General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bah Austin cop at rally....

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 07:01 PM
cactus789
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cop pulled me over the other day and asked, You now why I'm doing this?
I said ya, cause you got all C's in high school......

Old 06-14-2009, 07:13 PM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by cactus789
Cop pulled me over the other day and asked, You now why I'm doing this?
I said ya, cause you got all C's in high school......

Old 06-14-2009, 10:01 PM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Looks to me like as long as it's not in front of the vehicle it's legal. (b) (c2)

Texas Law on Lighting

§ 547.305. RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF LIGHTS.
(a) A motor vehicle lamp or illuminating device, other than a headlamp,
spotlamp, auxiliary lamp, turn signal lamp, or emergency vehicle or school bus warning lamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300 candlepower shall be directed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam strikes the roadway at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.
(b) Except as expressly authorized by law, a person may not operate or move equipment or a vehicle, other than a police vehicle,
with a lamp or device that displays a red light visible from directly in front of the center of the equipment or vehicle.
(c) A person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light unless
the equipment is:
(1) used as specifically authorized by this chapter;
or
(2) a running lamp, headlamp, tail lamp, backup lamp, or turn signal lamp that is used as authorized by law.
(d) A vehicle may be equipped with alternately flashing lighting equipment described by Section 547.701 or 547.702 only if
the vehicle is:
(1) a school bus;
(2) an authorized emergency vehicle;
(3) a church bus that has the words "church bus" printed on the front and rear of the bus so as to be clearly
discernable to other vehicle operators;
(4) a tow truck while under the direction of a law enforcement officer at the scene of an accident or while hooking up
to a disabled vehicle on a roadway; or
(5) a tow truck with a mounted light bar which has turn signals and stop lamps in addition to those required by Sections
547.322, 547.323, and 547.324, Transportation Code.
(e) A person may not operate highway maintenance or service equipment, including snow-removal equipment, that is not equipped with lamps or that does not display lighted lamps as required by the standards and specifications adopted by the Texas Department of Transportation.
(f) In this section "tow truck" means a motor vehicle or mechanical device that is adapted or used to tow, winch, or move a
disabled vehicle.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended
by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 380, § 1, eff. July 1, 1999.

Last edited by silvrbill; 06-14-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:03 PM
bklanecky
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by digz`
Was at the ROT rally in Austin this weekend and a cop pulls up beside me and tells me my brake light is way to bright and cant be blinking or as he put it a "Strobe light". Only emergency vehicles can have that , he tells me that he should write me a ticket for it. Well i told him its a brandnew bike and came off the showroom floor with it , he sad HD doesnt care about selling legal bikes. I knew he didnt care but i said it anyway

First thing i thought of was hmmm wtf so me being seen better than anyone else in among 1000 drunk people is bad? Then my 2nd thought was dude STFU and leave me alone asswipe

Just thought i should vent to you guys

BTW my tailight is a Brightasslight BAL-1
+1 on the BAL-1. Love this thing. Do you have it on one of the DOT-compliant settings?

Old 06-14-2009, 10:25 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got the same tail lights, and I've had more than 1-2 folks pull up next to me and say, "Man, those things ROCK! They jumped out at me, and really got my attention. Where'd you get em?" So they really do work!! No ticket, just keep ridin', and don't worry about it.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:14 AM
lviguy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The worst it should be is a fix-it ticket. So you take the magnet, program it to standard brightness and no fancy program, get a cop to sign of that it now complies, and then ride home and set it back.

That's one of the great things of the BAL-1, you can program it on the bike in 2 minutes flat with the magnet they give you. Let the LEO's get writer's cramp.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:30 AM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by lviguy
Let the LEO's get writer's cramp.
Cramp maybe but he's getting paid, not wasting his free time on his day off. You can always ask for the ticket and when he shows up it most likely will be on overtime and he might thank you.

Twenty years I waited to hear the guy that said screw you give me the ticket I don't care, blah blah, all I heard were stories.

Last edited by EricD10563; 06-15-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:52 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by digz`
Was at the ROT rally in Austin this weekend and a cop pulls up beside me and tells me my brake light is way to bright and cant be blinking or as he put it a "Strobe light". Only emergency vehicles can have that , he tells me that he should write me a ticket for it. Well i told him its a brandnew bike and came off the showroom floor with it , he sad HD doesnt care about selling legal bikes. I knew he didnt care but i said it anyway

First thing i thought of was hmmm wtf so me being seen better than anyone else in among 1000 drunk people is bad? Then my 2nd thought was dude STFU and leave me alone asswipe

Just thought i should vent to you guys

BTW my tailight is a Brightasslight BAL-1
Was it the same Officer Tubby who tasered the dangerous 72 year old granny recently.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:20 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

It's a wonder that I don't hear or read about it on the news. Some of you must be kicking cops asses all the time.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:22 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

I think we are referencing the bad cop OP put in the title. There is bad in every group, diff being you cant kick a cops a$$, without serious reprecusions, doesnt mean some dont need one though.

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
It's a wonder that I don't hear or read about it on the news. Some of you must be kicking cops asses all the time.

Quick Reply: Bah Austin cop at rally....