Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ridin' with dad

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 07:29 AM
Wireline King
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ridin' with dad

I posted right before Christmas about my dad's best friend of 44 years passing, and how they rode their own custom choppers back in the late 60's early 70's. My dad & I met in Vegas over Christmas and we were going to rent a couple Harleys and ride (he just got his license last December after a 30 year hiatus from riding); but the weather was really bad so we did not get the chance to ride. This really bummed me, but it was for the best as he was still very shaky on the bike.

Well, he bought a used Harley a few months ago, and I was finally able to ride down to the hill country and spend nearly a week riding with him; out in the Texas country roads he and my late uncle (my dad married his best friends sister) used to ride back in the day.

We did not ride far, maybe a 100-150 miles a day (he got sore & tired pretty quickly), but sharing something we both love doing was of more value to me than anything I can remember. He owns a masonry business, and times are hard, but he got up every morning ready to ride, putting off business for later in the day. I suppose this is what would be called "quality time". I call it precious time with my dad, who isn't getting any younger. Life is short.

I will always remember this as some of the best riding I have ever done; not the furthest, not to some happening location, but time spent just enjoying the ride and the company, seeing my dad really enjoy himself as the miles washed away the daily hassle, and the joy in his eyes as he brought back fond memories and made new ones.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:33 AM
Double00Aught
Road Master

That's a great story man, good for you and your dad. My dad started riding again late last year after 25 years. We ride everywhere together now. He's 71 and rides like a champ. He bought a new Ultra Classic a month ago and has already put 1500 miles on it. I wouldn't trade these times for anything.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:38 AM
Mr Cujo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't mean as much coming from a stranger like me, but I'm proud for you... Well done my man.
I wish you many more happy miles with your Dad.

Gotta run, something fell in my eye..can't see to type very well.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:38 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,240 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Great memories for you. I'm glad you were able to do it. My OL got me interested in bikes when I was still trying to master a bicycle. He's still alive (95 a couple weeks ago) but his mind is gone. Doesn't remember me or riding Motorcycles. But I still have great memories of us riding together all those many years ago.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:59 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

I guarantee your dad appreciates it as much as you!

Old 06-05-2009, 08:19 AM
Haywired
Road Master

That is Awesome! Good for you and your Dad to be able to spend the time riding. It's quality time you will both cherish forever. Hope your dad's business picks up and you two can relax and enjoy many more rides in the future.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Squee
Cruiser

I have to say I am jealous. I grew up around bikes and when I got my license my father always asked when I was going to get a bike. There was always something where I was not able to get one and really just put it in the back of my mind for a long time. My father passed 2 years ago at the age of 62, and I bought my Harley that week in honor of him. I lost my father and a best friend.

While I never had the opportunity to ride with him I set my back pegs down for him from time to time. I would like to think I did as well as I did with the learning curve of riding because he was there with me.

It is a missed opporunity for me but I am glad see post like this. Cherish the time you have with him. There is nothing better than family IMHO.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:55 AM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad you guys are getting the chance. My Dad is 82, doesn't ride but we play golf when we can. That's his passion. Same feeling with a different passtime I hope ya'll have many more years of riding together

Old 06-05-2009, 09:04 AM
karaokeman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Post , and no matter what the reason it is always great to spend "quality" time with your Parents. I do whenever I can ! and now on the flip side I do the same with my 12yr old son. I hope one day he looks back on our "rides" and reflects on what a great time he had!

Old 06-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Cajun King
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We were probabley riding the hills with our dads at the same time. We got back to Louisiana last Friday after a week of riding together. The best trip I have ever had. I hope everything works itself out with your dads business. Good luck and keep making memories with him.

Quick Reply: Ridin' with dad