Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 06:26 AM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Full face is always the smarter choice, Don't let anyones opinion stop you

Old 05-31-2009, 07:29 AM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm trying to figure out what the rest of your body is going to look like after a 180 mph crash even if your head is protected??????????????????????????????????????

Old 05-31-2009, 07:42 AM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by meatball64
I dunno if this is true or not but I'll pass it on. I was was told by a motorcycle officer people that wear full face helmets have a greater chance of breaking there neck when they go down.
You can argue the pros and cons till the cows come home , a thousand different scenarios where it helps you or hurts you ..

I wear all three , but think about what your face will look like if your helmet slides on the pavement with an open face helmet ..

We all accept risks in everything we do , just a given , chance you take ..

Old 05-31-2009, 08:13 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Wear what you want to your comfort level. I was at a local bike rally yesterday, parked with all the HD riders...and the only one wearing a helmet. No one said anything, or appeared to care about it enough to say something. I wear a Shoei FF about 100% of the time.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:20 AM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Wear what you want to your comfort level. I was at a local bike rally yesterday, parked with all the HD riders...and the only one wearing a helmet. No one said anything, or appeared to care about it enough to say something. I wear a Shoei FF about 100% of the time.

My choice as well RF1000

Old 05-31-2009, 09:11 AM
harleyxlc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the inner sun shield is a must, then you are limited. I haven't worn the one in your link, but I use this type of helmet for commuting. Had the HJC FS10 and now use a Scorpion EXO 1000. I find the HJC feels cheaper than my other helmets (Arai in the past and now an RF1000 for the weekends). The Scorpion has more vents, more pieces come out to clean...but I find the sun shade wiggles while I ride...just looked a bit weird until I got used to it.

My advice is get a helmet you can try on first. Fit is so important and can be so different among brands and even models. Don't know where you can try on a Schuberth....but you can always google and try to find other reviews of it.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:52 AM
The Architect
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by honestbob
I'm trying to figure out what the rest of your body is going to look like after a 180 mph crash even if your head is protected??????????????????????????????????????

There was an old guy at bonneville(sp?) a while back trying to set some sort of land speed record on a motorcycle and went down at a ludicrous speed and broke just about every bone in his body but was braggin that he did not have a scratch on him anywhere. I suppose if you wear the best protective appearel out there, and I trust someone going 180 MPH would be, you will actually just slide for a REALLY long way. That is until you hit something resulting in a sudden stop.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:29 AM
Minnesota FXDF
Cruiser

Originally Posted by harleyxlc
My advice is get a helmet you can try on first. Fit is so important and can be so different among brands and even models. Don't know where you can try on a Schuberth....but you can always google and try to find other reviews of it.

I couldn't agree more. I have been riding for over 30 years and have always been a FF guy. Helmets are SO much better now than in the old days but you still have to try them on.

One manufacturer's large is not the same as another's. Even within the same company different models will not fit the same even if they are the same size. It is best if you can try on several different brands / models before you buy. Around here, if you are looking for a FF, it is either the spring dealers motorcycle show or a metric dealer. When you get one that fits correctly you will know it right away. Good fit is everything.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:30 PM
Spastik
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Centerline
You have got to be putting me on. I wear the same Scorpion helmets on my Ducati as I do my Fat Bob or Dorsoduro or KTM Adventure or TW200. Usually a black one on the Fat Bob or maybe a Red/Black or black/white one. I wear what I want to wear for ME, I could give a hoot in hell for what fellow riders wear, whatever type bike they be riding and I sure as heck could care even less what they think about my lid and duds.

Maybe they tried to give ya **** but they just couldn't catch up to ya

Sweet bikes bro! Ya ever get to barber in Alabama? That's my favorite track although I do wanna get out to Laguna sometime (I hear it's not near as good since they changes the corkscrew for the moto GP guys).

Old 05-31-2009, 01:30 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Funny,I don't wear a helmet,if a full face makes you comfortable what difference should it make what your friends say.Getting razed and giving it back is what it is all about.In my opinion seeing someone with a fullface on and in only shorts and sneakers looks quite dumb,but who am I to say. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Confused!!