General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud pipes suck!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009 | 08:33 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Smile

What a refreshingly different topic....loud pipes? fact or fiction? Always promotes a tighter bond amongst us and we all show respect for each other's opinion. OK OK I am being sarcastic....this is not nearly as important a topic as ...say...fingerless gloves

One of the things, besides my puppy, that keeps me young is knowing I can't get the aftermarket pipes of MY choice for one of those little electric scooter chairs.

John

Old 06-14-2009 | 08:42 AM
garand
Road Master

I like loud pipes myself, but as for them saving lives is not true. If I'm cut off its nice to be able to pass the driver's window and give him a nice blast from my pipes.

Have you ever noticed that when driving your car that you don't hear the pipes until they are next to you and passing, placing you behind them. The loud exhaust isn't going to keep someone from pulling in front of you, turning across your path, or cutting you off, because they cannot hear you inside a car especially with music etc...

Old 06-14-2009 | 09:07 AM
foxtrot
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Trailfndr

Using your pipes to get the attention of a distracted cager is a good thing...Hell, I do that myself. We all need to do whatever possible to keep ourselves safe

I have no problem with loud pipes..only with the fools that think they have to rev them up at every light and thru parking areas and neighborhoods simply to annoy people.

Those are the ones that are going to continue causing places to outlaw them. If these type of folks keep it going, none of us will have the ability to change our pipes from stock. Lots of cities and counties are cracking down on them, we need to police ourselves before all of us lose out to a few that have no respect for anyone else.
I used to think loud pipes were a show off thing, and I suppose for some they are, but when I bought my bike the salesman educated me on the situation.
I still think 'some' are excessive.

Old 06-14-2009 | 09:10 AM
sully
|
Advanced

Whoof! I didn't think my short rant would ignite a sh**storm. Trailfndr & dog155 get it, but after riding 200 miles a day during the weekends and 40 miles roundtrip to work (rain or shine) I finally hit my limit about idiots that make AS MUCH NOISE AS POSSIBLE with no respect for others. I live near a rural crossroads and some riders cannot resist the temptation to accelerate as quickly as possible (read: loudly) to the 55mph speed limit regardless of the 15 houses grouped in our hamlet; shoot, by the time they shift to 3rd while driving normally they're out of our neighborhood and only disturb the cows. Don't even get me started about riders that intentionally blast their pipes near horse pastures! Respect and consideration are necessary- I try to make as little noise as possible when passing the Amish with whom we share the road around here.

Old 06-14-2009 | 09:12 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

It's a Rebel thing to have loud pipes. I don't like loud pipes either but on the other hand, I don't like little old Blue haired ladys doing 35mph in a 70mph speed zone either.

Old 06-14-2009 | 09:14 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl
Sully, is this how you really feel or are you just getting everyone's goat? Obviously pretty easy to do on this subject. Noticed you haven't been back to defend this opinion you just had to let everyone know about.
Ha! GeorgiaGirl you are definitely on top of things! This is my kind of moderator, a little latitude but with the ever present watchful eye!!! You must have children!!!

Old 06-14-2009 | 09:17 AM
tc88hog
Advanced

Originally Posted by sully
Yeah, I thought loud pipes were cool when I was 20.... I now notice that the bikes I encounter while riding (those with unmuffled pipes) are totally offensive and disturbing! Don't riders realize that the small minority of rude riders will eventually cause legislation to get passed that will restrict our ability to ride- based solely on the actions of some insecure babies who want the world to notice them and their loud scooters? They make me laugh, they make me cringe, but I wish they'd just find another way to show their manhood.

I've been riding for 40 years and the last 15 years of Harley popularity has really dragged our sport into the toilet....
Hey Sully

If it wasn't for "the last 15 years of Harley popularity" there wouldn't be a HDMC today and you my friend would have to find something else to complain about.

Old 06-14-2009 | 09:21 AM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by magforce
to each his own buddy.
What he said......

Its not the bikers that are the problem its the handfull of goodie-two-shoes looking to change the world to their liking and forgeting ours is a country of choice.

Old 06-14-2009 | 09:25 AM
DanDeuce
Road Captain

I liked em when I was 20 and I guess I'm still a kid at heart - cause I still like them . Thats a good percentage why I bought a Harley !

Sounds like you need to trade your Harley in on a Scooter - an electric scooter !

Old 06-14-2009 | 09:29 AM
DanDeuce
Road Captain

Originally Posted by garand
I like loud pipes myself, but as for them saving lives is not true. If I'm cut off its nice to be able to pass the driver's window and give him a nice blast from my pipes.

Have you ever noticed that when driving your car that you don't hear the pipes until they are next to you and passing, placing you behind them. The loud exhaust isn't going to keep someone from pulling in front of you, turning across your path, or cutting you off, because they cannot hear you inside a car especially with music etc...
I'm loosing my hearing over the years and I can still hear a Harley behind me and quite aways behind me at that ! Music to my ears and I'll slow just a bit so I can get a good look / listen as they go by . Aw , the simply things I live for !

Quick Reply: Loud pipes suck!!!!