General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Campers Check In....Tips and Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 02:16 AM
yk.hd
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frenchman
They are hard to get. Of course, every Kukri you can get on the web says "genuine military issue", but they are not. Most former Ghurkas would rather sell their wifes then their Kukri. So, you're lucky to have one, they are more ten rare. It is, IMO, the best blade you can get for the buck. Beats the US marine KaBar hands down. In 1988, we had a platoon of Ghurkas to pass the commando course in Djibouti, and I saw them train with their Kukris. Scary is all I can say.

I definitely agree that they are hard to get. Funny story how he got it actually. He and his platoon were ''working'' with a platoon of Ghurkas and he hadn't seen any of them draw their knives - so he drew one of theirs for them. Right off his belt. The Ghurka immediately fell to his knees. My friend didn't know what was going on since he hadn't heard of their rituals regarding the Kukri. So after some explanation, he was told that he had to keep the knife and was basically the owner of that Ghurka's life. After that incident he was welcomed to join the Ghurkas on a mission and he said the same thing about them using their knives... scary.

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Great advise from everyone here. My only concern was the following.

I'd much prefer a .500 S&W. Just something about spraying pepper at a bear doesn't offer me much comfort.
I agree that your .500 Smithie will be much more effective should you have to deal with a bear. It is my experience however, that traveling is easier when not carrying a sidearm since it is very common for me to cross the border into Alaska... So I just make do and keep my camp clean.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:20 AM
psyco1
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yea, an important one....Wet Wipes stored someplace handy, you never know when you're going to have to go RIGHT NOW out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:55 PM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

See my sig in regards to K-BARs.

Seen both. US Marines are certainly outstanding soldiers, and they certainly have a lot of strength. But when it comes to hand to hand/knifefighting, they are not even close to what i've seen. Marines were impressive, but the Gurkhas were scary. I just try to be objective, absolutely not trying to put down anyone. Both military units have my highest respect, without a doubt.
Weren't we at "camping"? Sorry for the hijack.