General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the end of vtwin 96

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:43 AM
BlackRob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 103 or 110 inch motor could convince me to trade in my 88" for a new Cross Bones. Sure would be nice to be able to pass trucks on the highway without white-knuckling it. Don't see much point in trading up just for a 96" engine. Plus, would it really cost Harley anything more? Hello Harley, are you listening? Do you want to sell more bikes? Give the customers what they want!

Last edited by BlackRob; 06-07-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:43 AM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Actually, they should have stayed with the Evo. It would have prevented all the headaches they've had with the Twin Cam. And eighty cubic inches is plenty of engine for a motorcycle. Besides, even the 96" TC is not noticeably faster than the Evo.
Now we all know they aren't going back to the Evo. But the smart thing to do would be to offer a Big Twin engine option for the first time. There should be an 80 available for those who don't want to race anyone and who want decent fuel mileage. Beyond that, they could offer a 103 or something for those who don't care about fuel mileage.
However, it's unlikely they would drop the 96 after only three years. And even less likely they would add a Big Twin option during the current depression.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Thornhammer
Tourer

Originally Posted by mp
And even less likely they would add a Big Twin option during the current depression.
Depression? Don't you listen to the news? The recession is over! It's nowhere but up from here! Rejoice, all and sundry! Buy, buy, buy!

Right, and if you believe that, I have a bridge I'd like to unload cheap. And some prime swamp land in Florida.

What's really scary is that if you look at some news quotes back right before the Great Depression, they said the SAME THING. It's over, we're back in recovery...ugh.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:50 AM
vaughn4380
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ngoti8tor
I heard from a very reliable source that the smallest HD engine will be in the Sportster, and that will be a 130" high output engine.

Everyone would still call it a girl's bike.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:26 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

The question is "how big can Harley go on a production engine and still be reliable?" I think their problems with the 110" motor have been documented, enough so that they stopped selling the 110" upgrade kits. I pumped my 88" up to 95" and am very happy with the performance and mpg that I get.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:17 PM
ktm990
Intermediate

What HD needs most is to reduce the weight. We've all seen the paltry hp results from the dyno and to expect that to push over 800lb DRY weight without the rider on board is ludicrous.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm perfectly happy with my bike as it came. She takes me whereever I wanna go in comfort and style... If the 96" as we know it goes to the wayside it'll probably be cuz of a water-cooled motor they're pretty much forced to go to at some point in time.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:26 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mp
Actually, they should have stayed with the Evo. It would have prevented all the headaches they've had with the Twin Cam. And eighty cubic inches is plenty of engine for a motorcycle. Besides, even the 96" TC is not noticeably faster than the Evo.
Now we all know they aren't going back to the Evo. But the smart thing to do would be to offer a Big Twin engine option for the first time. There should be an 80 available for those who don't want to race anyone and who want decent fuel mileage. Beyond that, they could offer a 103 or something for those who don't care about fuel mileage.
However, it's unlikely they would drop the 96 after only three years. And even less likely they would add a Big Twin option during the current depression.

Doesn't Harley already do this with their Screaming Eagle bikes and engine kits?

Old 06-07-2009, 02:28 PM
dan1551
Tourer

Originally Posted by ktm990
What HD needs most is to reduce the weight. We've all seen the paltry hp results from the dyno and to expect that to push over 800lb DRY weight without the rider on board is ludicrous.
You cant get any more hp & tq out of an air cooled motor,and Im talking continuous duty hp Has to be improvments such as gear drive ,watercooling ,stop designing bikes you will sell 2000$ worth of stuff on immeadiatly most of which should have been on them included in the sale price People are getting tired of being ripped by these kinds of things I think the twin cam is maxed out where its at now...

Old 06-07-2009, 03:04 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
The one reason, Victory 106" stock, much better performance #'s. I know its not a Harley but I have a few buds who are very happy and they outrun my 96 with ease, granted they have the 8 ball type bikes and I have an Ultra, it has me thinking about going bigger. The vic motor also has the oil flow from the filter/cooler to the top end of the motor from what I see, this has to have a great cooling effect.
We buy Harley to own Harley we all know that we are getting Technology-Heritage-Tradition and V-twin. But all other bikes need the gimmicks. Me just the Bar and Shield.

Originally Posted by Poorguy
Is it all about speed and outrunning another bike? Hell metrics can do that too. That's not why I bought my FB. I have no intention of getting into races, or trying to out run other bikes. I'm not a throttle jumper and could care less if someone I'm riding with guns it.
100% One Target

Quick Reply: the end of vtwin 96