General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the end of vtwin 96

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 02:47 PM
fxdxrider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Harley have for years been trying to balance emissions legislation with an ageing customer base, now mix in a recession and it's a toxic mix. Developing new products to target a new sector without alienating existing customers is expensive and risky even in good economic times. They also need to give existing customers something each year - this years touring frames aren't going to be scrapped either.

So here's my guess....
A. Twin Cams might come in 96 and 103 options (keeps the CVO guys happy at 110 if they tidy those problems up a bit)
B. A parallel range of high performance, water-cooled bikes is launched giving softail, dyna and touring versions all based on the V-Rod
C. Sportster - keep going as is (it's an entry level bike).

We're all happy with option A and C. New customers can come in on option B and Harley keep things rolling until the EPA laws shut down options A and C (although they'll keep finding a fix as long as we buy the bikes). Harley are maximising their take on all options, securing their next 50 years on option 2 and exploiting existing engines etc so the cost is lower which gets them through the recession and of course the EPA guys get their way.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:22 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Screw the following:

EPA
CARB
Nancy Pilosi
Obama
Sierra Club
Friends of the bay
Sierra club...they are worth 2 screwings
DNC
Congress
Liberals in general
Anyone who wants my guns
Tree huggers
Most people in Santa Cruz
Those idiots who sleep in trees to protect them
Non spotted owl eating people...They are yummy!
Tree huggin grass muchin lesbian planet savers
Vegans Vegiterians
France
Peta

Last edited by cowboy1; 06-08-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:16 PM
howolf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry, looks like I did something wrong...

Last edited by howolf; 06-11-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:19 PM
howolf
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mp
Actually, they should have stayed with the Evo. It would have prevented all the headaches they've had with the Twin Cam. And eighty cubic inches is plenty of engine for a motorcycle. Besides, even the 96" TC is not noticeably faster than the Evo.
Now we all know they aren't going back to the Evo. But the smart thing to do would be to offer a Big Twin engine option for the first time. There should be an 80 available for those who don't want to race anyone and who want decent fuel mileage. Beyond that, they could offer a 103 or something for those who don't care about fuel mileage.
However, it's unlikely they would drop the 96 after only three years. And even less likely they would add a Big Twin option during the current depression.

I completely agree with you.

If the Moco would bring out a 80ci, i'd sell my 2007. Besides, 80ci has a much nicier sound than the 96 ones have.

Indeed, 80 ci is big enough for a bike. If this produces too less power, then there's plenty of other marks to choose from.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:04 PM
2K1FLHPI
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Speculation is speculation. Unfortunately, no one knows what H-D will be doing with their new bikes but H-D.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:46 PM
marinepilot81
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

We're all happy about having the 103/110 option. The BS is that you have to buy this IN ADDITION to your stock 96. When you buy a car you don't buy the basic 4-banger and have to buy a seperate 6cyl; you just choose which engine you want!

Harley ought to offer an engine option.

"Would you like your Fatbob with a 73, 96, 103, or 110, Sir?"

Old 06-12-2009, 01:19 AM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I personally think when Harley does introduce a water cooled bike it should be an option for a few years before they do away with air cooled.

Go in to dealer
find bike you like
have sales person tell you about advantages/disadvantages of having water or air cooled
tell the sales person put the ... cooled one in my bike please.
A happy ending.

And for the record my stock tc88 had enough power to get around and with a stage 1 I have plenty. I never have a problem passing or accidently getting up to 90 getting on the interstate or passing a car.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:36 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

we will know in a few week's what is going to be . i really dont expext alot of change due to slow of sale's. but will see.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:59 PM
frankjake
Road Master

I know we don't want to admit it or beleive it but eventually Harley is going to have to go to a water cooled engine. Big Brother is going to force them to do so because of the emissions.

The air cooled engines just can't get much better than they are right now. Lowering the emission standards will most likely force a water cooled engine. I'm guessing within the next 3 years we will see some Harleys, other than the v-rod with a water cooled engine.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:03 PM
jake318
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harley is trying to keep the power the bikes already have . The EPA restrictions keep strangling the engines more and more , forcing the displacement increaces to keep status quo. The EPA is a department that has no checks and balance . whatever they say is gospel in the publics eye and they know it . Talk to any scientist out of the EPA loop and they will tell you the EPA theories are shakey at best. They use scare tactics for continued/increasing funding . Jake

Quick Reply: the end of vtwin 96