General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a trike a decent option for my wife's first bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 06:33 PM
HiPlainsHeritage
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But... But... it isn't a bike.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:34 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Trikes are tricky at best.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:07 PM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
I'm not going to say it isn't true, but I'd have to see that to believe it.
Don't really care if you believe it or not. Just stating a fact. If I had the choice, I would still rather be on two wheel. I miss the feeling of leaning in the corners... I ride three due to a disability, but now that I'm forced to ride three, I can see how some able bodied people can enjoy trikes, if their not comfortable on two. And I am giving them my thoughts based on real experience, not B.S.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master

When I first wanted to ride, I wanted a trike BAD. My husband wasn't convinced so I did the 2 wheels for 3 yrs. I never felt comfortable, as I am short and had my issues with both feet touching, even with the bikes being lowered. My husband was always yelling at me, and finally he declared that perhaps riding wasn't for me Well, that hurt!!! So i conceded and rode on the back of his. Hated that worse than riding my own. I finally put my foot down and told him I wanted to tour with him on my own and because I wanted to do that I needed the new TriGlide. Much to my surprise, he put a deposit on one. I love it!! I just wish he had listened to me 3 yrs ago. Your wife will need to take the MSF course to get her license on 2 wheels, but that is such a confidence booster. Once she gets a trike, then it is to the parking lot, just like with a regular bike. You just have to learn and practice.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:48 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member

I think the only thing not mentioned yet is the expense of the trike vs a beginner's bike.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:11 PM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good for you Ironhorsepilot, glad you enjoy it. If riding on three gives you that extra confidence and enables you to enjoy a sport along with your husband, not just as a passenger but as a rider. That's great! That's exactly why I think trikes are good for a lot of folks.

CWDoc115........and you're right, there's no getting around the added expense..............

Old 06-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master

Originally Posted by CWDoc115
I think the only thing not mentioned yet is the expense of the trike vs a beginner's bike.
That was the first thing running through my mind given that trike's cost a lot more than two wheels.

You could go with a can-am Spyder:
http://spyder.brp.com/en-US/

Of course it has no storage space, so if that's one of the things you wanted for your wife it might not work out.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Bull_Duck
Tourer

Best to sign up wife for a Motorcycle Safety Training Course. Then let her decide. That is what I did back in '98. Wife is still riding two-wheels.

If and when I get a trike, it will have independent rear suspension, not a fixed rear axel.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:32 PM
killer scott
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe give these a look... http://www.trikealternative.com/

Old 06-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master

Yes, a trike is expensive for a beginner. There are used ones out there, or as someone stated the Cam-am Spyder that won't completely break the bank. I would never have considered the TriGlide if I was even a little bit worried I wouldn't like it.

Quick Reply: Is a trike a decent option for my wife's first bike?