General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bee Stings

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 11:23 AM
74_ironhead
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bee Stings

ORIGINAL: SUPER01

Windshields don't always help, I have one.
I got stung twice last summer on the bike, first time hit a yellow jacket and somehow the thing held on and crawled down the back of my shirt which of course is tucked into my pants and started stinging me while going down the shirt. Stopped the bike as fast as I could, and ripped the shirt out from inside my pants before that sucker got down there.
The second time was strange, I'm filling the bike up at a gas station with my right hand on the nozzle, left one holding the hose, watching the gas go into the almost full tank when I feel pain on my left hand look down thinking it got pinched or something and there are 2 bees falling to the ground. Must have been a nest nearby or something.

June bugs are another story, big and messy but at least they don't sting. Caught one on the ear, somehow it missed the two straps from my half helmet and went right between them to hit my ear. Felt really good doing 65 mph![sm=smiley21.gif]
I don't wear a helmet about 25% of the time and a june bug exploded in my hair, that was nasty. as for bees last week I had one go up my left sleeve I felt something hit my arm just figured it was a pebble or something from the road, get home 20 min later and it stings my elbow as I take my jacket off! I was not ready for that. then the next day I put my jacket back on and the stinger was stuck in the sleeve, damn bees.

Old 05-15-2006, 07:59 PM
Zonian
6th Gear

Anyone ever try a hankerchief or one of those half face deals for the cold but for the bugs??? seems like it would work but maybe not...

Old 06-23-2006, 11:35 AM
XRP
Ultimate HDF Member

Little b@stards, got one again last night. Went up my right sleeve and didnt like it in there I guess. Bit me on the bicept. Still burning this morning.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:09 PM
hd lady
Tourer

Went to bike night last night and this kid came up and had a ice pack on his eye, we joked and asked him "did we miss the fight" he took off the ice pack and showed us where he got his a** kicked by a bee. Stung him just on the edge of his left eye and was almost swollen shut.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:55 PM
Cessna172
Cruiser

Unless you live in Antarctica, bees happen. But ya know, I always understood that the stinger was on the back side of the bee; yet, each time I’ve been stung while riding, the sting was like instantaneous with the bee strike.

This can only mean one of two things: (1) The bees somehow mutate when they are in proximity of a motorcycle and fly backwards; or, (2) The bee isn’t actually running into me at all. Rather, I am running into it! I tend to believe number (2).

In that case, it is I who is actually running down the unsuspecting bee and impaling my face onto its stinger!

Kinda shakes one faith in Darwinism.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 06-23-2006, 03:23 PM
wildwill
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was riding around Deep Creek Lake in the fall, wearing a 3/4 helmet with a clear shield. Friggin bee flew up into my face. Was on a very narrow road and almost lost it trying to stop and get the damn thing out. Luckily it didn't sting me.

This little ba$tard was aiming for my hand but saw hisself in the chrome

[IMG]local://upfiles/2376/8E421A4749F843C2B0DC66386ABCFBAB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-23-2006, 03:57 PM
Crux
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Cessna172

Unless you live in Antarctica, bees happen. But ya know, I always understood that the stinger was on the back side of the bee; yet, each time I’ve been stung while riding, the sting was like instantaneous with the bee strike.

This can only mean one of two things: (1) The bees somehow mutate when they are in proximity of a motorcycle and fly backwards; or, (2) The bee isn’t actually running into me at all. Rather, I am running into it! I tend to believe number (2).

In that case, it is I who is actually running down the unsuspecting bee and impaling my face onto its stinger!

Kinda shakes one faith in Darwinism.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
An astute observation. I like the mutation theory more, though. [&:]

Old 06-23-2006, 10:15 PM
Gesner
Novice

ORIGINAL: Redhead1

I was just cruising down a small two lane road a couple of years ago and had a wasp or hornet of some kind go down my collar. I thought it was a leaf or something at first, then I felt it crawling around and I started swatting at it. Bad move. That's when it started stinging me. I pulled over to the side of the road real quick and ended up stripped to the waist to get the thing out. Would you believe the the flew off unharmed after all that swatting and hurried stripping off of clothes???? [:@]

This is sorta what happened to me.

When I was learning to ride, I took us down a road that turned into gravel. Hubby decided to lead -- thinking that it wouldn't be gravel for long, 'cause it was marked as a state road on the map. So here I am on gravel for the first time, and in the rear, and a bee gets under my shirt, and starts stinging my front.[>:] Well, I was too nervous to just stop [] so i ride on and got stung about 8 times. Finally I just did give up & stop and took my shirt off and the sucker flew off. [:@] Man was I unglued that I didn't get a chance to kill the *$&#$%. Yes, I kept my bra on, and it was out in the middle of nowhere, so no free shows.

Old 06-24-2006, 02:51 AM
BigGeorge
Road Captain

A wasp is the worst because they actually bite instead of sting. A bee usually stings once and the stinger is ripped out of his a$$, but a wasp can bite many times. I had a wasp fly up the left sleve of my leather jacket / shirt and bite me 4 times between my wrist and my armpit before I could safely stop and get my jacket and shirt off. To anyone passing by I must have looked like I was doing some kind of rain dance...............BG

Old 06-24-2006, 03:01 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

A wasp is the worst because they actually bite instead of sting. A bee usually stings once and the stinger is ripped out of his a$$, but a wasp can bite many times.
Wasps also sting, but unlike bees generally, they can [sting] repeatedly.

[edit=fix typo]

Quick Reply: Bee Stings