General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Customer Service SUCKS

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009 | 05:50 PM
10_amp
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hammer107
How long after you took off from the parking lot did this happen? Was it the very first turn?
No, i went straight, then turned right, then left and it locked turning left.

Old 06-18-2009 | 05:54 PM
10_amp
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Double_Trouble
I am all for getting free repairs if you can con someone in to it, but I still personally believe you locked the lock and forgot to swing the bars into the locked position. Then when you left, since the bars were moving, you didnt even think about the lock....first time they were pulled far enough around the lock engaged and you hit the ground. As said earlier in this post, I have seen several people do this.....some very LONG time riders at that. I still maintain that if there was even a SLIGHT chance for the lock to "self engage" there would be a massive safety recall and we would all hear about it.

IF I am dick head and this really happened the way you say (you are POSITIVE you never locked those forks) then you would be doing a grave injustice to everyone on these forums and all H-D riders by not pursuing this legally....per haps even through a class action. The potential public/rider risk for this type of problem would be very significant.

No I dont think your being a dick. After I get everything sorted out i will post the document from Harley about the problem and the RO from the dealer.

Old 06-18-2009 | 10:23 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by xbonesbruiser
so no one else has had this problem? should I have second thoughts on buying an HD? I dont want to be doing a 100mph and it do that,wouldnt be to pretty
The steering lock in applied at full left. If you have the forks at full left riding 100 mph the lock is the least of your worries.

I am curious about the reason for replacing the frame too. If it was a lock cylinder problem they would just replace the lock.

Old 06-20-2009 | 01:20 AM
kerberos
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 10_amp
2009 1200N the frame was allowing the fork lock to slip in and out and locked while driving. I was only going about 5mph when it happenend and really just care about getting my new bike back. All i want is my bike or a replacement and they refuse to replace the entire bike only the frame.
Forgot to unlock the fork before you took off, huh?

LOL

Old 06-20-2009 | 02:36 PM
JBA111
Road Captain

lets see you been ridein since nov, so you got what a couple k miles, and you go down with a locked front fork and its the frame flexing @ 5MPH that caused it, and you get 3K in damages to your body!!
man take some advice from a guy whose rode Harleys for 40yrs,
get the freek off of 2 wheels!!!!!!
and if you dont have enough sense to take that advise then look up the term Step Off. and you might want to add that to your monthly practice drills.........

Old 06-20-2009 | 08:58 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member

I'll call Bull $hit here at least on the frame replacement as part of the lock defect as the frame is ONLY a holder for the lock and has ABSOLUTELY no function of the lock. The ONLY way the lock can engage is for the bars to be turned FULL lock left for the lock plunger to engage a notch in the neck stem attached to the bottom tree, the only way for the plunger to engage the tree is fo the key to get turned to the lock position. Now the lock can be turned to LOCK without the bars turned full left but the NEXT time they are the lock will engage. It is a crude but EXTREMELY simple, reliable and fail proof system that has worked since the 50's!

I would suspect that customer service is tired of having you call every other day to check on something they told you is X amount of time out, and they WILL NOT tolerate attitude, I have seen them drop what they said they would do when a customer starts giving attitude.

To the poster that stated thier lock "FELL OUT" because it wasnt checked at PDI, there isnt a dealer in the country that would check that. Its not something that is even remotely part of a PDI.

BTW people do a lot of things they dont normally do when the first start riding and coming home drunk from the bar............................................... like lock a lock they normally dont!

Last edited by hog-doc; 06-20-2009 at 09:00 PM.