General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Nail Brigade

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009 | 03:27 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member

To many distracktions. Cell phones, cd and dvd players, black berrys, GPS, touch screen on these green cars that show how the car is using power. To much **** in these cars. That keep drivers from doing what there in a cage for in the first place. Watching the Road. Its all about money selling this stuff. I remember when all that was needed was Engine trans and AC. And a radio. It sucks

Old 11-25-2009 | 05:50 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

I agree something needs to be done. I was riding on a congested highway a few weeks back. The traffic was moving along at 65 but both lanes were going about the same speed. There was a young girl driving next to me for a good 10 miles texting the whole time. I couldn't wait to get away from her.

There was a piece on the news up here that compared reaction times of people texting verses over the limit with alcohol. The drivers texting were 30% slower in there reaction times than those over the limit. That is scary.

Old 11-25-2009 | 07:00 AM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TequilaJohn
New laws ain't gonna do squat. We have several regions in the country where it IS outlawed, and it still happens. Til they start treatin this for what it is...negligent vehicular homocide...ain't nuttin gonna change.
Correct. In Florida, there's a ststute on the books that covers texting, putting on makeup. smacking your kids etc etc. No need for an additional law to be created if this one is properly enforced. Years ago, I wrote several for women applying makeup. In my opinion, it is well written, short, simple, with plenty of case law to support it.....If only there was a push for enforcement like "Click it or Ticket".

316.1925 Careless driving.--

(1) Any person operating a vehicle upon the streets or highways within the state shall drive the same in a careful and prudent manner, having regard for the width, grade, curves, corners, traffic, and all other attendant circumstances, so as not to endanger the life, limb, or property of any person. Failure to drive in such manner shall constitute careless driving and a violation of this section.

(2) Any person who violates this section shall be cited for a moving violation, punishable as provided in chapter 318.

Old 11-25-2009 | 10:12 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by oct1949
Just the other day I saw a post that said some company has a new phone out that doesn't work while moving,,,,, that will stop the chit....maybe more will jump on the wagon...
i like the idea, but don't see it taking off. if i'm a passenger in someone's car (or even on a bus) then i can't use my phone?

i'm not a 'talker and driver' and i don't like this idea......

Old 11-25-2009 | 11:02 AM
MaLfUnCtIoN
Advanced

Cell phones and the distractions that come with them are a problem. Another problem is the "I'm bigger than you, eat **** and die" mentality of what seems a vast majority of drivers of minivans and SUV's on the road. I just had a "lady" in a white Envoy turn in front of me yesterday. The aggravating thing about the whole incident was the fact that she look directly at me before she turned into my path. Thank God my brakes are in good working order. I'm sure she understood fully why I gave her the full array of expletives that I have commmitted to memory.

Old 11-25-2009 | 12:36 PM
albertasaurus
Road Master

rdam, I agree we don't need another law on the books as there is already something there. Careless Driving, Driving With Undue Care and Attention, whatever...

It's a shame that we (society) have to spell things out so succinctly so people get it.

As to another post here about truckers, I see more and more truckers yakking on their cell phones. I love it when I hear, "I'm a professional driver, and..."; just because you get paid to drive doesn't mean you're any good at it.

Old 11-25-2009 | 12:50 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member

I work a casual shift as a gas station attendant ( gas jockey ) and sometime's I'll have someone pull in while using there cell phone. They just keep yapping or texting while I stand there waiting for them to open the window and tell me what gas they want. Some of them even have a smoke lit up and when I ask them to put out the smoke they look at me like I'm an ***. I want to pour gas in their lap and throw a match in the car.

Old 11-25-2009 | 02:22 PM
TFTCAR
Road Captain
Smile

Originally Posted by hpfatboy
It seems no matter how many people DIE from these FUC_ING CELL PHONES, nothing seems to change! Our polititions up here in CANADA have been DIDDLY DADDLY around with BANNING cell phones for the last 2 years, PROBLEM IS NONE OF THEM HAS THE ***** TO make the CHANGE. There all worried about NOT BEING RE-ELECTED POLITITIONS WILL SELL THERE SOUL TO THE DEVIL IF IT MEANS BEING RE-ELECTED!!!
Our hand held devise and cell phone law in B.C. takes affect Jan 1st 2010, It is fairly extensive in coverage . I just hope it makes a dent driver stupidity.

Old 11-25-2009 | 02:41 PM
smittyp83
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil

A few weeks later (Saturday, Memorial Day weekend), a husband and wife were killed as they rode with 5 other bikes. There were two cars stopped at a stop sign, waiting to let the bikers pass. A young woman came up behind them, and hit them without slowing - no word on what she was doing other than driving (although I heard a rumor she was texting). When she hit the two cars in front of her, she pushed them into the path of the bikes. All 6 bikes went down. Wade & Denise Thomas were killed.
I pass by this spot pretty often. There's a makeshift memorial on the side of the road.

Old 11-25-2009 | 04:19 PM
fatbob123
Road Captain

ok - i am a 90% car driver (hd is my love and passion but for weekends) and I hate the ****s I see texting / reading texts - tell you its worse in some ways than drink driving cause they dont believe what tey are doing is illegal where as a dd is just an ******* who knows what he is doing illegal - I am sorry for swearing but it now needs both bikers and car drivers to start reporting ********* they see doing this - no offence but women seem to "have" to text while driving a car -

Quick Reply: Black Nail Brigade