General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a trike a decent option for my wife's first bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 10:41 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by killer scott
Maybe give these a look... http://www.trikealternative.com/
Different, but could work.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:54 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,378 Likes on 956 Posts

It does not matter if some one has not rode any thing with wheels,unicycle, 2-wheeler or trike. The learning curve is all the same for a beginner. I have rode 2-wheelers for 35 yrs. Several years ago I test rode a MotorTrike Valkrie. Within 5 miles I was taking curves as fast as a 2-wheeler. You just have to lean in the opposite direrction as a 2er. To counter act the outside wheel from the tendency of rising up in the curve. I would have no problem owning and riding a trike if I was not able to ride a motorcycle any more.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:50 AM
Softtail Deluxe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OLD 96
You just have to lean in the opposite direrction as a 2er. To counter act the outside wheel from the tendency of rising up in the curve.
How does the outside wheel raise in a curve on a trike ? Why would you wanna lean to the outside ? Seems like that would flip you right on over . ...........

Old 06-17-2009, 07:02 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Have you,I mean her considered a side car?

Old 06-17-2009, 07:32 AM
hdfat2001
Cruiser

Went through this about 3 years ago with my wife. She wanted to ride her own and took the MSF course and passed (barely), I got her an '81 Honda Twinstar to practice on and she tried, but just couldn't get down the Lokk Lean Roll aspect of turns (always was afraid of leaning too far. She did ride it and got pretty good, but still didn;t feel comfortable on 2 wheels. We went back and forth between trikes and even Ridley's ( she though if maybe the shifting was taken out of the equation she would be more confident). Well, while at Delmarva, she got to talking with a woman her height (short) who was riding a Lehman Sportster and had put 5000 on it since the spring (she also had an FXDL that was 3 years old and only had 1900 on it). Well we went to a trike conversion shop and she test rode a Goldwing and came back grinning ear to ear. Next I bought a lightly used 2001 FXD and had it converted by Motortrike ( total cost of the bike and kit was around $18K) First time out she ran right with us on a 110 mile round trip run. Since then I can;t get her off the damn thing, she definately can outrun us in some of the twisty and definately on on and off ramps. Definately a different riding experience for me, but for her she had no motorcycle habits to break like; Steering vs Countersteering etc) Bottom line is she's comfortable and confident now vs 2 wheels and if Momma's happy everybodies happy.

Softail deluxe: as for tipping I highly doubt it and have never seen it come even close - the width in the rear is 54.5" and that sucker weighs about 900lbs, with proper suspension ain't no way she's gonna tip or even lift a wheel a on that thing.

Last edited by hdfat2001; 06-17-2009 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:26 AM
x1wildone
Intermediate

A trike is a great first ride, Lehman and hannigan are both good choices, stay away from voyager. She will be able to run with you anywhere. Test rides are available at most dealers. I will get flamed but I will say it any way,the Goldwing converts to a great trike.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:05 AM
hdfat2001
Cruiser

No flame here, Yes the Goldwing is a Great Trike. +1 on the negative on Voyager, rumor has it that it may be banned from registration in NJ. Since the bikes rear wheel remains, if the road has a dip in the middle the rear wheel would be up off the pavement and no braking, plus it skips through turns. Also take a look at Motortrike, Great quality and a lot less than Lehman.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:54 AM
Softtail Deluxe
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hdfat2001

Softail deluxe: as for tipping I highly doubt it and have never seen it come even close - the width in the rear is 54.5" and that sucker weighs about 900lbs, with proper suspension ain't no way she's gonna tip or even lift a wheel a on that thing.
I didn't doubt the stability of a trike . OLD 96 stated that the outside wheel on a trike had a tendencie to raise . I was askin him how that could happen . It just seems to me that the inside wheel would be the one to come up . .................maybe I'm missing something ....................

Old 06-18-2009, 07:31 AM
hdfat2001
Cruiser

Deluxe: Think car. When you take a sharp right the weight shifts to the inside, putting more downforce on the right side as the the body rolls right, same thing on a trike.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:52 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get her a Rebel, Ride like a Pro DVD, take MSF course, and then decide. Much cheaper in the long run. Who knows, she might want two wheels after that.

Quick Reply: Is a trike a decent option for my wife's first bike?