General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat tire - tube only or whole new tire

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 11:07 AM
95ci springer
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a screw go into my rear tire on a trip and called to get towed to their dealership. Free tow because of HOG. They told me I neede a new tire and I said patch it and put on a new tube. They gave me the "I don't have a patch or plug" BS. So I had no choice but to buy the new tire. $300 and I was on my way. This dealer is out of state and in a big city, but I will never go back to that dealer as long as I can help it.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:25 AM
fly
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a tube, I would patch...tubeless I replace...just my 2 cents.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:32 PM
rcc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer is trying to rip you off. I had 3 flats from nails last summer. Replaced the tube each time and we are good to go. Still have the same tire on now, several thousand miles later.
I do have a new tire waiting to go on as soon as I stop riding long enough to change it.
Remove the wheel yourself and take it to an indy, way more cheaoer.

Ron

Old 05-27-2009, 02:47 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default UPDATE on Tire vs Tube question

UPDATE!!! >>>> Dealer replaced the tube - BUT when I went to pick it up and said, "well, you DID patch it, right", the guy looked at me like I had 3 eyes. I said, you know, hot patched, or sealed it somehow on the inside? And he said they aren't allowed to plug tires. I repeated "PATHCHED ON THE INSIDE, not PLUGGED!!", and he said he had never heard such a thing, and something about it's not done in the motorcycle industry. AAARRGGGH. I was home sick with a nasty sinus infection. He got an earful, and I walked away with a new tube, and an $80 bill!! ($30 something for the parts, $39.50 for labor, plus tax.). Once our maintenance agreement is up (which does NOT include tires, I found out), I will not go back there for service.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:01 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry, But I change my tubeless tire last night and I forgot that I plug the tire a couple things. I saw that there was something inside the tire and it wasn't coming off. I like save that service charge from any HD dealership.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:33 PM
rcc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Huh???

Old 05-27-2009, 06:54 PM
MattV
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Perch
UPDATE!!! >>>> Dealer replaced the tube - BUT when I went to pick it up and said, "well, you DID patch it, right", the guy looked at me like I had 3 eyes. I said, you know, hot patched, or sealed it somehow on the inside? And he said they aren't allowed to plug tires. I repeated "PATHCHED ON THE INSIDE, not PLUGGED!!", and he said he had never heard such a thing, and something about it's not done in the motorcycle industry. AAARRGGGH. I was home sick with a nasty sinus infection. He got an earful, and I walked away with a new tube, and an $80 bill!! ($30 something for the parts, $39.50 for labor, plus tax.). Once our maintenance agreement is up (which does NOT include tires, I found out), I will not go back there for service.

OMG they are either pathological liars or not qualified to change a spark plug in a lawn mower

Wow

Old 05-27-2009, 07:43 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Since the new tube is already in, rather than taking everything apart to patch it, just shove a plug in the hole & be done with it.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:35 PM
06Heritage
Tourer

It's a liability Issue ... If the rear tire blows out after they just patch it ... they could be sued.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:03 AM
girlster8015
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Juve996
I'd bet a dime to a dollar that if you went in with the same reapair and you had a maintenance agreement they would want to fix it..

Treat this like you would a car tire. In the tread, put a patch in it and install a tube even if it didn't have one. In the sidewall, replace the tire.
Cars have 4 tires, we have 2! Not the same.

Quick Reply: Flat tire - tube only or whole new tire