General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud pipes suck!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009 | 09:31 AM
wide03
6th Gear

hey sully what about deer, you dont have any of those in you rural area? well i do and believe me i have seen them litteraly stop and/or turn when i am goining down the hiway at70mph at 530 in the mornin. i guess the 4x4 drivin flat bed with every thing he owns just thrown on the back and more holes in his pipes if he has pipes doesnt bother you at all.ill keep my loud pipes even at age 47 and if you dont like it you suck the short baffles out for me. damn i almost lost it on that one!

Old 06-14-2009 | 09:41 AM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member

Old 06-14-2009 | 10:52 AM
The Architect
Banned

I disagree with that crap about loud pipes saving lives, just an excuse to be obnoxious and draw some attention to your assless chaps while you make as much noise as humanly possible making your weekly run to the Harley dealership. Most folks that ride Harleys are incredibly insecure. The funny thing is when these folks are all about their loud pipes, but then complain about fart-cans on shitbox cars and Jap bikes with the baffles removed.

Old 06-14-2009 | 11:05 AM
chopfury
Cruiser

Seriously what the heck is an example of a loud pipe (and I'm not talking about the extremes). All people say is loud vs quiet but there is so much room in between. It's not a dichotomy here, volume is on a continuum, all this talk about loud vs. quiet makes absolutely no real sense since everyone is talking about different things.

Old 06-14-2009 | 11:24 AM
Foot Patrol
Advanced

I recently bought a 1997 Fatboy with straight pipes that were as loud as any I have heard. I live in a quiet neighborhood and was concerned that the noise would disturb them and I would get letters from our home owners association. We have a lot of **** retentive types. So I put new V&H Longshots on the bike with heat sheilds. They were not as loud but still much louder than the stock pipes being put on today.

Anyway I finally received my first complaint. The neighbor across the road is upset that I put new pipes on as they are not as loud or sound as good as the other one did. You just can't please everyone can you!!!! :-p

Last edited by Foot Patrol; 06-14-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-14-2009 | 11:24 AM
Lures
Road Warrior

This is America (for now) and you have the right to voice your opinion, & I respect that. You should respect the rights of those who prefer loud pipes & support the fight to defeat idiotic legislation. Sure they are loud, but no louder than the bus or semi or train that goes by, or the jet that flies over or the neighbor who mows his lawn on a Sunday morning. If you want peace & quiet, move to the country where traffic is minimal & the only thing to disturb your life is the occasional bird. In short, quit being an old crotchety guy, get on your bike, ride & enjoy life & let others do the same.

Last edited by Lures; 06-14-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-14-2009 | 11:25 AM
THEFATONE
Banned

Not everyone who rides a bike with loud pipes really gives a s*it what you or anyone else thinks of the disturbance,including me. By the way aren't the loud unrestricted pipes already illegal both by noise level and epa regulations,so who gives a flying f*uck !

Last edited by THEFATONE; 06-14-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-14-2009 | 11:36 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

I KNEW that at some point this tool the architect would chime in with some negative comment about "the average Harley rider". Every one of your posts classifies most of us "average Harley rider" negatively. Dude, why don't you just go join a Honda forum and quit pissing on us here? You're a butt bandit and no disclaimer at the bottom of your posts will make up for that.

Old 06-14-2009 | 11:39 AM
The Architect
Banned

Originally Posted by Lures
This is America (for now) and you have the right to voice your opinion, & I respect that. You should respect the rights of those who prefer loud pipes & support the fight to defeat idiotic legislation. Sure they are loud, but no louder than the bus or semi or train that goes by, or the jet that flies over or the neighbor who mows his lawn on a Sunday morning. If you want peace & quiet, move to the country where traffic is minimal & the only thing to disturb your life is the occasional bird. In short, quit being an old crotchety guy, get on your bike, ride & enjoy life & let others do the same.

None of those things are illegal, BTW, but those ungodly loud pipes on many bikes are. Why would anyone support your right to create a public nuisance?

Old 06-14-2009 | 11:42 AM
Boo67
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by The Architect
I disagree with that crap about loud pipes saving lives, just an excuse to be obnoxious and draw some attention to your assless chaps while you make as much noise as humanly possible making your weekly run to the Harley dealership. Most folks that ride Harleys are incredibly insecure. The funny thing is when these folks are all about their loud pipes, but then complain about fart-cans on shitbox cars and Jap bikes with the baffles removed.
So now we know why you ride a Harley...but what does that have to do with the rest of us?

Quick Reply: Loud pipes suck!!!!