General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My battery is getting hot when I tried to jump my bike???

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009 | 08:06 PM
Julz883
|
Intermediate
Default My battery is getting hot when I tried to jump my bike???

My bike has some issues of that I'm sure thats why I'm trying to get it to the local bike shop to get it fixed I have a 06 883sportster with 3400 miles I just got a new speedo last year because my left turn signal indicator light would stay on so It worked for awile but I still gotta charge it everytime I ride I took it to the harley shop they put in new battery while still under warraqnty last year well now I'm just trying to get it to the shop I rode it a month ago 35miles came home wouldnt start. Now I'm just trying to get it to the shop could the battery being bad & trying to charge it make it hot like that I disconneted the charger which was only on trickle I guess i will have to trailer it or pay a wrecker. I just want to know what my cost for repair will be I have never heard of the battery getting hot Any ADVICE Its going to be in the shop All next weekend I am just concerned because It was running fine a month ago now I got the clicking 1st & then nothing but a hot battery..............

Old 05-31-2009 | 09:39 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member

most shops have a trailer or pickup to tow you bike for you. Give them a call first.

Old 05-31-2009 | 11:50 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

They get real hot quick if you put the neg on the pos post. Check and see very carefully if you had the jumper cables reversed.

Go to Wal-Mart and get the $20 1.5 amp battery tender. Plug it in when you park the bike and take it off when you leave out for a ride. There is parasitic draw on the battery. With a tender a battery will last 2 to 3 times longer so it is worth the price of a tender. Not counting all the agrivation.

Do that first. The tender should get the battery back in shape in ten to 12 hours.

I collect cars and cycles. I have 12 tenders keeping them charged. Some sit up to 6 months before I use them.

A motorcycle battery should never be charged at more than 2 amps. If you were jumping from a car battery you were way way over that.

Last edited by lh4x4; 05-31-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-01-2009 | 04:35 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by lh4x4
They get real hot quick if you put the neg on the pos post. Check and see very carefully if you had the jumper cables reversed.

Go to Wal-Mart and get the $20 1.5 amp battery tender. Plug it in when you park the bike and take it off when you leave out for a ride. There is parasitic draw on the battery. With a tender a battery will last 2 to 3 times longer so it is worth the price of a tender. Not counting all the agrivation.

Do that first. The tender should get the battery back in shape in ten to 12 hours.

I collect cars and cycles. I have 12 tenders keeping them charged. Some sit up to 6 months before I use them.

A motorcycle battery should never be charged at more than 2 amps. If you were jumping from a car battery you were way way over that.
I shudder at the thought of whats going on with your bearings and such after sitting for six months between starts...

Usually my bikes don't set more than a couple of days between use and on the occasion that they do... I still go out and start them even if its just long enough to get oil up to, in and around all the parts...

Still got the original battery in the '05 Sportster and never had a charger on it...

Did the orginal poster check all his connections for tightness and free of corrosion?

Just saying...

Charlie D.