General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson Refuses to Replace Defective Chrome Spoke Rims

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by snakeinthegrass
Troll? Secret Agent?
i vote for the troll....

Old 06-05-2009, 09:42 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

I have to disagree with some of the Chinese statements. I know a guy that has 4 chrome shops, 1 in Calif, 1 in Reno, 1 in Iowa and 1 in china which he does chrome wheels for Chrysler in china and sends them back and makes a profit. It wasnt so much the labor here in US that drove them out of here but the EPA.
I dont think the process is any less but the reason for being so cheap is they pay a bowl of rice a day and some ridiculously low wage, they probably make in one month which is less than a lot of Americans make in a day

Old 06-05-2009, 10:02 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is going to sound stupid but put a wood block or piece of plywood under the kickstand...don't know how or why but it works. I live by the ocean and always had chrome issues and a buddy who works for Arlen told me to do the wood thing and it works. I don't even get that film on the chrome anymore. It may have something to do with elctrolisis with the concrete or ghosts, gremlins and trolls...don't know, don't care...freakin works.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:14 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by cowboy1
This is going to sound stupid but put a wood block or piece of plywood under the kickstand...don't know how or why but it works. I live by the ocean and always had chrome issues and a buddy who works for Arlen told me to do the wood thing and it works. I don't even get that film on the chrome anymore. It may have something to do with elctrolisis with the concrete or ghosts, gremlins and trolls...don't know, don't care...freakin works.
I have something like this before, but it was to park your bike on a rubber mat.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:20 PM
street_glider
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on the EPA.

The things made in China because commodities (steel, alum, etc) are cheaper, overhead is much less, equipment is cheap as well. Plus safety is not a concern so no money spent there.

Labor is an important aspect, but as a reference, from my experience, labor here in the US it is usually around 8 to 15% of the cost of a manufactured automotive component item.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjNaUHA2KrY

Old 06-05-2009, 11:57 PM
pepperoniPITA
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cowboy1
Make a simple carport out of *WOOD* (4x6 posts and 2x6 everything else), with only one side closed and the vehicles parked under it won't even hardly get any dew on them...if any at all. I know this because it's what we had at the house we moved away from last year. Been their 17 years and my truck parked under it along with a van and neither one would *ever* have moisture on them...in *any* of the seasons...except what blew in sideways from storms.

A tin roof though *will* drip during the early morning hours in certain situations, but not enough to make anything start rusting or any such thing. Just put some thermal stuff under the tin and/or between the rafters and problem taken care of.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:36 AM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My spokes look brand new after almost three years.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Steeltoe
Cruiser

Something no one else has touched on....Get rid of the stock H-D brake pads!!!!!!
The wheels on my Heritage were showing signs of pitting after only 600 miles and it had NEVER been wet!!!!!! I got Lyndall's Z Plus pads. Absolutely ZERO brake dust.
No more pitting, rust etc.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:29 AM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Harley Davidson warranty and their customer service blows. Everyone should know that before they buy their bike. Dont waste your money on their extended warranty especially.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:11 PM
betchaan
Advanced

Put a placard on your bike and park it in a prominent view of the dealership, might work

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson Refuses to Replace Defective Chrome Spoke Rims