General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dealer wont move on new bike prices

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006 | 05:36 AM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: dealer wont move on new bike prices

If you're in Spring Hill you're about an hour west from the dealer where I bought mine, in Clermont. Paid MSRP for the bike but got 15% off all parts and accessories. Great place to do business.

Old 05-15-2006 | 07:36 AM
Oleman
Advanced

Prices pretty much at MSRP around where I live, but I was at three different dealers a couple of weeks ago and or the first time in a couple of years the inventory that they had was low especially on baggers. Sales guys say the gas prices have definately been pushing sales

Old 05-15-2006 | 10:50 AM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member
Default RE: w

Yes, but a Harley costs more to operate overall. (At least a few of the members here got it right on that score.) Tire replacement @ 10K. More frequent service intervals, etc.. Besides, few would want to park their cage unlocked with the windows down all day in the company parking lot . Such is the case with parking your Harley there all day - anyone can screw with it. No thanks!

I think that the 250 -500cc bikes will be more apealing for daily transportation if fuel ecomomy is the driving reason for someone subsidizing their transportation needs with a motorcycle.

As for the dealers and the prices - Unless you're a CEO of a major corp. or big into "Big Oil", most of the economy is becoming less than stable regardless of what the Feds say. Major layoffs, capped retirements (or no retirements), escalating heath costs, staggering personal debt, insurance...need I go on? The ecomonical environment is changing, and Harley dealers are going to have to adapt if they want to stay in buisness. Thats why I believe you will see less demand in the near future for something viewed by most as an expensive toy .

Old 05-15-2006 | 11:02 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member

Bought my Low Rider a month ago, and did some comparison shopping. (Base price/SE1 slip-ons/HD Download/Backrest/Engine Guard)

Prices were all over the lot.

It came down to two delaers. One in town, one about 40 miles away. The dealership 40 miles out was $800 lower than the local dealer. Went back to the local dealer and said I'd buy it there if he would match the price. His response was "No, buy it elsewhere if you could get it cheaper."

So I did buy it at the better price.

Go figure!!

Sammi

Old 05-15-2006 | 05:09 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Cyclecycles

I thought I would chime in..

<snip>

Ok, maybe I was ranting a bit but hopefully someone will agree with some of what I wrote... :-)
I'll chime in here for ya. I agree. I didn't get any free stuff. I did get 10% off of parts that I added to the bike. I did get a lot of help determining what I wanted (I want it to have the harley sound, but I don't want to wake the neightbors. Result? SE pipes and Stage I. Perfect!) I did spend a lot of money (still spending I guess as it was a loan) but I did get the bike at MSRP and I was treated very well and still am everytime I come in to visit or shop. My salesman remembers me and we chat everytime I see him if he isn't with a customer. And when he is he'll smile and wave.

When I'm ready for a second ride I'll be back.

Old 05-15-2006 | 05:23 PM
jt1965
Road Captain

Bought my Lowrider in February for 500 under MSRP and they threw in the first years services free with Free piclup and delivery if I want.

Now they are offering free custom exhaust as well. But hey there are 6 harley dealers within an hour or so of my house.

Old 05-15-2006 | 06:34 PM
Ironhand
Road Master

Bought my 06 Ultra on 4/24/06 paid 900 below msrp, got no deal on parts or labor. But that is alright, as all i wanted was the bike itself. All things in consideration i made out as well as i had hoped for, as i am very pleased with the bike, the dealership and the service dept. All have treated me very well and as long as they do i will shop there.The dealership is in the busniess of making money, and i am out to get the best bang for my dollar. It seems like we both made out, his profit was enough,or seems so, and i got the best bang for my money.....A Ultra for 19,795.

Old 05-15-2006 | 07:49 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

ORIGINAL: aquaskiman

I got a thanks and a jar of Vaseline!

Be grateful you got the jar of Vaseline! I got a teaspoons worth for the 12" diameter poker they used!

Old 05-15-2006 | 08:03 PM
Bluerose

Hubby wanted Screaming Eagle UC. Dealer wanted $5000 over MSRP plus freight, etc.
Hubby refused and stuck with his current bike, heard that another dealer would have knocked it off and was in driving distance but we were already shopping for my bike, and at the time it was mine or his. (eheheh - I won!)

I got my Deluxe at MSRP + Freight, a decent discount on the warrenty, and 2 long sleeve T-shirts. Also got them to throw in my hubby's $120 FXRG riding gloves. No discount on part/acc but it worked out about even for that. Thinking I did OK since I pestered the dealer for about 6 months before I bought .

Old 05-15-2006 | 09:41 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Georgia Rider

My dealer gave me a T shirt. The 1000 mile service on my Dyna cost me $300.
I got 2 T-Shirts and 10% off anything I bought that day including my Stage 1 and Exhaust. That's is pretty much their attitude, if you don't buy it someone else will, especially in year around riding areas like Phoenix. My 1000 mile cost me $332. I will do them myself from now on.

Quick Reply: dealer wont move on new bike prices