General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the end of vtwin 96

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 11:57 PM
Brianc9876
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jake 318 hit it on the head. However, I truly can't imagine them rolling out a new engine after only 2 years in this economy. I would be shocked and pissed. The Motor Co are marketing genius's and I think know better than that.....I hope

Old 06-13-2009, 12:03 AM
frankjake
Road Master

Originally Posted by cowboy1
Screw the following:

EPA
CARB
Nancy Pilosi
Obama
Sierra Club
Friends of the bay
Sierra club...they are worth 2 screwings
DNC
Congress
Liberals in general
Anyone who wants my guns
Tree huggers
Most people in Santa Cruz
Those idiots who sleep in trees to protect them
Non spotted owl eating people...They are yummy!
Tree huggin grass muchin lesbian planet savers
Vegans Vegiterians
France
Peta
Dude you forgot Lawyers, DMV employees and women who don't shave their armpits.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:37 AM
DoomBuggy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jake318
Harley is trying to keep the power the bikes already have . The EPA restrictions keep strangling the engines more and more , forcing the displacement increaces to keep status quo. The EPA is a department that has no checks and balance . whatever they say is gospel in the publics eye and they know it . Talk to any scientist out of the EPA loop and they will tell you the EPA theories are shakey at best. They use scare tactics for continued/increasing funding . Jake
I am not arguing your thought at all. But I would like to point out that the 400 CI engine in my 1967 Pontiac, while a neat piece of history, can not compare with the new motors in the new Mustangs or Vettes. A lot of us old guys really pitched a fit when DFI was first introduced, but now you have to admit the new motors produce way more power, from way less fuel, and produce a fraction of the polution. The strict rules of the EPA forced all of those changes. ( Of course one could argue that also caused the downfall of the auto industry as well, lol )

Old 06-13-2009, 04:32 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They guys wanting bigger motors... whats stopped/stopping you from buying a Screaming Eagle now... I mean you would get what you're asking for... Right?

Was it the few grand extra you would have to pay for one?... I don't get it...

Charlie D.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:46 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

100ci would not satisfy a lot of riders,heck 120ci is nor enough for some.No matter what engine the MoCo builds someone will want a different setup.The very reason why the aftermarket is doing so well.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:54 AM
nhbiker1961
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had my EVO, it had plenty of power for my solo rides. But when riding with friends on the steep grades, they were walking away from me. With the 96ci, I have no trouble keeping up and had more power then I would need for the kind of riding I do. Nothing against the EVO, it was a great motor, but the 96 with a stage one does not have me doubting if I can pass a cage in time. Other then that, cruising at about 10 MPH above the speed limit is fast enough for me.

From a marketing standpoint, I don't think Harley would change the 96 at this time. They are having trouble selling the 09's and some dealers still have some 08's on the floor. When the 96 came out, no one wanted to buy a bike on the showroom that had a 88. I think the 96 will be the stock motor for a while.

Last edited by nhbiker1961; 06-13-2009 at 05:58 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:01 AM
GregH
Cruiser

I'm one of those that like big motors. The bigger the better! When I was a kid, I put a totally built 401 in my Gremlin. Now I have a really built 110 in my STC. I can pass anywhere, anything, any time, the power is there. I have 12K trouble free miles on it, so it is reliable. I did drop the fuel mileage a bit but it still gets twice as good as my F-150.......so I win!!

Old 06-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Ca.Fatlad
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I'm a happy camper with power to weight ratio on my 2008 St.Glide,but then again I am 56yr old who's reaction time is really not suited to something with any more raw power,sad to say but gotta know your limitations.

Last edited by Ca.Fatlad; 06-14-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:10 PM
ronny c.
Tourer

they will have to up the cubic inches to pass e.p,a and stay air cooled. thats the reason they have upped it b.4 . plus they have to stay up with the competion like victory.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Zepfan
Advanced

Originally Posted by jake318
Harley is trying to keep the power the bikes already have . The EPA restrictions keep strangling the engines more and more , forcing the displacement increaces to keep status quo. The EPA is a department that has no checks and balance . whatever they say is gospel in the publics eye and they know it . Talk to any scientist out of the EPA loop and they will tell you the EPA theories are shakey at best. They use scare tactics for continued/increasing funding . Jake

Buell can produce 100hp motorcycles, stock, using the Sportster 1200 evo mill. No problem meeting EPA regs. A stock Sportster 1200 makes about 60hp. The moco wants to convince us that this is due to the EPA.

BULL.

How much money do you think dealerships make in parts/service on upgrades, esp. stage 1 (90%+ HD riders upgrade beyond stock)?

I love HD motorcycles. But I'm f**king tired of being scammed by corporate suits. Screaming Eagle parts should be STOCK. Sick of the moco taking advantage of its customers' brand loyalty. Even worse, their loyalty to the U.S.A.

Rant over. Peace out.

----------------
'09 FXD, 92RWHP, 104TQhttps://www.hdforums.com/forum/members/zepfan-albums-zepfan-s-super-glide.html

Last edited by Zepfan; 06-15-2009 at 11:56 PM.

Quick Reply: the end of vtwin 96