Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing a Model...Dyna or Softail

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 03:49 PM
rap87
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Choosing a Model...Dyna or Softail

Just a bit of background first, new member. I just turned 19 yesterday, purchased my first bike when I was 18 for $1,500 and spent 2 months working on it. It was a 1984 Virago...it ran good, but man was she a site for sore eyes lol. I sold her after 3 months and bought an 06 Road Star 1700. Thats what I am currently riding around on, shes got 5k miles on it and shes my ride to Myrtle Beach this week. At heart I am a Harley fan and have always wanted one. The person that got me into riding motorcycles was my grandad and at 72 and having fought 3 different cancers hes still riding his Road King. So, at heart I wanted my first bike to be a Harley, but due to the fact that I am living on my own and rent for a 1 bedroom is 800 bucks in VB...kinda sucks. My bike comes out to being like $260 a month. I really did not want a Sportster, even if it was a Harley, it at least had to be one of the beefy models. However, I might just be able to swing a new Harley here in the future. I have a few questions for you guys if you don't mind...in helping me decide which model. My Road Star is outfitted like a Heritage Softail...I have Bub Jug Huggers on her, with Boss Bags, Shorty Windshield, and a Corbin Dual Tour. For the most part I love the seating position I am 6'1 150 pds. I however do find my self consistely wanted to put the edge of my boots more towards the front of the floorboard, if Foward Controls can be geared with stirrups to be comfy I'd imagine I'd be wanting them . I am also a windshield person...not a big one...defintely one I can see over. I loved having the windshield off, but I got tired of getting hit by flying rocks and what not. I also tend to like to keep stuff in saddle bags. Like my glasses, gloves, paperwork and what not. So I guess I want style and utilty all in one without being an old mans bike... Favorite models in terms of looks are Softail Deuce, Heritage Softail, Softail Deluxe, Dyna Wide Glide, and "custom painted" Road Kings with shorty windshields.

Anyway here are my questions.

1. I know modern Harley's do not leak or anyting like that...was a bi-product from AMF days...over with, however why is it said that Harley do not keep up with modern technology in their bikes?
2. I tend to basically ride my bike all of the time...I don't tour all the time, but I don't mind taking road trips like to myrtle beach. 7hr drive there and back from where I am. Which Bike other than a touring is the best suited. Could a Dyna do this or is it basically only the Softails that have the style and touring capability? Is the dyna more of a round town bike specifically the Wide Glide?
3. Why does Harley not come out with a bigger motor? Is theres designed to give more torque with a smaller one or...The Japs have got as big as 2000ccs now, why the big diff?
4. I hear Harley is getting rid of the Screaming Eagle package, I would never buy them I perfer more Aftermarket like Vance and Hines, but man...thats one of the biggest parts of a Harley is the sound...**** the Metric cruisers are always trying to get theres to sound as good as Harley. Why is Harley doing a 360 on what it supports on sound.

Thanks guys, ride safe.

Old 05-16-2006, 04:33 PM
LTrain
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Choosing a Model...Dyna or Softail

ORIGINAL: rap87

1. I know modern Harley's do not leak or anyting like that...was a bi-product from AMF days...over with, however why is it said that Harley do not keep up with modern technology in their bikes?
2. I tend to basically ride my bike all of the time...I don't tour all the time, but I don't mind taking road trips like to myrtle beach. 7hr drive there and back from where I am. Which Bike other than a touring is the best suited. Could a Dyna do this or is it basically only the Softails that have the style and touring capability? Is the dyna more of a round town bike specifically the Wide Glide?
3. Why does Harley not come out with a bigger motor? Is theres designed to give more torque with a smaller one or...The Japs have got as big as 2000ccs now, why the big diff?
4. I hear Harley is getting rid of the Screaming Eagle package, I would never buy them I perfer more Aftermarket like Vance and Hines, but man...thats one of the biggest parts of a Harley is the sound...**** the Metric cruisers are always trying to get theres to sound as good as Harley. Why is Harley doing a 360 on what it supports on sound.

Thanks guys, ride safe.
$260 is more than I pay on my Dyna.

[1] You later say you like the sound, but ask why they don't update. One or the other. Notice the sound of the V-Rod. It's very diffy than that others, and it has arguably the most "modern" engine design of the HD's. Also, K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid. Less parts means easier to fix. Also, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The air cooled bikes work just fine, so why mess with success?

[2] My Dyna goes everywhere with me. I don't have a car. I've gone on >1000 mile road trips... 2 up. No fairing, no windshield, no bags. I've been hit with rocks and bugs, but on longer trips, I have a full face helmet and leather jacket/gloves, so it's not that big of a deal. The wind resistance gets to be work around 70 mph, but only rarely is that legal, so I figure if I'm going to break the law, I'll be paying for it regardless of what Johnny law says.

