General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Campers Check In....Tips and Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 06:37 PM
okieblue62
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Motorcycle Campers Check In....Tips and Advice Please

Okay I'll admit it, I enjoy my comfort while out touring. Cable TV, A/C, hot water and Ice machines.

Thanks to our new administration in Washington, for the first time in 5 years we wont be getting any bonuses this year. Bonus money is what I use to fund my two wheeled vacations.

The only way I can afford to take the trip to Texas, New Mexico, Colorado and Utah I had planned this year is to rough it and do it on the cheap.

I have never camped out on a bike trip before. I need some advice and tips pronto. C'mon all you road warriors, help a brother out with your knowledge and experience.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:52 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

In no particular order:
1) Join the KOA discount club. Although you won't always be staying in one, the card pays for itself very quickly. I like KOA for their cleanliness and family atmosphere also.
2) Small is better than big for gear, but don't pay the extra money for super-light, super-compact backpack gear. You'll be better off saving the money with the slightly larger Walmart stuff.
3) Get a small low-pressure, high-volume air pump for your air mattress (you'll definitely want one of them). Here you can spend a few extra bucks to get a tiny one. Rig it with alligator clips, a flat 2 prong, or cigarette lighter plug.
4) I like to use backpack straps to utilize the tops of my saddlebags for extra storage. The lids will close easily over the straps and you'd be surprised how much stuff will fit up there.
5) If you've got old underwear and socks that are about shot, take them with you and toss them when dirty. Makes laundry less important.
6) Match light charcoal makes cooking out a breeze. You'll eat better and save money. Get a small collapsible cooler also.
7) NEVER leave home absolutely filled to the brim.

P.S. Take a hatchet and some way to make fire.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:04 PM
okieblue62
Tourer

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
In no particular order:
1) Join the KOA discount club. Although you won't always be staying in one, the card pays for itself very quickly. I like KOA for their cleanliness and family atmosphere also.
2) Small is better than big for gear, but don't pay the extra money for super-light, super-compact backpack gear. You'll be better off saving the money with the slightly larger Walmart stuff.
3) Get a small low-pressure, high-volume air pump for your air mattress (you'll definitely want one of them). Here you can spend a few extra bucks to get a tiny one. Rig it with alligator clips, a flat 2 prong, or cigarette lighter plug.
4) I like to use backpack straps to utilize the tops of my saddlebags for extra storage. The lids will close easily over the straps and you'd be surprised how much stuff will fit up there.
5) If you've got old underwear and socks that are about shot, take them with you and toss them when dirty. Makes laundry less important.
6) Match light charcoal makes cooking out a breeze. You'll eat better and save money. Get a small collapsible cooler also.
7) NEVER leave home absolutely filled to the brim.

P.S. Take a hatchet and some way to make fire.
Wonder if the HD air suspension pump would double as an air mattress pump?

Do you have any recommendations on a good, easily packable tent?

Old 06-13-2009, 07:13 PM
chuck2000RK
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the most recent hot bike baggers magazine has a motorcycle camping kit they feature. it looks worth checking out. it is the august issue of hot bike baggers and look on page 14

Old 06-13-2009, 07:24 PM
snakeinthegrass
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to disagree about buying a Wally World Tent. You can get into some really bad weather and it is doubtfull that a cheap tent will stand up to Mother Nature. I have a small single person North Face tent but in the market for a two person tent. Looking at the Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight (2 person) which has a large following for its durability and excellent ability to handle bad weather. A small tent can get claustrophobic real quick and the ability to change clothes inside is a real chore. A cheap tent is fine as long as the weather is good. With a trip like your contemplating my humble opinion is spend the money for a decent tent. If you need advice about good tents, go to whiteblaze.net or com and search for tents. The more compact and lighter is better. My suggestion would be between 4 and 6 lbs max. You will be carrying a lot of other gear that takes up space. Another suggestion is a good quality air mattress, either a Therm-A-Rest or Big Agnes. If you don't get a good nights sleep you will be miserable riding the next day. I am sure other forum members will have input on camping gear and personal experience with tent camping.

