General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ness Big Sucker, Screaming Eagle or k & n???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006 | 02:48 PM
socalsoftail
|
Advanced
Default Ness Big Sucker, Screaming Eagle or k & n???

Witch on are you guys running and why? Heard people complain about the filter with the S/E, also heard complaints about the backing plate on the ness. Havent heard much on the k & n.
Also besides personal prefference is there a performance edge one would have over the others.....HP, Breather System, Quality?

Thanks for your opinions

Old 05-16-2006 | 03:34 PM
wildwill
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Ness Big Sucker, Screaming Eagle or k & n???

Yes............

Seriously, you will get different opinions from different people. I have the SE on my RK. Had the SE on my EG and also my LowRider. Never had a problem with any of em.
As to performance.........the more air the better. How about a Kuryakyn Hypercharger. I know people that swear by them and I know people that think they are a piece of chit.
Also consider different exhaust. Maybe larger displacement. Racing heads. Race tuner. The list goes on and on.
In the end it is all personal preference. If you are near a dealer with a race shop, talk to one of the head techs. They can tell you what will work on your bike.

Old 05-16-2006 | 03:49 PM
socalsoftail
|
Advanced

I guess my question was more along the lines of if there was an advantage of one aircleaner over the other. I am going to add some v & H pipes and reprogram my bike as well. I have only had experiance with Screaming Eagle air kits. I know that ness just came out with the Big Sucker II and it will fit 06 bikes. But you have to use a compatible ness cover, I guess its too big for the stock cover. I do like the crossover for the breather on the ness though.

Old 05-16-2006 | 04:04 PM
wildwill
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: socalsoftail

I guess my question was more along the lines of if there was an advantage of one aircleaner over the other. I am going to add some v & H pipes and reprogram my bike as well. I have only had experiance with Screaming Eagle air kits. I know that ness just came out with the Big Sucker II and it will fit 06 bikes. But you have to use a compatible ness cover, I guess its too big for the stock cover. I do like the crossover for the breather on the ness though.
Again it is all about personal preference. One dyno tuner will tell you he can get more HP and Torque from the SE and the next dyno tuner will say the same about Ness, etc, etc, etc. Same goes with pipes. The tech that tuned my bike told me I could get more HP and Torque with 2-1 pipes. Didn't do it at the time because of $ and the fact that my V&H Ovals were still fairly new. Now I really want to go with the 2-1 pipe but it's gonna cost big time because another dyno run will be necessary along with the cost of the pipes. [&o]

Old 05-16-2006 | 04:37 PM
hd2000
Tourer

I had a screaming eagle and now have the ness. The only difference that i have noticed was the oil blow back. Usually after every ride they had oil all over the side of the bike. The ness is more of a closed system and so far i have had no oil. As far as for performance i haven't noticed any difference between the two.

Old 05-16-2006 | 05:17 PM
socalsoftail
|
Advanced

I had an 883 with the screaming eagle a/c, and i had that oil problem too. Hmmmmm, would like to avoid that on my new bike.

Old 05-16-2006 | 06:05 PM
RiggidyRaw
Tourer

I have the Screaming eagle, but as the guys said, to each it's own. On that note, one of the most efficient Air filter sytems has not been mentioned. The wimmer system. www.wimmermachine.com They are going to hit you in the pocket, but by far one of the best air filter systems on the market.

Old 05-16-2006 | 06:44 PM
socalsoftail
|
Advanced

what kind of bike do you have riggidyraw? Do you have any complaints about oil control?

Old 05-16-2006 | 07:30 PM
spartns
Road Master

Got rid of the SE and went to Ness, no more oil on the right side of the bike. As for performance, the Ness (stage 1) and SE take the same element and you keep your cover.

Old 05-16-2006 | 08:35 PM
Mood Swing
Road Master

The fact that the Ness came with a K&N air filter swayed me.The SE came with some paper filter,AND it was 30 dollars more.WTF?

Quick Reply: Ness Big Sucker, Screaming Eagle or k & n???