General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ethanol damage to bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 10:19 PM
bennenrkc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second EG Ultra Classic, to add to his argument, if ethanol is a problem for vehicles, then manufacturers are to blame as they can clearly make cars that handle ethanol for example flex fuiel vehicles. Further if corn prices are higher the need for subsidizing other farming operations, are reduced, equating to a wash.

While I think alot of arguments about how the sky is falling in regards to the environment, use of ethanol helps satisfy the EPA in reduced emissions, we should all be thankfull that there are other ways for the EPA to reduce emissions than ruining how are bikes run.

One more argument, we as a general public like the fact that the Banks, Auto Industry, and a large number of the population in food stamps and other welfare programs receive government help, in both times of trouble as well as on a routine basis. Yet people from the city that are unfamiliar with both the farming process and how their food gets to their table complain about farm subsidies, and dont realize that alot of the same programs that give both ethanol companies and farmers subsidies also are the ones that provide for food stamps and other projects that benefit those in the city, and the general public.

So when the people that work hard on providing things to be turned into foodstock, be it grain for processing or grain for ethanol and feed for animals are able to actually turn a profit instead of losing money on a routine basis instead of every few years so that those in the city can mantain lower food bills. Remember the cry about high food costs this winter and the blame that was placed on ethanol for the increased cost. Which if we are going to start blaming ethanol for that again I will be willing to give you a full breakdown of many different food products and show you that the high corn prices actually helped America's economy, and was one of the only things that helped...

Sorry this rant went on a little longer then I initially thought but it really bothers me some of the comments that are made by people without fully understanding the situation.

And for those that will make comments about the low number of posts that I have, I am new and try to limit my comments to contribution.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:28 PM
bennenrkc
Tourer

Originally Posted by Brianc9876
EG your rhetoric might be masked in pro America patriotism but it is clear you are a flaming liberal. Your wonderful ethanol has already f'ed up my expensive car and it will do it to a whole shitload of other automobiles. I hope it doesn't happen to you or your tune will change rather quickly.
All I ask is how do manufactures manage to make flex fuel vehicles, maybe a reevaluation of your expensive car manufacture and their ability to engineer a car capable of maintaining any form of reliability. I am young but between my parent's Expensive (reliable) cars, and my older model vehicles we have never had any problems other then a little injections problem that are easily taken care of with injector cleaner we nor our dealers, who happen to be family, have run across substantial damage to their vehicles due to ethanol. And my parents average 60,000+ miles a year. Not to mention the number of vehicles that my dealers maintain.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:31 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use pure gasoline whenever I can. Yes, you can find pure gas if you make an effort, even in Ethanol only states. Google is your friend in this regard. The pumps are labeled something like 'For collector cars, boats & motorcycles only'.

Your motorcycle or cage will not self destruct if you use it. Vehicle manufactures have for a long time made components that come in contact with Ethanol and the acids that it produces when burnt resistant to corrosion and deterioration, if you don't use more than 10% (85% for E85 vehicles). I just don't want to put something in my bike (or cage) that is bad for it — but only if you use more than 10%. I've noticed my owners manual does not caution against using 100% gasoline.

Here is what Ethanol does for us;

Lower fuel milage

Higher grain prices that filters through the rest of our food products

Environmental damage through increased clearing of land

Tax payers subsidize it

But it does provide a limited number of farmers a good living... So it's not all bad!

If you want more info you can Google Ethanol and the University of Minnesota. The U of M spent 5 years studying the issue. A lot of guys with PHD's after their names said in so many words just stop! This is crazy.

Last edited by Potato_Potato; 06-16-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Brianc9876
Tourer

My issue is NO ONE monitors the gas stations and far more often than not the tanks contain in excess of 10% Ethanol. I should be very very clear, 10% Ethanol is not the substantial problem, it's the fact that too many gas stations are unmonitored and contain excessive ethanol contents, And this is from Shell, Mobil and Exxon

Old 06-17-2009, 05:26 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by EG Ultra Classic
Quote:
"Where are you living? Gasoline is subsidized in Iran, Mexico, and I think maybe Venezuela."

What do you think the US Military has been doing in the Mid East for the past 8 years? Cost? Figure out that big oil military subsidy per barrel of oil. We've spent plent of blood, and treasure trying to keep those oil taps open so Big Oil can keep on with their gargantuan profits.
When the US Marines send an armed squad out to protect my corn fields from the taliban, then we can compare gov't subsidies.

And, do you have any idea of what goes on in an ethanol plant converting a bushel of yellow corn to ethanol? How about the byproducts? What they are used for? Livestock feed value?

Groceries havn't dropped any all winter and spring, where as raw corn prices have fallen in half. So who is making the profit here? How much of that price increase you talk about is directly due to raw grain prices? How much raw wheat is in a loaf of bread? How about corn in a box of cornflakes? But look at the cost increases to haul those groceries when diesel shot up. That's where the price rise came from. Ethanol was simply something they could point their finger at while they gouged the consumer.

You should do some research before you form an opinion on something you don't know **** about. ~~~~
Like I said, the 10% blend burns fine in my Ultra. I burn it in my Busa, car, pick-up, lawn mower you name it. Been burning it since it came out years back. I figure each dollar I pay for Ethanol is a dollar that never leaves this country and ends up in the pocket of a guy wanting to kill me.

How about shoving a corn field up your ***, your brain could use the company

Old 06-17-2009, 08:49 PM
trapperdick
Intermediate

Enthanol is in all gas in the US........federal regulation. It's blowing up chainsaws, snowmobiles and just about any other small engine. It isn't helping motocycles and automobiles either.....our bonehead government is shoving it down our throat just like everything else. Money, votes and corruption is what it's all about..........TD