General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the end of vtwin 96

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 03:48 AM
QS78
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the end of vtwin 96

Just came back from London, while im there saw and bought a MagBook titled the legend of Harley Davidson.

one of the topics discussed was listing the whole engines types HD developed and used throughout its life. The author threw a hint that 09 will probably be the end of the 96 Cin.

So r we expecting a bigger & more powerful engine for the 2010 ??!!

Just wanted to share this with u.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:54 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Oh well. I think they should offer the 103 as a base anyway.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:26 AM
Wallnut
Advanced

i don't see why HD would make the Twin Cam larger. What is the benefit to the Motor Company?? Most dealers are sitting on too many bikes as it is. The price reductions that would be needed would kill already low values on used Harleys. Plus many dealers make a good amount of income on guys and gals who want motorwork. Seems silly for 100 cc's of difference...

Old 06-07-2009, 07:13 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

The one reason, Victory 106" stock, much better performance #'s. I know its not a Harley but I have a few buds who are very happy and they outrun my 96 with ease, granted they have the 8 ball type bikes and I have an Ultra, it has me thinking about going bigger. The vic motor also has the oil flow from the filter/cooler to the top end of the motor from what I see, this has to have a great cooling effect.

Originally Posted by Wallnut
i don't see why HD would make the Twin Cam larger. What is the benefit to the Motor Company?? Most dealers are sitting on too many bikes as it is. The price reductions that would be needed would kill already low values on used Harleys. Plus many dealers make a good amount of income on guys and gals who want motorwork. Seems silly for 100 cc's of difference...

Last edited by masterblaster; 06-07-2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Poorguy
Tourer

Originally Posted by masterblaster
The one reason, Victory 106" stock, much better performance #'s. I know its not a Harley but I have a few buds who are very happy and they outrun my 96 with ease, granted they have the 8 ball type bikes and I have an Ultra, it has me thinking about going bigger. The vic motor also has the oil flow from the filter/cooler to the top end of the motor from what I see, this has to have a great cooling effect.
Is it all about speed and outrunning another bike? Hell metrics can do that too. That's not why I bought my FB. I have no intention of getting into races, or trying to out run other bikes. I'm not a throttle jumper and could care less if someone I'm riding with guns it.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:40 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I dunno, but it seems the EPA is cracking down on emissions, the 96 cube might be being replaced with an 88 incher.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:51 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Dont disagree, just pointing out the differences. It would be nice to have a little more umph for passing though.

Originally Posted by Poorguy
Is it all about speed and outrunning another bike? Hell metrics can do that too. That's not why I bought my FB. I have no intention of getting into races, or trying to out run other bikes. I'm not a throttle jumper and could care less if someone I'm riding with guns it.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:20 AM
nathanw
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't need to be racing to enjoy the benifits of more power. Using your logic they should have stayed with the 88 or even the EVO, afterall, who needs more power?...

Originally Posted by Poorguy

Old 06-07-2009, 10:36 AM
PSO169
Road Master
Default Bigger Motor

I would not mind a larger engine. I have several years before I do anything as far as changing bikes.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:41 AM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member

I heard from a very reliable source that the smallest HD engine will be in the Sportster, and that will be a 130" high output engine.

Quick Reply: the end of vtwin 96