General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When I retire...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009 | 07:55 AM
garand
|
Road Master
Default When I retire...

I'm active duty Army and I'm amazed at how many guys say, "Man nice bike! I'm gonna get one of those when I retire." I can't understand this mindset. #1 we only live once. #2 Active Military are paid quite well these days. Especially with bonus money and deployments. #3 A guy could by a bike now and have it paid for before retirement and have all this time to enjoy it. Lastly, why would someone assume they can afford it after retirement? Granted, they'll have a pension on top of any other job they get. Still, I felt the same way until my dad explained to me that I have the best job security and I have youth and time on my side. Life expenses don't just disappear when you get older.

Then again, I'm actually a bit different from most. I only have a house debt and motorcycle debt. I chose to own a used Caravan and used Dodge Ram so I have the title to both. Priorities man; gotta have my bike. I'm not waiting until retirement.

I guess I don't really have a question...just curious why so many guys deprive themselves of this kind of enjoyment.

Old 06-13-2009 | 07:58 AM
garand
|
Road Master

Another thing: I really feel sorry for the guys that just drool over bikes but say, "My wife said she'll divorce me if I buy a bike." I'd call her bluff. I can't stand seeing guys get manipulated like that.

Old 06-13-2009 | 08:00 AM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member

I never waited on anything! Get it while you can!

Old 06-13-2009 | 08:04 AM
bksmoky
Road Warrior

garand----I am in total agreement with you. Payments for the most of us is jsut how it is. As long as it is "well managed debt" and not the over your head type.

Too many folks wait for the so called "Golden" years only to find they might not be so "Golden".

Life can change directions at a moments notice.

Enjoy the ride and thanks for your service!!

Old 06-13-2009 | 08:05 AM
BlackRob
Tourer

I agree 100%. The first thing I did when I joined the Army in 1991 was buy a brand new Sportster with the money I earned in Basic Training. I've been in for 18 years now and have gone through a lot of bikes in that time. It is one thing that has kept me sane through it all. I'm almost done with my 5th combat deployment now (about 45 days left) and am seriously thinking about a new Cross Bones with the money I've saved.

My wife threatens to leave me every time I talk about a new bike. I've bought lots of bikes but she never makes good on her promise. Now she's starting to look at the Tri Glides, so we'll where it goes from there.

Besides, a man without a vice is goddamn boring!

Last edited by BlackRob; 06-13-2009 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-13-2009 | 08:12 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member

thanks for y'all's service. it's greatly appreciated!! to paraphrase Col Jessep 'it provides me the blanket of freedom' to choose how to live my life.

way back in my youth, a much older mentor told me "you can afford anything you really want. you'll find a way to pay for it". he was, and still is, right.

as for as waiting - I say go for it now. we're not promised tomorrow..... we only have today.

Old 06-13-2009 | 08:32 AM
Ole Coyote
Road Master

Originally Posted by AtkRWC
I never waited on anything! Get it while you can!
Cause tomorrow you might be dead.

Old 06-13-2009 | 08:44 AM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ole Coyote
Cause tomorrow you might be dead.
_____ YEP _____

Old 06-13-2009 | 08:57 AM
electricstart
Road Warrior

Thanks for the service ,enjoy the ride.

Old 06-13-2009 | 11:37 AM
Trey Hogger
Road Master

I agree - couldn't count the times I've had someone complement me on my bike and mention hoping to afford one in the future. I tell them not to stall - you'll regret the 20 plus years of riding you miss as a young man/woman. And it's true, saving your "fun" for retirement means you actually might miss it altogether. S**t HAPPENS!

Quick Reply: When I retire...