General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ridin' with dad

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Kregg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

This is inspiration for the soul.

I'm 42 and my Dad is 71. We live many states and miles away from each other and wish we could ride together more. I rode down for his 70th birthday last year and we had several days of nice rides together. He just does not have much stamina for riding more than a few hours. Deals Gap scared the Hell out of him. It may have been the traffic jam with aircare flying in for some dudes that hit head-on each other......

I'm in KY and he's in SC. I'm headed to Sturgis this year and he has hinted about wanting to go.... I was planning on the trip with a several friends and we are staying at the Chip for the week. I thought he may cramp my experience and not be able to hack the lifestyle. This thread has me feeling guilty and thinking of a way to get him out there with me

I guess I just answered my own question. With the help of this thread.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Xuallus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great story, I've been helping my Dad talk himself into a new scoot, he hasn't ridden for about 15 years. Funny thing is, he thinks he's too old... 60 next year

Old 06-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Haywired
Road Master
Wink

Originally Posted by Xuallus
great story, I've been helping my Dad talk himself into a new scoot, he hasn't ridden for about 15 years. Funny thing is, he thinks he's too old... 60 next year
Just a suggestion, Sign your dad up for a riders course as a father's day present , take the course with him and get him moving. Convince him that 60 is the new 40 and go have a blast!

Old 06-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Xuallus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Haywired
Just a suggestion, Sign your dad up for a riders course as a father's day present , take the course with him and get him moving. Convince him that 60 is the new 40 and go have a blast!
that is a fantastic idea, thanks

Old 06-05-2009, 08:10 PM
danielo
Elite HDF Member

Your a good son,and I know your dad really enjoyed being with you god bless.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:12 PM
danielo
Elite HDF Member

You need to call him right now if you haven't allready and invite him.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:44 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't ride for a number of years, (SOS) Got my sporty in Dec 07 and put 8000 miles on it last summer, got the lowrider last sept and put 2000 on it. 3000 so far on them this year and the freakin snow didn't melt til the middle of May. I will be 61 in 3 months. Tell your Dad to do it. My only regret was I didn't come back sooner.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:54 PM
rallen
Cruiser

I concur with everyone else, you are a good son. My dad doesn't ride, but I enjoy hanging out with him. He taught me everything I know about cars, so I can do quite a bit of work on my on. My son doesn't ride, either, but we hang out and play computer games occasionally. It is really great to have good relationships with our fathers and our children. For those that don't, you don't know what you are missing.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:37 PM
frankjake
Road Master

Man! I'm only 50 and feel like I could keep riding for years to come. Like others say, do what you can to get your dad out there. Once he does it once, being a kid will all come back to him.

Someone said 60 is the new 40 and I believe that. Heck, I feel like I'm still 30, look like I'm 40 and act like I'm 20 (okay, I act like I'm 12) he he he.

Have fun man.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:13 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Softtail Deluxe
My dads been gone almost 20 yrs. , and I never got to ride with him . Drinking took over his life when he was young . His last ride was a "48" Pan . My brother wants to take a trip sometime with me . He hasn't been on a bike in 3 yrs. though . His bike is in sad shape and needs some TLC bad . But we'll manage to get it taken care of if he wants to go on that ride sometime . ................Kev
Show your brother this thread and tell him to get going on those repairs so you two can go on that ride before it's too late...It would suck to one day have to say "We planned on riding together, but never got the chance".

Quick Reply: Ridin' with dad