General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my memory that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 02:50 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts
Default Is my memory that bad?

Or does this guy just not know what he's talking about?

I'm sittin here killing time in a truckstop and decided to call one of the local "Harley" shops back home and ask them to get me a ballpark price on converting my belt drive to chain. I guess I should really just do it myself but my time at home is precious to me and I'd rather be riding than doing anything more than standard Maintenance.

Anyway....I get the service dept and tell the guy what I'm looking to do and ask if he can work up a price for me. I figure I can drop it off when I get by the house next time and when I get back home in the fall I can just go pick it up and ride it as opposed to using my precious home time to work on it.

First thing out of the guys mouth is "Why do you want to do that"? I answered "because I want a chain drive". He then proceeded to tell me that I'd be having to change the chain every 8,000 to 10,000 miles.

I said "Has chain quality gone down that much over the last few years"? He's like...UH I don't know...

I seem to remember a good O-Ring chain running for Damn near as long as a belt as long as you take care of it.

Am I wrong?

Old 06-08-2009, 03:04 PM
roqueweiler
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Ironass,

As a general rule, I really respect your epinions here on the forum. This one has got me scratching my head though.

Chains are messy, greasy and don't wear nearly as hard or as long as a nylon belt. Granted, in an emergency they are easier to change over but given even the most cursory of maintenance, a belt just isn't going to break down. I've got 50K kms on mine and I estimate at least that much more. I can't imagine a chain doing anywhere close to that and also needing much, much care, attention and maintenance.

I read that Harley does have an emergency belt kit - anyone here used one? How does it work?

Old 06-08-2009, 03:11 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My belts on for 70k I never think it's going to wear out.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:13 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by roqueweiler
Hey Ironass,

As a general rule, I really respect your epinions here on the forum. This one has got me scratching my head though.

Chains are messy, greasy and don't wear nearly as hard or as long as a nylon belt. Granted, in an emergency they are easier to change over but given even the most cursory of maintenance, a belt just isn't going to break down. I've got 50K kms on mine and I estimate at least that much more. I can't imagine a chain doing anywhere close to that and also needing much, much care, attention and maintenance.

I read that Harley does have an emergency belt kit - anyone here used one? How does it work?
I fully understand where you are coming from. My question however was not about the attributes of either a belt or a chain. My question was whether or not my memory of how long an O Ring chain will last is incorrect.

The bike I had prior to the one I have now was an 84 Evo Softail with a chain drive. It hasn't been that long ago and I seem to remember getting 50,000 miles plus out of an O Ring chain. Yet this guy is telling me 8,000 to 10,000 miles?

Old 06-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
I fully understand where you are coming from. My question however was not about the attributes of either a belt or a chain. My question was whether or not my memory of how long an O Ring chain will last is incorrect.

The bike I had prior to the one I have now was an 84 Evo Softail with a chain drive. It hasn't been that long ago and I seem to remember getting 50,000 miles plus out of an O Ring chain. Yet this guy is telling me 8,000 to 10,000 miles?
The guy is an idiot.

I'm no expert on the chain/belt differences/longevity but can't imagine that being the case, though.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:45 PM
2Sore
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Todays chains will last 30-50 k depending on how many burn outs you do and how you maintain them.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roqueweiler
Hey Ironass,

It doesn't really matter why he wants a chain, though does it? All that matters is he wanted it and asked for a quote to get it done. The answer should have been the quote he asked for or a polite "Sorry, we don't do that kind of work." It should not have been a debate.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Sick1200
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the 30-50k based on maintenance and care. I think the chains look sick and would like to get one myself, a Harley is a maintenance machine anyway, might as well make it look more raw!!!

Old 06-08-2009, 06:14 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sick1200
+1 on the 30-50k based on maintenance and care. I think the chains look sick and would like to get one myself, a Harley is a maintenance machine anyway, might as well make it look more raw!!!
That's kind of where I'm coming from. Every since I bought the one I have now new....I've been wanting to make it look like it's 60 years old. I've got a guy working on Fabricating a old style rocker clutch pedal so I can put a suicide jockey shift set up on it. I don't want the ones they make today with the cable running off of what looks like a toe shifter. I want it to look as much as it can like the original style. V-Twin has one they make for shovel's and pan's but can't find anything for the new bikes.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:19 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Runnin an X-ring chain on my rigid.. friend of min has 20,000+ miles on one! I can't run a belt because of clearances so will see how long the 113" takes to wear it out!!

Quick Reply: Is my memory that bad?