General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dealer wont move on new bike prices

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006 | 03:58 PM
saidin43
Cruiser
Default RE: w

I picked up an '06 roadglide a month ago, traded in my sportster. I went to one dealer, they didn't even want the sportster, cause they already had too many, didn't even ask me what it was that I wanted to buy. Seemed like I coulda been there to buy a screaming eagle and they wouldn't have cared.

Next, went to another dealer, I wanted a price quoted for things I'd like to add to the bike, and their parts dept was somehow separate of the sales. So they couldn't quote a price until they had the bike, the parts, and the figured out the labor separately. I was outta there!

Next went to another dealer, we started pricing out the bike, and I said I wasn't going to buy the bike right then. The guy got pissed and the said "Why am I wasting my time?" I told him that he might just get my business. Well he didn't want to continue, so I didn't bother with them again. The key item though, was that I got the "out the door price" for the bike before he got pissed, and it was sticker price, plus the security and efi systems.

Finally went back to the dealer which I bought my sportster 3 year before. They were selling the roadglide over sticker. I asked em to match the price that the previous dealer had quoted me, as these guys wanted about 1100 over that. They matched it, and now I'm a happy RG owner, but what a pain in the butt!

The whole time, I couldn't beleive the attitude I got from the dealers. Mostly the way that they felt they were doing me a favor by selling me a bike. I've been in sales myself for years, so I was even more amazed. If I had that attitude when I was selling, i'd be fired in 2seconds. Of course, I'm not selling something you can only get from me It was a learning experience, but shopping around can sometimes help lower the price. But below sticker is prolly asking too much.

Old 05-14-2006 | 04:21 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member

Dealer attitudes will change. The time is swiftly approaching when the average person will no longer be able to purchase a $15K -$20K recreational toy.

Old 05-14-2006 | 04:44 PM
vegashd
Banned

ORIGINAL: Jezcruzen

Dealer attitudes will change. The time is swiftly approaching when the average person will no longer be able to purchase a $15K -$20K recreational toy.
No longer too? Heck the middle class in America is stronger then it has ever been. More and more people are able to purchase recreational toys these days.

Old 05-14-2006 | 05:11 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

It's only been the last few years that most dealers would consider selling to you for MSRP. Before that supply hadn't yet met demand and you would probably have ended up paying a couple thousand over.

In 01 I bought a new Heritage Classic. Tucson Harley wouldn't talk to me about MSRP. At my wifes suggestion we went to the library and started using out of town yellow pages. I found Buddy Stubbs in Phoenix willing to sell at MSRP. He got my business plus all the accessories.

For the most part they hold all the marbles and they know it.

Old 05-14-2006 | 05:16 PM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: dealer wont move on new bike prices

My dealer gave me the keys to my bike and showed me where it was.

Old 05-14-2006 | 05:29 PM
saidin43
Cruiser

Thats what they did to my friend who picked up an 06 roadglide from one of the other dealers. Here's the keys, congrats, have a good one. When I picked up my bike, they had me sign a paper after a good look over, went over all the operational features of the bike, how to use the radio, the security, even the pump for the air shock. Now thats service, and its why I'll pay a bit more to go with these guys.

Old 05-14-2006 | 05:38 PM
vegashd
Banned

ORIGINAL: saidin43

Thats what they did to my friend who picked up an 06 roadglide from one of the other dealers. Here's the keys, congrats, have a good one. When I picked up my bike, they had me sign a paper after a good look over, went over all the operational features of the bike, how to use the radio, the security, even the pump for the air shock. Now thats service, and its why I'll pay a bit more to go with these guys.

Grand Canyon HD just outside of flagstaff did a similar thing. Gave me an hour run down on the SG. Most of which I alreadyh knew. Introduced me to the service guys, the Parts guys. EVERYONE

Old 05-14-2006 | 07:12 PM
maxwellpolish
Novice

You should not pay more than a couple of hundred dollars over MSRP...if that, even!

Also shop around. Many times, dealers will boost prices based upon demographics. That is why I bought my bike in Racine, WI. versus suburban Chicago. Saved $1500-$2000 from the prices I have seen around here.

Old 05-14-2006 | 09:00 PM
71tradewind
Tourer

ORIGINAL: aquaskiman

I got a thanks and a jar of Vaseline!

You got the whole jar .......I only got a lil sample sized tube!

Old 05-14-2006 | 09:05 PM
71tradewind
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Jezcruzen

Can,t say I agree totally with this ...as the price of gas goes up, people will view motorcycles less as a "recreational toy" and more as something for the daily commute.Its still half the price of a car and achieves twice the average gas mileage of a car.

Quick Reply: dealer wont move on new bike prices