General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preference when using 3/4 helmet

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Jhorra
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preference when using 3/4 helmet

I use a 3/4 helmet and have been trying out various ways of riding with it. I was wondering how other people ride with them. I've tried with the face shield, with just tinted goggles or glasses, and goggles/glasses with a bandanna over my mouth and nose.

Lately I've been really liking using the bandanna as I get the wind in my face, but not the bugs.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Robus
5th Gear

I wear prescription eye glasses that do a pretty good job of keeping the wind and bugs out of my eyes when I'm riding with the face shield up. When speed goes up, the shield tends to come down.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:16 AM
harleygeezer
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wear a 3/4 Shoei RJ Platinum with no face shield or visor with wileyx sunglasses that have the foam padding.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:45 AM
woody69
Cruiser

If your worried about bugs wear a full face!!! Otherwise just ride and enjoy, if you want to keep clean and bug and grime free. STAY IN YOUR CAR!!!

Old 06-09-2009, 04:22 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 770 Posts

I'll wear my half for local riding, but on longer trips I will use my 3/4 with the face shield. Not so much for the bugs but it's easier on my ears (which apparently have gotten older along with the rest of me) and is less tiring. As soon as I find a good pair of prescription goggles I will ditch the shield.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:20 PM
ernofsteel007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

prefer not to be seen in one lol. i have worn a military commando helmet which is basically a 3/4 helmet (only it looks cool), but didn't like my ears partially or fully covered. they got this half face beanie thats like russell crowes GLADIATOR mask at santiago choppers if your just wanting more coverage than a beanie. moving to a 3/4 is a slippery slope with guys that do that usually getting windshields, fairings, hard bags and before U know it your gramps. goog luck with what you get

Old 06-09-2009, 07:25 PM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I love 3/4. It's all I use year round. I used to have a snap on face shield. It let rain in. I now have a flip down. It only comes down in the rain or below 40 degrees. Wrap around prescription glasses. A lower face mask in cold weather.
Did the same when I had a Wide Glide and no windscreen.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been using a 3/4 with flip shield for the last three years. This is the helmet I use the most because of it's versatility. I used to alternate between using the flip shield and the visor. Wound up trashing the visor (useless, and makes me look like the Great Gazoo anyway) and just leaving the flip shield on. Also have a full helmet for cold temps and a half helmet for hot days, but if I could only have one helmet it would be the 3/4.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:07 PM
pearlwhite
Cruiser

I have a two. One has a face shield which I use on really cool days. The other I use when in bright sunlight because it has a large brim on the front. I wear prescription sport glasses which are tinted. I also have two half helmets and since the bike has a wind shield I haven't had too much problems with bugs in the face.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:13 PM
mtnbikerx
Tourer
Default 3/4 is my main helmet

Use it with wrap around sunglasses with foam gaskets. Works fine at (very high) highway speeds. I've raced mechanical things all my life and I understand the how and why of skull protection. On colder days I use my RF-1000 full face.

Quick Reply: Preference when using 3/4 helmet