General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson Refuses to Replace Defective Chrome Spoke Rims

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 07:00 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,802 Likes on 2,541 Posts

Prior to purchase ask what will be warrantied, read your owners manual or get one. My 02's manual is very specific about the spokes not being covered. It also mentions upkeep is the owners responsibility. Gosh there's that darn word again, responsibility. Sometimes you just have to sit down and spend some time deep cleaning that machine.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:20 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same problem with my spokes. I am not happy about it, but I do live a block from the Chesapeake Bay and I *do not* clean the bike as often as I should. I also ride year round. Not only do I have issues with the chrome spokes, I also have issues with the chrome shocks and other chrome parts. Because I knew I did not really clean the bike up like I should I did not even bother telling my dealer or the moco about it. After I noticed it I got some wax that included some "anti-rust" chemicals. It has slowed the process, but really once rust starts it is already too late, you are fighting a losing battle.

My long term solution is to get most of the chrome off the bike. When I have my rear tire replaced (in the next month or so before I ride to Sturgis) I am having the crappy chrome stripped off the wheel to get powdercoated and replacing the chrome spokes with painted spokes. I am also replacing the dirty brake pads with something a little better. When I need the front replaced I will do the same.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:57 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

S100 Total Cycle Corrosion Protectant Aerosol....

Withouit a doubt the best stuff you can use to prevent corrosion/rust on your bike (chrome/metal)...

http://www.s100.com/s100_cp.htm

Guys I know that live down around the Gulf coast area always had major problems because of 'salt air' and other stuff, and many of them now use the S100 Corrosion Protectant.

I use it about once a year on my bikes (chrome, spokes, etc.), and I've never had a problem with rust or corrosion, even if the bike spend a lot of time out in the elements.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:19 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I may be wrong but I don't believe, chrome itself rusts. It is the base metal below it that does. That being said wisconsin is not known for being a place to ride year round. Some winters have days that give you a chance to ride, but chances are from mid nov to march the bike is "stored" I don't have a heated garage so I roll the bikes onto carpet strips, cover them, open the vents in the cover and hang a trouble light from the frame. Surprising how warm a 75 watt bulb will keep the scooter.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:19 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

It is unfortunate how Harley treats unsuspecting customers. It is for that reason, I always buy anything Harley as a suspecting customer. They treat us suspecting customers much better.