General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrogen in tires??

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 09:24 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by togfish
I only use a special blend of 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide. It's worked well for me.
I breathe this stuff all day, everyday. But it's hard to get around here sometimes.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:37 AM
rockDAWG
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nhbouncer
the company I work for it cost $20 to fill all 4 tires with nitrogen and includes free top offs for the life of the tires. If you do a little research on the website link I provided www.getnitrogen.org you might learn a thing or two. yes you are correct that the air we breathe is nearly 80% nitrogen all ready but something else you my want to consider is the compressor being properly maintained so when they fill your tires they aren't blowing moisture into your tires because the compressor tank has condensation built up in it, I have actually seen tires come off cars with like a 1/4 cup of water inside them. Nitrogen prevents that from happening too on top of all the other things it does. By it being an inert gas it doesn't change the psi levels in your tires as much with temp. changes which we know can cause premature wear to your tires. So I guess you can make your own choice on it but as a person who sells, installs and uses nitrogen I recommend it.
From 78% Nitrogen in the air to 99% pure will make no difference in real life. It is nothing more than smart marketing gimmick. Of course you will recommend it because there is financial gain for you.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:03 AM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,680 Likes on 1,517 Posts
Arrow nitrogen filled tires

My only problem with Nitrogen (aside from the cost), is that it wouldn't last that long for me. I can't help but check my air pressure regularly. It's only a matter of time before I'd have to add regular old air...

38 lbs. Front, 40 Rear. Cold. Solo riding.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:08 AM
neonhomer
Road Captain

Plus you get the pretty green valve stem caps.... LOL...

I don't go for the Nitrogen in tires hype..... I don't think you can remove enough of the regular air from the tire to get it completely filled with N2 to make it worth while.

I used to know A/C techs who would use R-22 in their hand cart tires. Used to also use it in his truck tires. Weird...

Old 06-09-2009, 07:12 PM
vonhetzer
6th Gear

Refrigrant is probably one on the worst things to put into your tires, due to the propeties it constantly has large changes due to temperature. For all you naysayers nitrogen is a very stable gas, that is why we use it to silver solder and pressure test refrigeration systems. I have it in my tires. My bike sat all winter long no change in pressure from last year to this year, not a large increase in pressure when the tires are hot either. I'm not saying I would spend $20 for it, but remember you are also paying for the labor involved and the evacuation of the "air" from the tires. If you have no experiance with it stop being a jerk off and making erronus claims and comments, you just steer people in the wrong direction when you may not be right.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:23 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by nhbouncer
If you want to learn more about what nitrogen can do check out www.getnitrogen.org it will tell you all about it. I manage a local tire store that does install nitrogen for customers. I run it in my bike and it does help stablize tire pressure and I run it in my car up here in New England it helps keep the moisture down inside the tire and help prevent wheel rust.
Does your tire store also offer siping?