what worked and didn't for me. HERE

Then relax, plan some time (its not fast), and go for it.

Old 05-17-2006, 01:54 PM
Pat
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Clammy,

The windshield is a snap to trim, not hard to do a good job on it. Bill Norse has a good DIY post on it. The buffeting, acording to a thread from about 2 weeks ago, is mostly caused by winfd coming up from under the shield. I put fork deflectors on mine and a forkbag over the bars to plug the hole between the light and the bottom of the shield and all the buffeting went away. Some of the posts in that thread also show a correlation with the type of helmet used - full face seemed to be the worst offenders.

Old 05-17-2006, 01:57 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Rather than dig through 4 pages... here is the part with the info...

OK update...

I got the bolts cut off. I'll have to thank my brother again for the wonderful dremel he bought me a couple years back. Drilling was useless.

I couldn't bear to cut on the bike because I know I would drop something. I used one of those work table/vices to hold the windshield arms and keep everything level and tight.

Got the shield cut. I used the suggested method of string on the center bolt. I tried at least a dozen other ways to mark an arc, but in the end, this was easy. Used fishing line and a pencil.

I bought 3 24TPI bi-metal blades for my sabresaw. The shield shook uncontrollably and I couldn't get a good cut. I switched out again to the dremel. Router attachment with side cutting bit. This cut well, but was a bit hard to control. I cut high of my line. At this point it looked horrible, and totally ruined. I got out the orbital sander and went to town. 10 minutes later, it looked pretty darn good!

I shaped it with the sander, cleaned it up by hand and put it back on the bike.

I went inside to clean up, sanding lexan makes a huge mess. Wife came home and asked me when I was going to cut the shield. This was good news, since she couldn't tell I hadn't cut it yet.

I ended up cutting just a bit over 3" off, and it works much better for me now.

Thank you everyone for your help with this. I really felt it would never work out without a lot of cash.

For the person that mentioned the shield vibrating and causing the problem, I still believe that to be correct. Now that it is shorter, I can 'hide' behind it and its almost totally wind free. I tried at full height and it was still turbulent.

I have a few pieces of wisdom to share that I leanred on this adventure.

1. When masking, tape from the bottom up. otherwise when you stencil and cut from the top down it peels the tape off.
2. The blue tape is MUCH better than normal brown tape.
3. If you are going to use a scribe (compass), take the needle out, it cuts right through the tape if it slips off the top of the shield.
4. Dont push too hard with the orbital, the thin edge of the shield will cut into the pad under the sandpaper
5. winshield bolts are tough, dont drill the heads off, just cut em in half and split with a wedge
6. replacement bolts can be had at the dealer for $4 EACH!!!!

Old 05-17-2006, 02:34 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,917 Likes on 818 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pat

Hey Clammy,

The windshield is a snap to trim, not hard to do a good job on it. Bill Norse has a good DIY post on it. The buffeting, acording to a thread from about 2 weeks ago, is mostly caused by winfd coming up from under the shield. I put fork deflectors on mine and a forkbag over the bars to plug the hole between the light and the bottom of the shield and all the buffeting went away. Some of the posts in that thread also show a correlation with the type of helmet used - full face seemed to be the worst offenders.
Yeah, tell me about it!!! Yesterday, I went for a ride down the highway to test out the windshield. I was wearing my 1/2 helmet and the buffeting was there, but not unbearable, even at 85 mph. Today, it was raining, so I put the windshield on to test how it would perform in the rain, and I wore a full-face helmet. At about 70 mph, I thought my head was going to shake right off my neck!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]