General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ethanol damage to bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 07:30 PM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ethanol damage to bikes?

Came across this article http://*******.com/qwkfe5which discusses problems in the ethanol industry and their pressure on the EPA to raise the ethanol content in gas in order to save their industry.

Seems some of the ethanol blending of gas hasn't been too accurate and sometimes have exceeded the current 10% level which in turn has caused engine damage in a lot of cars.

With the prospect that the EPA (who answers to no-one) could allow/demand higher ethanol levels, I'm curious if anyone has had similar sort of engine damage in their bikes attributed to higher than the mandated ethanol levels.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:03 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

I dont know how you could attribute any damage to the ethanol, but here in Illinois where I am there is no choice for fuel. Its all stated at 10%.
So far, so good.
MikeM

Old 06-12-2009, 08:29 PM
mtlakehog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's here too, I can tell a difference in the MPG!

Old 06-12-2009, 08:32 PM
trslim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No problems here either.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:09 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Having learned from the alcohol burning drag racers, all you have to do to offset the water resulting from the burning of ethanol/alcohol is to add some "top cylinder" lubricant to the fuel...What the additive does is coat the upper cylinder walls/valve stems with a fine film of oil to prevent moisture from accumulating and corroding the upper cylinder wall and valve stems. The aviators claim that some of the products will reduce the octane of the fuel but you can offset that with using premium or other additives to boost the octane. I've been using Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas for over 20-yrs and had a set of valve guides/valves in the 900 last 19-yrs.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:13 PM
captaincaveman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SportsterBob
Having learned from the alcohol burning drag racers, all you have to do to offset the water resulting from the burning of ethanol/alcohol is to add some "top cylinder" lubricant to the fuel...What the additive does is coat the upper cylinder walls/valve stems with a fine film of oil to prevent moisture from accumulating and corroding the upper cylinder wall and valve stems. The aviators claim that some of the products will reduce the octane of the fuel but you can offset that with using premium or other additives to boost the octane. I've been using Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas for over 20-yrs and had a set of valve guides/valves in the 900 last 19-yrs.
what's your mix?

Old 06-12-2009, 09:21 PM
RexBuck
Road Master

Seems that the damage is primarily to the fuel system. When a fuel pump fails, most mechanics do not test the ethanol content of the gas in the tank but some have and have found much higher than the maximum 10% allowed. I was wondering if anyone had had fuel system problems and had their gas tested attributing failure to excess ethanol.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:26 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by captaincaveman
what's your mix?
.4 oz/gal of gas....I also found that the oil will soak into any carbon and slowly burn it off over time. With the newer engines that is not of much concern because they burn so much cleaner than the the 'ol hemispherical heads...With fuel injection it is probably not an issue at all! An 'ol timer who lived next door taught me alot years ago....I soaked up everything he passed along....He was one helluva 45" Servicar fanatic and experienced engine builder!

Old 06-15-2009, 08:26 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

boat dealer in Missouri reported recently that prior to state mandated 10% ethanol that he rebuilt about 60 or 70 carburators a year. after the mandate he has averaged close to 700 a year. in automobiles the ethanol leaves a black residue in the runners of the intake manifolds. luckily here in Bama i can still find ethanol-free gas. I'll pay the difference in price and make it up in better mileage.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:02 AM
cadman311
Club Member

The fear of something different is the only real problem.
It work great in all my harleys.

Quick Reply: Ethanol damage to bikes?