General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ness Big Sucker, Screaming Eagle or k & n???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006 | 08:41 PM
71tradewind
Tourer
Default RE: Ness Big Sucker, Screaming Eagle or k & n???

I have a Ness on my RK and I'm completely satisfied with it,had a SE on my Sportster and thought it was on the cheap side ,plus the fiter mfg was changed from K&N to some unknown mfg.As far as the Hypercharger and the wimmer sys .....I feel they look out of place on a stock looking bike,they look great on customs and hotrods,just not on my bike.

Old 05-16-2006 | 08:54 PM
RiggidyRaw
Tourer

I have and 06 fatboy efi. Haven't installed the air filter yet, but I'm going with the Ultra sucker. I really want to get rid of the football.

Old 05-16-2006 | 11:46 PM
squeeech
Cruiser

G'day,

The answer to your question is ... buy the K&N RK3909 complete kit. I tried for weeks to get an answer about this, but never got any real advice, I like this forum a lot and have learned heaps, and I mean heaps and am very grateful, but the only way to find out was to buy the thing. I don't think there is much difference in performance with a stockish engine so that did not matter. Here's what mattered... The SE needed a K&N filter and had a reputation for oil blowback, so it was out. The ness did not have one available (06 models) at that time and does not have a genuine K&N filter (it is similar but not the same), and I had read of cracked backing plates, is it was out too. The K&N kit fits 06 models, has a K&N filter (of course), and has the "ness type" closed venting, (so no drips). The stock football cover fits back on, as yet I haven't bothered looking for a round cover, but shouldn't be a problem. I can't beleive all you guys are not running with them, they work fine and solve all the usual problems in one swoop. And just so ya know, with this A/C and "torque" slip-ons AND the RACE download the bike runs perfect, (thanks to shovel head bob for the RACE DOWNLOAD STORY), no TFI or sert is needed.

cya
Graham.

Old 05-16-2006 | 11:52 PM
SDMF
Road Warrior

Okay, here's my $.02...

I have an 88 CI S&S Super Stock on one of my bikes

Stock S&S...71 HP
Stock S&S w/Kuryakyn Hypercharger...82 HP
Harley CV Carb w/Ness Big Sucker...85 HP

Old 05-17-2006 | 06:02 AM
socalsoftail
|
Advanced

I know that ness has a stage II that just came out for the 06 efi bikes. But you cannot use the stock cover, I think you have to use a ness cover of some sort or maybe you could get by with an evo style round one. I think i might give the k&n a try now that its a closed system and you have the option of using the stock cover. I think its a better value compared to the screaming eagle

Old 05-17-2006 | 06:58 AM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master

I have the SE set up,came with the blue filter(paper) I just bought the K&N filter myself(2 of them so I always have a clean one ready$35.00 each)
I've never had the oil blow out that has been talked about here,mine works just fine.

Old 05-18-2006 | 01:30 AM
Big Dog
Road Master

Gents and Ladies; I run a 04 Ultra with the SE and the Alen Ness system with my PCIII...I had the KN until I put the AN and The PCIII... More power and NO oil leaking on the Chrome...Go with Alen Ness folks you will real happy.... But this is only one guys opinion.......thanks for listening....