General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue Hair strikes again

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009 | 12:39 AM
Jaybob07
|
Tourer
Default Blue Hair strikes again

So I got off of work today about 4:30 and I kind of took my time to get changed over to head home on the bike. I got suited up and called my old lady to let her know that I was on my way home and that I needed to get some gas. She said thats fine so I went and filled her up and headed home. Needless to say I live about 9 miles from the house on base. Anyway I leave op-side and get to the main intersection on main-side on a green light, slow down to let the SUV in front of me make his right hand turn and then proceed to go through. I get about 1/3 into the intersection and this old lady turns left right in front of me, just in time for me to grab breaks prepare for impact, no time to swerve cuze of other cars turning in all directions. So I grab breaks, hit her rear passenger door. I remember hearing the impact of the crash and looking at my bike from a birds eye view along with her car. I can remember hearing my engine shut down as well. I land about 8 feet away from the bike and hop strait up like someone tripped me and wanted to kick their a$$ until I saw the old lady. Anyway after getting the bike back up and out of the way, ( thanks to some help form our MA's ) she tells me that she did not see me even though I wear this bright A$$ orange "REFLECTIVE" vest. Oh did I mention that this was about 5 in the PM. Anyway one of the eye witnesses, the guy driving behind me said that I super maned over everything. Anyway all that the Dr. said is that I bruised my ankle. Now a few hours later I'm feeling ALL kinds of places where I hit. Anyway I got released from the Hospital and my wife was still with the bike waiting for the rig to come and get it so I walked to a friends house right down the road to take me home. When we got there my wife pulled out a handle of Jack and a 2 litter, witch is about half gone by now. Anyway its been a rough day. going to go and take pics of the bike and post them tomorrow. anyway just had to vent, as if i have not vented enough at everyone but I hope that her insurance can fix it. Well that makes x2. night everyone.

Old 06-03-2009 | 12:44 AM
kccustom
Road Master

Hopefully she pays attention to her insurance bills better than her driving.

Old 06-03-2009 | 12:50 AM
08blacksporty
Cruiser

Im sorry but 90% of the elderly people on the road dont need to be! Ive had numerous ones pull this exact stunt...however i managed to make it out better off than you. Its not only the elderly that need to pay attention...thats just who im harping about at the momment.

Old 06-03-2009 | 12:52 AM
travroc
Road Warrior

Glad that you are OK. I went down this morning myself. Sucks, but the bike can be fixed. The whiskey helps dull the pain. At least you have some JD.....all I have is Black Velvet.

Old 06-03-2009 | 12:54 AM
The Architect
Banned

I just love it when they say " oh, I didn't see you". Like that is suddenly going to make things peachy and everyones just going to ride off into the sunset. Good luck with the insurance and bike repairs though.

Old 06-03-2009 | 06:32 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

She's at fault but could you have done anything to keep it from happening? I always ask myself that in the past from near misses to what the hell just happened. Her excuse sucks and that reflective vest stands out. Glad your okay and the bike is repairable or replaceable.

Old 06-03-2009 | 07:20 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

I saw the 'title', then I saw your avatar, thought, "Jaybob's trashin' his-self". (That is YOU with the "silver", ain't it??? )

IMFUO, I have had way more close calls, near misses, etc, with young ppl and their 'distracted' driving, than with blue hairs. (BUT we ship the blue hairs off to Fl and Az, keeps 'em thinned out up here)
Learned an interesting fact the other day. Gassing up in Cambridge, LEO pulled in. He strikes up a conv. 'bout scoots, and we were talking accidents. The #1 place for accident calls in Cambridge?? WALMART!!!

GLAD you are posting about it. Welcome to the Survivors Club. Number of members is growing like weeds, 'round here, lately
Maybe, JUST MAYBE, she thought you were wearing the vest, cause you were there to direct traffic. Then again, NOT!!!

I'd recommend one of these "flashing LED" vests, BUT if they will run into buses with lights flashing and stop arms out (happened up here last week), I don't hold out much hope, they will see this puney li'l vest, even if it is 'flashing'.

Old 06-03-2009 | 07:42 AM
captain m
Road Master

Hope that you and the bike heal well!!!
At least you got an"I didn't see you",I had Grandma pull a leftsignal,right turn on me once that almost through me onto the sidewalk,when I confronted her about it she said,"it's only a motorcycle"!!!At that point,I just got back on the "motorcycle" and rode away in fear at how close I had come to massive abuse of the elderly...

Old 06-03-2009 | 07:45 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace

Sorry to hear about the bike getting banged up, but as we all know it can be fixed, your another story.
I'll bet you find a few new 'hurts' today than you thought you had yesterday.
Seems like every time I get banged up for whatever reason, nothing bad on this bike so far, thank God.
I seem to have more bruises the day after than I did the day it happens.
Must be they need to ferment or something before they let you know their around.

Good Luck with the bike and we will be waiting to see pics of the bike.
Any pics of her car would be nice too.
Call it morbid curiosity but I would be interested in seeing how much damage a 700+lb. Hog can do to a car, even at slow speeds.

Last edited by In Memoriam Citoriplus; 06-03-2009 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-03-2009 | 07:54 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member

Glad your OK! She is probably blind in one eye, and can't see out of the other!!

Quick Reply: Blue Hair strikes again