General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost of your 1,000 mile service?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,165 Likes on 3,675 Posts

I will take it to them or an indy for the 50K service except for fluids...they told me about $100.00 to go over the whole bike...repack and retoque the fork bearings...

Old 06-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Juve996
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cost me 330.00 for my 1k and I don't think they did anything but change the fluids. The reason why I say that is because I always had a sort of hard throttle twist. I mean it was always a bit hard to turn. Since lubing the throttle and clutch cables was supposed to be included in the service I figured it was taken care of.. .. NOT..
I also felt that the throttle had a bit too much play. So one night I adjusted the cables and figured, what the hell I may as well lube them too. After spraying some greaseless lubricant on the top end and working the cable some, I couldn't believe how much it loosened up the cables. In my opinion, the dealers don't do anything but change the fluids, or at least mine didn't. Very dissapointing..

I changed all the fluids again last weekend at 5k cause I don't trust them now. Used Amsoil and cost me about 85.00 with all the gasket kits, oil filter and wrech. Real easy to do with the service manual and I will keep pocketing my money.
Of course I'm not saying you should not ever take your bike in to the dealer for service, but you really need to do most of it yourself.

Last edited by Juve996; 06-07-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:23 AM
tht1124
Novice

Seems like lots of different ways to slice it up. I paid MSRP for my 09RKC and didn't have any freight or prep charges. But, no free service and I wish I had thought of negotiating that one. My wife and I both bought the extended warranties and at the last second, I found out that mine doesn't cover tire and wheel anymore. They sell it to you, since "It is a Harley and something could happen." Then the service fees in order to keep the warranty valid. But what chaps me is the board says XL's 10K starting at 321.00 and my wife is told her 07XL1200L will be about 471.00!! The board says includes Syn3 oil. On the printout it shows 4 qrts. of Syn3 at 9.99 each for 39.98, 12.95 for "useables" (shop rags and such) %69 bucks with tax and the 45 dollar pick up charge, since it was dead. Yeah, the tech tips told them that the XL's are having problems with the electrical connections corroding. WTF!!! But here's the catch, good thing she brought it in, since on the first service they found something loose....maybe her axle nuts or something. I don't remember. This last Saturday, we picked it up from her 10K service and the service writer told me that her steering head bearings were loose. Pam said she felt vibration in her steering on our last trip. So if I change all the fluids myself, that's fine, but how do you know to check over every fricken nut and bolt, to make sure the damned thing don't fall apart on her? Seems like the plan is to build a sub standard bike, charge twice as much for it, then sell an extended warranty, since it is sub standard in quality, then tell you that you have to spend 5 hundred every 5k miles or risk it falling apart. Seems to me, if HD can't build a bike that can't stay together longer than 10K miles, they should be picking up the service fees. We're feeling royaly f&*%d over it. Oh yeah.....after picking it up Saturday and paying the 569 for it, we're riding and then it won't start if in gear with the clutch pulled in. The clutch switch was wet and giving her problems in Florida, but they didn't change it. Ten minutes later, the side plate falls off and won't stay, as the plastic tabs are acting useless and wires sticking out right behind her 500 degree rocker cover. What a deal!!!

Done venting, I'll get down off my box now.

Ty

Old 06-09-2009, 10:11 AM
3Deffect
Cruiser

I have no idea. But I will tell you on thursday after I pick it up. Taking it in tonight so they can do it tomorrow.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:33 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

I had mine done recently and it cost me a total of $294.22...plus I had them check my ignition and change my AC cover trim. Oh, and I used syn in all three holes.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:44 PM
rocstar50
Cruiser

Mine was free.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:46 PM
crashin
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

I paid about $250 including the Synthetic fluids.

I am buying the manual and I'll be doing the rest myself.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Glenno
Advanced
Default Yea I felt like "I was taken care of" sarcasm at its finest!

I believe I was bent over after hearing the price of my 1,000 mile service for basically a fluid change. I guess I really just wanted the first oil change and service to be done by HD. I was expecting a bill of $150.oo or so not for more than $200.oo over that. That's where the bending feeling happened. I will do as mentioned above, buy manual, buy tools needed, research and perform all my own maintenance, and never pay the dealer again!

Old 06-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Brianc9876
Tourer

I am having mine done this weekend on my new bike, I just don't have the time unfortunately. At my dealer my Softail with all synthetic fluids is $275.00 However, the custom shop down the street does the same exact service with same damn fluids for $175

Old 06-09-2009, 08:28 PM
wescoot2
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 1K cost the same as my 5-10-25-50 and 75K The cost of fluids, and whatever other parts I needed to do my own service.

Looking at the prices dealers are charging, it looks like I saved enough for a down payment on a new scoot.

Respects,
Ed

Quick Reply: Cost of your 1,000 mile service?