General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My critiques of the bikes I tried at the Harley Demos at the Americade

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 07 Ultra, my Bro-in-law a 02 Fat Boy. We traded bikes this past saturday for 60 miles. I really dig the Fat Boy. It's smooth around town and dead stable on the highway. A rock solid ride! If I could have a second bike? Funny thing is my Bro liked my Ultra as much. He wishes he had one.
I guess the grass is always greener on the other side!
I do feel that my bloated Ultra handles corners better though. Way more lean angle.
But that balanced motor - saweeet!

Old 06-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior

One more thing in agreement with IronAss. I did the demo on an Ultra back in 2006 and was kinda underwhelmed. A year later I rented one for a week, for a cross country trip with the wife.
Well - I owned one a month later!
Go figure!

Old 06-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heck i did some demo rides they were ok to me you buy what you like the way i see it its your money
Toby,

Punctuation is your friend, get acquainted...

The Fat Boy: I love it. I've loved it since they first came out in 1991

Jeff,

That makes both of us. Loved it since the beginning and knew (hoped?) one day I'd have one. Good luck.

Shakey

Old 06-08-2009, 01:53 PM
ArizonaFalconer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2000 Sportster, and I have already decided I want a 2007 or later Fat Boy. I have looked at bikes over and over. The sales folk at the Dealerships are probably tired of wiping my drool off of the Fat boy's they have. I am just saving up a bit, and I'll go buy one.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:43 PM
houndawgg
Tourer

I wanted to try a Yamaha Royal Star Venture, at Americade. The guy said, "come about 7:30 am and make an appointment", yeah, right.
Needless to say, I didn't try one.
Here's my buddy, drooling over a V Max.

Attached Thumbnails My critiques of the bikes I tried at the Harley Demos at the Americade-dsc00136.jpg  
Old 06-08-2009, 06:47 PM
TerryFXST
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by houndawgg
Here's my buddy, drooling over a V Max.
I would probably die quickly on that bike. It's a fantastic looking bike, though.

Last edited by TerryFXST; 06-08-2009 at 06:48 PM. Reason: removed the large photo
Old 06-08-2009, 07:44 PM
wildman67
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by sgtjeff
I did 7 demos at the Americade, but only 5 bikes as I tried the Fatboy 3 times. Here is my critique. Bear in mind I'm no expert and my opinions are mine alone:
1. The Fat Boy: I love it. I've loved it since they first came out in 1991 when they were all silver. I WANT ONE. I own 2 Harleys and don't have room for a third but I'm seriously considering selling one to get the Fat Boy.
2. Fat Bob: Hated it. Can't believe how with just one letter different from the Fat Boy the bike can be very different. I felt very cramped. Less leg room than a Sportster even.
3. Cross Bones: I didn't think I'd like it because of the ape hangers but as it turned out I loved it. I'd consider buying it.
4. Heritage Softtail- My favorite looking bike, but I buy to ride, not to show. It was an OK ride, but I like the FatBoy and Crossbones better.
5. Rocker: Couldn't get used to the forward controls without a floorboard. Couldn't find the brake a few times but I guess it wouldn't be so bad once I get used to it.

I own a '91 FLH and a 2001 Sportster 1200 and the Fatboy is the only bike I like better than my own two.
That's cause Fatboys RULE!!!

Old 06-09-2009, 11:05 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatDF
lol, I love how when one person gives their (negative) opinion of a bike, people who own that bike get defensive. It's just his opinion, he's welcome to it, and I have fatbob ! Fatboy is a sweet ride, probably my fav softie, post some pics if you make the trade!

Chris
Not defensive, just my opinion. To each his own, but I've owned a Superglide (AMF), two Dynas, and ridden a number of Softtails. I just think the Dynas are faster, handle better, and ride better.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:30 PM
FlatDF
Tourer

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
...I just think the Dynas are faster, handle better, and ride better.
On this, I think we're in agreement!

Old 06-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sgtjeff
3. Cross Bones: I didn't think I'd like it because of the ape hangers but as it turned out I loved it. I'd consider buying it.
since no one commented on you comment on the XB....
I know that not everyone likes the styling...
But IMO it a Great Bike...

Thanks for the kind words!

CC

Quick Reply: My critiques of the bikes I tried at the Harley Demos at the Americade