[3] IMHO, the Japanese bikes with bigger engines are trying to convince those that buy them that they're actually better than Harleys. Everyone who buys one usually really wants a Harley, so it's a consolation prize to get a bigger engine. Those bikes may go faster, but I rarely race. I got enough giddy-up with a stock Twin Cam and Screamin Eagle stage II to suit my needs, even 2 up. (BTW, I'm about your height, but about 100 lbs heavier, then add my 100 lb girlfriend).

[4] Blame it on the EPA. Sure, you can buy a Hummer and drive that instead, but it's illegal to make your 50 mpg bike into a 45 mpg. Really.

Old 05-16-2006, 04:51 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had both. To me the Softails are a more comfortable ride, and generally lower. Bottom line: buy what you like.

My .02 on your questions.

1. There is a lot of modern tech in Harleys (MP3 player, bluetooth etc.) , but don't forget there is a VERY large installed customer base who want them to stay just the way they are, and H-D knows where their money comes from.

2. See my very first comment.

3. Torque is king.

4. Even with mufflers a Harley has a distinct sound. The EPA has ruined a lot of good stuff. This is just one more.

Old 05-16-2006, 05:26 PM
SUPER01
Road Warrior

Welcome to the forum.
You could always get a used Harley to keep costs down, that's what I bought. My payment is a lot less than yours and my bike was 4 years old with only 6600 miles on it. Most of the time the original owner spends up to $2000 in extras that they can't recoup when they go to sell in a couple of years.
I have a Dyna Superglide and ride 2 up with the wife, longest ride was about an hour due to the passenger seat being uncomfortable for her, it is on the list to be changed. It has plenty of power with the stage 1 with aftermarket parts. I'm same ht. as you but add 110 lbs. and I can't tell you the wifes wt.

A Wide Glide would already have the forward controls and 2-up seat you're looking for.
Softtails are nice also but may cost more depending on which model.
Rent a couple that really catch your eye to help with the decision.
Good luck, your ahead of me I didn't get my first Harley till I was 38.

Old 05-16-2006, 05:27 PM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

you should do your home work it would make it alot easier. we can tell ya what we like or dislike but we are not you . only you can make your mind what you want.do your home work and you will find out that the rice bikes dont have that much.and a Harley is a Harley.

Old 05-16-2006, 05:34 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just love the fact that my Harley is not built on Japanese high tech gadgetry.
K.I.S.S. method. (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Old 05-16-2006, 07:49 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

The dyna wide glide is a great handling bike and looks good and can be fitted with saddle bags and a detachable windshield,I had a super glide and loved the heck out of it,but traded her for my new king,with your age I would go with the dyna,seems to soot your aditude [sm=biker2.gif]

Old 05-16-2006, 08:43 PM
raftgyde
Road Master

YES! I've been looking for a reason to post a pic of my old wide-glide.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3024/CD38A06D04344BA3B62DE944F78F59D5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-16-2006, 09:20 PM
OzarkHarleyguy
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: rap87

Thanks guys, ride safe.

Hi Rap,

Welcome to a very kool forum. At 19 to be able to do financially what you are doing is commendable. Before I comment on your questions I will say you are already riding a nice bike. You shelled out some dough just to get what you have. Personally I would have practiced a little delayed gratification and rode the cheap bike until I could afford what I wanted. But with that being done take care of your basic needs before you stretch yourself too thin financially. Harleys are great but I view other motorcyclists as brothers regardless of what they ride, what matters is being in the wind.

My preference is the Heritage Softail Classic. I'm 6ft1; 240lbs and my wife rides some with me. I'm long-legged but with the floor-boards I can stretch out. The windshield is the right size for me. The bike comes with the koolest bags on the planet. Its the right mix between custom and function and comfort for me.

Now regarding your questions:

1. Who cares about modern-technology?? Sure the bike isn't a stand on your head, four-cylinder wheelie king but thats not why I bought my Harley. In an ever-changing world its refreshing to find something that works and stick with it.

2. Like I said before my Heritage for me is the right mix of every reason I bought it.

3. With a bigger motor comes more weight and many design changes; again the Harley works.

4. Some of the Screamin Eagle mods are in conflict with some of the new EPA stuff. But even a stock Harley has that great sound.

Good luck and happy trails.

Old 05-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Pat
Road Master

Remember the superglide sport from a few years ago? I buddy has one and that is one versatile machine. Stripped down, it's a really fun ride, agile and fast, his tweaked a bit. Then when he dresses it up with bags, two-up seat, sissy bar and rack, engine guard with fog lights it becomes a very capable touring machine. The change from sport to bagger takes him less than an hour all told, including tidying up the shop. At the local shops here, a base dyna is very afoordable indeed - abot two grand more than a 1200 sporty. With a bit of a downpayment you should be able to get onto the bike for a very reasonable monthly payment. And then start customizing as you get some cash. Had I not gotten such a sweet deal on my old softail, I would have gone that route myself.

Quick Reply: Choosing a Model...Dyna or Softail