General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EMERGENCY!!!! Lost key 2000 miles from home

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 04:59 PM
nmfxstc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: EMERGENCY!!!! Lost key 2000 miles from home

Guys (and gals), this is a good reason to keep a spare key handy...either wires to the bike someplace, in a wallet, on your boots...someplace!

Baggers can store one under the gas cap...one key opens all gas caps, so any HD rider on a bagger can get your fuel door opened...yeah...everyone knows the poop on that, but hey...lose a key and get stuck like this???

Old 05-15-2006, 05:20 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

old easyriders tech tip..... take the tail light lense off. take your spare key and tape it to the inside of the lense opposite of the clear part of the lense. put the lense back on. the only thing you need to get the key is a screw driver.

Old 05-15-2006, 05:35 PM
wildwill
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: bagga

old easyriders tech tip..... take the tail light lense off. take your spare key and tape it to the inside of the lense opposite of the clear part of the lense. put the lense back on. the only thing you need to get the key is a screw driver.
Where do you keep your bike. [sm=joke.gif]
Not that this will help the current situation, but I wrote my key number down and keep it with me at all times. Any dealer should be able to make a key using that number (of course you will need to also have proof of ownership).

Old 05-15-2006, 05:46 PM
vegashd
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: wildwill

ORIGINAL: bagga

Where do you keep your bike. [sm=joke.gif]
Not that this will help the current situation, but I wrote my key number down and keep it with me at all times. Any dealer should be able to make a key using that number (of course you will need to also have proof of ownership).
After calling 6 dealerrs in the area, AS WELL AS going to the local HD shop, ( not small LAS VEGAS HD the worlds largest) they ORDER a key. No one could make one on the spot.

Old 05-15-2006, 06:07 PM
wildwill
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: vegashd

After calling 6 dealerrs in the area, AS WELL AS going to the local HD shop, ( not small LAS VEGAS HD the worlds largest) they ORDER a key. No one could make one on the spot.
No chit? I was under the impression that having the key number and proof of ownership could get you a new key from ANY dealer. Never had to try it out but now I'm gonna rethink my escape plan.

Old 05-15-2006, 06:20 PM
vegashd
Banned

No chit? I was under the impression that having the key number and proof of ownership could get you a new key from ANY dealer. Never had to try it out but now I'm gonna rethink my escape plan.

Untill now i was also under the impression that we could have one cut. Their must be a master book somewhere with key numbers, but I dont know if dealers get one

Old 05-15-2006, 06:52 PM
71tradewind
Tourer

Untill now i was also under the impression that we could have one cut. Their must be a master book somewhere with key numbers, but I dont know if dealers get one
Yep I went to get a new key when I was out of town and was told the same thing ....you have to oder it 10-15 day turn around time.I'm hiding my spare on my bike as soon as I get a chance Thanks to this post!

Old 05-15-2006, 07:51 PM
vegashd
Banned

[quote]ORIGINAL: 71tradewind

I'm hiding my spare on my bike as soon as I get a chance Thanks to this post!
your not kidding!!!!

Old 05-15-2006, 08:14 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No dealer that I know of has the capacity to make a key. It would need to be ordered.

Your best bet would be Express Mail spare key or have local locksmith fab one.

Old 05-15-2006, 10:55 PM
thunderbirdblue2
Tourer

I dropped my Ultra off with a radio problem... I left my saddlebags locked and the tech said that they would not need a key...

When I went to pick the bike up they said that there was a problem and that they needed to get into one of the bags... They tried using some keys that they had laying around but couldn't get it open... and broke the lock.... They had to order a part to fix it... Bottom line... The dealership did not have a key in stock that fit...

Quick Reply: EMERGENCY!!!! Lost key 2000 miles from home