General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat tire - tube only or whole new tire

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 03:55 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Flat tire - tube only or whole new tire

I have an '08 Street Bob. Only about 1800 miles on it. Got a nail in the rear tire. Dealer wants obviously to sell me a new tire. My tires have tubes. I figure I only want a new tube - the tires are barely used. They say sand will get in tire and rub on tube and cause another flat. I say put something in the hole then, so no sand can get to the tube.

Basically, is there really a reason, safety wise, that I should buy a new tire when I have a practically new tire?

UPDATE!!! >>>> Dealer replaced the tube - BUT when I went to pick it up and said, "well, you DID patch it, right", the guy looked at me like I had 3 eyes. I said, you know, hot patched, or sealed it somehow on the inside? And he said they aren't allowed to plug tires. I repeated "PATHCHED ON THE INSIDE, not PLUGGED!!", and he said he had never heard such a thing, and something about it's not done in the motorcycle industry. AAARRGGGH. I was home sick with a nasty sinus infection. He got an earful, and I walked away with a new tube, and an $80 bill!! ($30 something for the parts, $39.50 for labor, plus tax.). Once our maintenance agreement is up (which does NOT include tires, I found out), I will not go back there for service.

Last edited by June Bug; 05-27-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:09 PM
bobernet
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it were me, I'd put an internal patch on, and just replace the tube.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:13 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Agreed, for a small nail hole not in the sidewall, a patch & new tube.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:14 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It's going to depend on where the hole is, and how large it is. If it's not very big, and not in the dead center of the tread area, I'd do like bobernet suggests.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Romark
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1. I don't buy into this new tire thing. I know I will get flamed from the experts because "you only have two tires to start with why take a chance" stuff.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:17 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Patch it, new tube and keep riding on it. I've never heard of a tube being rubbed through by sand if the hole is patched correctly. A hot patch on the inside of the tire and a new tube and you're on your way.

If the hole is really big, new tire, small nail hole, patch it.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:23 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, hubby is still fuming. He told 'em to just put a GD tube in it. Period. The nail wasn't that big, it was right in the inside of the tread, center of the tire, NOT the sidewall.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:30 PM
rockabillygrl
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me. Dealer replaced the tube. I have pre-paid maintenance which includes a free set of tires. But with less than 1,000 miles I didn't want to replace a brand new tire just because of a flat. Mine's been fine since. Cost me $100 with labor. Sounds like they are trying to rip you off.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Romark
Road Master

That usually is the dealers first thing out of their mouth. "You need a new tire and we just so happen to have one that will fit in stock."

Old 05-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Grammaton
Road Master

I would have patched the tube, but I have lots of experience fixing flats (and I'm cheap). The nail displaced rubber around itself. It won't cause another flat.

Quick Reply: Flat tire - tube only or whole new tire