Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Spastik
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, figured I'd update...

Found a dealer for Scorpion and I am very glad I did. Although the fit and finish on them is awesome for the price, they just won't work for my mellon. I tried on an XXL 700 and my nose was still touching up front and no matter how hard I tried, my big ears would not unfold. The 1000 was better fit wise as I am sure it has more room up front for the inner shield, but the shield doesn't go down far enough and I still have the ear issue. Granted, all helmets need a little work to get the ol dumbo ears down (cept my Arai) but the scorpions just refused.

So I am gonna drop the internal visor thing and just get a polychromatic visor. Also, quiet may have to just be earplugs since I live in GA and ventilation is a big concern... I'd just like good ventilation and more quiet than the RX7 lol

Next one to look at is the Bell Star. Newer technology and supposedly fairly quiet for the best ventilation of any full face. Guess I'll find out next week

Old 06-04-2009, 04:13 PM
WarBootie
Tourer

I tried a shuberth, and it didnt fit my fat head. the RF's, as you stated are narrow. I bought a RF1000 and man it is quiet, but my fat damned ears keep getting in the way. Nolan is a good product. I have put over 100k on one. not the quietest, but the modular design is very nice.
I full face it on my work commute and 1/2 it for the slower weekend rides.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:39 PM
guitarman777
Road Captain

Dude, if you wanna wear a full face, wear a friggin' full face. Bullocks to the naysayers, it's your head, protect it however you want to. I'm a full face guy, works for me.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:19 PM
frankjake
Road Master

A lot of Harley riders I know wear full face helmets. They range in age from very young to very old.

I wear a full face when on long trips because my eyes get really dry even with goggles.

Arai is rated very high but they are about $300 - $400.

A few years back someone told me that a helmet needs to be replaced after about 5 years. I had never heard of this and thought he was BSing me. So I did a search online and found a lot of info about helmets.

From my point of view, if you get any DOT and SNELL rated helmet, they are all going to have about the same amount of protection. And let me say again... ALMOST the same but not exactly the same.

From what I read usually the more expensive helmets have more confort foam. I do have to say, my buddies Arai is very comfortable but like I said, it was expensive, even on sale.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:45 AM
Minnesota FXDF
Cruiser

Originally Posted by frankjake
A lot of Harley riders I know wear full face helmets. They range in age from very young to very old.

I wear a full face when on long trips because my eyes get really dry even with goggles.

Arai is rated very high but they are about $300 - $400.

A few years back someone told me that a helmet needs to be replaced after about 5 years. I had never heard of this and thought he was BSing me. So I did a search online and found a lot of info about helmets.

From my point of view, if you get any DOT and SNELL rated helmet, they are all going to have about the same amount of protection. And let me say again... ALMOST the same but not exactly the same.

From what I read usually the more expensive helmets have more confort foam. I do have to say, my buddies Arai is very comfortable but like I said, it was expensive, even on sale.
This is exactly how I feel. If you have a DOT / SNELL helmet you have very little difference in the level of protection whether you paid $600 or less than $200. That said, fit and comfort mean everything and just like Frankjake stated the higher end helmets tend to be more comfortable. I have been lucky and found a few less expensive helmets that fit me well but usually I end spending a little more. Helmet technology has come a long way and even the inexpensive helmets of today are much more comfortable than what we had 25 years ago.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Lt James
Tourer

If they actually fixed the whistling / noise issues from the original S1 then it's most likely going to be a gem of a helmet. It's the only reason I didn't get one this winter and got another RF1000.

I'm on my 4th Shoei, 2nd RF1000, I just like how they fit my oversized melon.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I wear a full face also.

Now that you are a Harley owner you shouldn't give a f&@K what anyone thinks. Do what you want, and if they don't like it, tough shat!