General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rx riding glasses - issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 05:34 PM
KnightWRX
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rx riding glasses - issue

I've searched around the whole forum and I haven't seen this issue discussed. I ordered some Wiley-X SG-1s on the Web with my prescription. They finally came around and while the prescription is right, my vision is distorted. The problem stems from the fact that the glasses are arched and as such, the lens sit at an angle in front of eyes instead of dead straight and as such, objects appear narrower and with a slight bend. Since the glasses are flexible, if I do bend them until the lens sit straight, everything becomes fine.

Now I've talked to a few local opticians and they say this is perfectly normal of angled sport type glasses and about the only thing I can do is just get used to it. One guy did say they had a process to cut lenses specifically for these glasses, but to remake my prescription would basically cost the same thing I paid for the entire frames + 2 pairs of Rx lenses online.

I've worn the glasses for about 30 minutes max up to now and I am having a hard time getting used to them (especially since they are tinted, and not something I can just wear all the time). Did any glass wearers have this problem ? Did you finally get used to it ?

Old 05-27-2009, 05:45 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,176 Posts

I got goggles for rain and night riding and they were perfect - luv them. I ordered wrap-around sunglasses a year later and had the same ordeal as you describe. I wore them a year after heating and bending them (too much) and I thought I may have distorted the lens with heat.

The identical frame/lens went on sale a few months ago and I ordered - same prescription. They are perfect vision-wise. So I don't know whether it was me or them on the first pair (but I think it was "them")

Let me quess -- if you close one eye and look slightly to the side with the other - they are good, but straight ahead everything is a bit distorted?

Old 05-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm on my second pair of Rx wraparound sunglasses for riding. I just go to my optician and pick a frame and have them do the perscription.
In fact I'm due for a new pair. These are prolly over 4yrs old now.

Mine don't angle in towards the bottom, but the wraparound did take a little getting used to looking side to side. Prolly took several weeks before I stopped noticeing it completely.

As for tint, I have my lenses made with a slight tint on top which fades towards the bottom, and they are Sun sensor Lenses. Clear sun sensor lenses don't get dark enough for me. With the tint, they get very dark in the sunlight and I don't need to change glasses or lenses for night riding.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:54 PM
KnightWRX
Road Captain

Originally Posted by t150vej
I got goggles for rain and night riding and they were perfect - luv them. I ordered wrap-around sunglasses a year later and had the same ordeal as you describe. I wore them a year after heating and bending them (too much) and I thought I may have distorted the lens with heat.

The identical frame/lens went on sale a few months ago and I ordered - same prescription. They are perfect vision-wise. So I don't know whether it was me or them on the first pair (but I think it was "them&quot

Let me quess -- if you close one eye and look slightly to the side with the other - they are good, but straight ahead everything is a bit distorted?
Yep, exactly like you describe. Basically, if I adjust myself so that the lens sits straight with my eye (by closing the other and looking sideways a bit like you say), everything is back to normal. I'll check with Opticsplanet to see if something went wrong in the cutting process, I don't have much hope with what the opticians told me though.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member

I use Rx Wiley-X wrap arounds too. I don't have that issue. Must be that my crooked head counters it.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:00 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by KnightWRX
Yep, exactly like you describe. Basically, if I adjust myself so that the lens sits straight with my eye (by closing the other and looking sideways a bit like you say), everything is back to normal. I'll check with Opticsplanet to see if something went wrong in the cutting process, I don't have much hope with what the opticians told me though.
I didn't cause I was going on a 7K ride in 3 days when mine showed up. But especially if you've had them less than month, I'd recommend contacting the maker and see if they will offer warranty replacement/adjustment. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one to return things, but vision is extremely important on a bike and that's why we bought them, right?

Most vision places are very good at offering to get things "right" because they also know that importance, as well as the negative repercussions of not making things right.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:31 PM
DukeofEarl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KnightWRX
I've searched around the whole forum and I haven't seen this issue discussed. I ordered some Wiley-X SG-1s on the Web with my prescription. They finally came around and while the prescription is right, my vision is distorted. The problem stems from the fact that the glasses are arched and as such, the lens sit at an angle in front of eyes instead of dead straight and as such, objects appear narrower and with a slight bend.
Interesting - I have had the same problem. Ordered a pair of the Wiley XL-1 to my prescription and they are perfect for vision. Ordered a pair of the Wiley Air Rage and when looking straight forward there is definite distortion. Had my opthomoligist check them out and the prescription is right on. Tried for several weeks to get used to them but could not without turning my head sideways in each direction to get clear vision. The only thing that it could be was the base curve for the Air Rage had a higher number than the XL-1 (i.e., they had a greater bend). Wasted money on the Air Rage since I can't wear them.

Last edited by DukeofEarl; 05-27-2009 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 05-27-2009, 06:50 PM
deni
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently got a new pair of Wylie SG-1 RX's & mine are perfect.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:38 PM
hdlowryder
Tourer

I'm on my forth set of wrap arounds over the last 18 years. The latest is the same model as yours and I don't have that problem. Its possible that it might be the strength and focal point of your prescription.
I am only nearsighted and need them at night, Yes one pair is clear lens. Many years ago I learned to go to a local optometrist, they'll keep doing it until the lens are right. I didn't find that with the mail order ones.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:05 PM
mike camp
Tourer

i have a pair of costa del mar sun glasses that i use for both fishing and riding my bike , they are prescription with bi-focal hade these for 4 yrs now no distortion at all ,just a little costly but worth it

Quick Reply: Rx riding glasses - issue