General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bee Stings

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 04:17 AM
fatguyona1000
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bee Stings

I rode through a swarm once on my sportbike. Was wearing full gear and didn't get stung, but me and my bike were covered in sticky goo. Waited til the next day to clean it......that was a chore.

Old 05-14-2006, 05:43 AM
DanDeuce
Road Captain

I get stung once or twice a year , I'm deadly allergic to them . Carry an Epi-Pen (epinephrine , adrenilin ) all the time , have a ride buddy whose girl friend got stung while feeding her horses , before she could get back to the house for her shot she died ! Nothing to play with for those of you who are allergic , don't chance a 30 minute drive to the hospital , get and carry the shot . My respond time seems to be getting shorter with every sting .

Dan

Old 05-14-2006, 06:25 AM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been lucky so far only problem I have are these dang Beatles that are like flying M1A1's they are about size of a bee but have a hella hard shell and when they hit you leaves a nasty mark, got hit last year by one under my right eye looked like someone popped me

Old 05-14-2006, 12:21 PM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member

I had a bee hit me last summer while riding. It bounced and landed in my shirt. It got lodged in my bra and stung me you know where. OUCH!
It's amazing the poor thing didn't suffocate in there

Old 05-14-2006, 12:39 PM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

A few days before my windshield came in, I was out riding at about 50 mph. Got hit right on the side of my nose just below the eye. I didn't know what hit me at 1st, thought it was a rock. Next day the whole side of my face was swollen....another good reason to have a windshield!

Old 05-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior

I've been stung in the chest and neck mostly. Lost count of just how many times. They just fly into the open top of the jacket and wind up down the shirt or stuck in the collar. Once when I was riding home from work, a big a$$ bumble bee wound up INSIDE my full face helmet. Don't know how he got in there, but the next thing I know this flying tennis ball is bouncing between my face and the face shield. A snap-on face shield. No flip. Summoning all the restraint I could muster, I made a barely controlled panic stop onto the shoulder, just let the bike stall out in gear, pulled the gloves, undid the strap, and shot the helmet up off my head like it was a morter round. Then stared swating and flapping my arms around like I was fighting an imaginary Ninja while letting the bike down on the engine guard. This was during evening rush hour in a heavily populated suburb. Next thing I know a crowd of pedestrians are all staring at me, some with perplexed looks on their faces, and some laughing so hard they were wetting themselves. And ya know what? NEVER GOT STUNG! I also went that week and got a windshied and never again put on a snap shield on my helmet.

Old 05-14-2006, 04:21 PM
DanDeuce
Road Captain

Mr. Kicks and Others ,

Don't think just because you have a windshield it will stop them dive bombers . When I first got my Deuce I put on the HD quick detach windshield ( taller model ). The angle of the shield is the same as my forks with no curvature on the wibndshield to throw up any turbulence to divert bugs . Its been off the bike for two years now , smashes bees real good headed for my chest , never been stung there without a windshield . I've watched bigger bugs come straight in and smack me in the neck/face and stung in the case of bees . Damn thing is FUGLY and did'nt stop the bees , my only reason for the shield , so off it came ! Might try the Windvest , looks of a much better design , but don't want to invest over $300 to experiment !

Dan

Old 05-14-2006, 05:18 PM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I keep a bee sting kit now. Learned the hard way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

ORIGINAL: 100thRK

Got nailed in the throat once and I am allergic to them. Headed right forhospital about 35 miles away. By the time I got there I was in bad shape. Damn bees!!!!!
You need to keep some benedril or bee antidote on your bike at all times. No joke, my buddy damn near died like that when stung while fishing 20 miles off shore.

Old 05-14-2006, 09:50 PM
hoghappy
Intermediate

Hey , this one time going to band camp , a bee flew into my right half glove ,lodged in between my fingers and started stinging me. I couldn`t pull over at the time. I was smacking my hand against the handle grip to try and kill it ....but it was too late , he did his job and stung me good ......thats 1 for the bee !

Old 05-15-2006, 01:08 AM
SUPER01
Road Warrior

Windshields don't always help, I have one.
I got stung twice last summer on the bike, first time hit a yellow jacket and somehow the thing held on and crawled down the back of my shirt which of course is tucked into my pants and started stinging me while going down the shirt. Stopped the bike as fast as I could, and ripped the shirt out from inside my pants before that sucker got down there.
The second time was strange, I'm filling the bike up at a gas station with my right hand on the nozzle, left one holding the hose, watching the gas go into the almost full tank when I feel pain on my left hand look down thinking it got pinched or something and there are 2 bees falling to the ground. Must have been a nest nearby or something.

June bugs are another story, big and messy but at least they don't sting. Caught one on the ear, somehow it missed the two straps from my half helmet and went right between them to hit my ear. Felt really good doing 65 mph![sm=smiley21.gif]

Quick Reply: Bee Stings