Last edited by snakeinthegrass; 06-13-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:58 PM
psyco1
Road Master

Look at backpacker equipment, it's light, small and easy to pack. For tents get one that's a bit larger than you'd think you'd need, like if you're going two up, get a three man tent, having the extra space in the tent can mean not getting your stuff soaked during a nighttime downpour. Having a vestibule or a tarp you can cook under goes a long way to making it enjoyable. Get a ground cloth/ footprint to keep rocks or sticks from making holes in that waterproof floor.
Other observations...
Eureka makes good tents for the price.
Those self-inflateable sleeping pads are a godsend.
The Coleman 442 stove is pretty much bulletproof, and you can use unleaded in it.
A lot of people swear by the MSR Whisperlite stove, though I've never used one.
If you have the room, a camp chair's nice.
Mountian House dehydrated meals are nice and easy but expensive, same with MRE's.

The guys at advrider.com do this all over the world and have a lot of experience posted there.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51
http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Here's a good backpacking store.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Home_

Old 06-13-2009, 08:02 PM
okieblue62
Tourer

Originally Posted by psyco1
Look at backpacker equipment, it's light, small and easy to pack. For tents get one that's a bit larger than you'd think you'd need, like if you're going two up, get a three man tent, having the extra space in the tent can mean not getting your stuff soaked during a nighttime downpour. Having a vestibule or a tarp you can cook under goes a long way to making it enjoyable. Get a ground cloth/ footprint to keep rocks or sticks from making holes in that waterproof floor.
Other observations...
Eureka makes good tents for the price.
Those self-inflateable sleeping pads are a godsend.
The Coleman 442 stove is pretty much bulletproof, and you can use unleaded in it.
A lot of people swear by the MSR Whisperlite stove, though I've never used one.
If you have the room, a camp chair's nice.
Mountian House dehydrated meals are nice and easy but expensive, same with MRE's.

The guys at advrider.com do this all over the world and have a lot of experience posted there.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51
http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Here's a good backpacking store.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Home_
Great advice by all so far. Let me narrow it down a bit more though. I wont be cooking out on the road. Just lodging under the stars for the most part.Its the motel costs that are outrageous. I can live on 99 cent Mickey D cheeseburgers if I have to.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:18 PM
psyco1
Road Master

Bring a few tools for basic maintenence, just in case and just the tools for the things you know how to fix. Zip ties can fix a lot of things long enough to get yourself somewhere where you can fix it right.

Use seam sealer on the stitching of the rain fly and tent floor and waterproofing spray on the fabric of the rain fly, or it WILL leak.

Keep things small and light, it keeps the bike more managable and makes things easier to pack.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:10 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,396 Likes on 960 Posts

Bitchin advice all. Here is a pic of my Ultra with camping gear on my last trip to New Mexico. Folding camp chair, 7 ft.by 7ft. tent and light weight sleeping bag bungeed on top of trunk. I don't carry cooking gear. Food is every where. From 5 star resturants to convience store burritos. Loaf of bread in saddlebag and sandwich meat in the cooler if ya get the munchies while camping. Air mattress is a must for me. Small, high volume pump for it. Try to schedule your ride to camp at state or national parks. Usually bout $12.00 to $15.00. I have used road side parks in remote areas. Also I take a small camp latern powered by 4 D cell batteries. Comes in very handy. Be careful, be safe and have fun.

Attached Thumbnails Motorcycle Campers Check In....Tips and Advice Please-n.m.-012.jpg  
Old 06-13-2009, 09:20 PM
dan1551
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coleman air pump for the air mattress works great I normally use all cheap stuff ......coleman ultra lite 1 burner to make coffee!

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Campers Check In....Tips and Advice Please