General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duece or Softail Deluxe for the Wife?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 10:55 AM
iceman5218
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Duece or Softail Deluxe for the Wife?

Wife just starting to ride. Getting her set up for either MSF or Riders Edge class. She thinks she wants a Duece but I think when she gets comfortable riding she would like the Deluxe more. She's 5'3" and neither of us live in a gym. She can flat-foot one side and tip toe the other on the Deluxe and Flat Foot both on the Duece. Any thoughts from the wise?

Old 05-27-2009, 11:01 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you can't put both feet down flat and control the bike then you are just asking for trouble one day.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:07 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Tough call there. Get her what she is comfortable on to start. If she then wants to move up get the deluxe.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:10 AM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if she can safely handle it then why shouldn't she get the one she wants? just provide all the info and let her try out the different models that interest her and let her make her own informed decision.

of course, you could also just by a little 250 rebel or some other bike that you don't mind her f--king up. let her hone her skills on that for a little while before you throw her on a bigger bike.

either way, let it be her decision.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:12 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Both are great bikes. The Deuces are more nimble than the Deluxe if that's important at all (better lean angle).

First though, what kind of footwear was she wearing when she was sitting on these bikes? Reason I ask is I am 5'2" and in bare feet or footwear without much heel, I cannot flat foot my unlowered Deluxe. But in my riding boots which easily have an inch and a-half or so of heel, I'm flat footed. So the right footwear can make a difference. Otherwise, sounds like you'd have to get the Deluxe lowered which isn't that big of a deal.

Best advice, let her get her endorsement then take her and let her demo ride both and decide from that.

I'm sure you'll get some follow-up comments about better to get a cheap metric to start with first and then move up to an HD, which is not a bad suggestion either.

Best of luck to her at the class.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:17 AM
trslim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Georgia. Get the experience, demo and/or rent until she's comfortable and safe. Then enjoy...

Old 05-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Medic1971
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 flat feet are always better than one.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:41 AM
06flstf
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After searching for year (while wife rode a Honda 250 for practice and experience) she found a Deluxe that fit her perfectly (both feet flat on ground with boot heals). When you look at a Deluxe at the dealer ask to try different seats. There are a couple of Reach seats that look good on a Softail and move the rider around a bit. Wife is maybe a little shorter than average height for a lady - she tried the Dyna Low rider, Sportster 1200xl, etc. As soon as she sat on this Deluxe that was all she wrote. It was used so we are not sure exactly what was done to it - dealer claimed it was not lowered (still have factory shocks) but it sat lower than the others she had tried.

Last edited by 06flstf; 05-27-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:47 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

At 24" the Deluxe does have the lowest stock seat height of any HD.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:50 AM
10ring
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend has a Deuce and let my wife ride it. She wanted one but wanted to look at the Deluxe. She couldn't really sit flat-footed on it until some sharp-thinking salesman put a Sundowner seat on it. Problem solved, and she loves her Deluxe. Another friend of hers took a ride on the Deuce, took a ride on the Deluxe w/Sundowner, and she wound up with a Lowrider.

Quick Reply: Duece or Softail Deluxe for the Wife?