General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF Course

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 02:28 PM
nyhdrider
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSF Course

Hey Everybody,

I have a question concerning the MSF course. I live in New York and am currently enrolled in a basic MSF safety course this upcoming weekend. I know if you pass you waive the road test and get a license. After looking around a bit I've read many people not getting their license until 2-4 months after they took the course. After shucking out 350 bucks and my 09 nightster sitting in the garage with this gorgeous weather I dont think I could hold out and wait 2-4 months. So anyone with experience or knowledge on the issue please let me know if you can get away with riding under the basis that your waiting for it in the mail...or if it really does take 2-4 months.

Thanks

Old 05-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Scooter68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ttok the MSF course before I ever bought a bike so as to know if I would even like riding, and once I realized the inevitable, I took the course. I guess it all depends on where you go for the course. I went ISU in Bloomington/Normal Illinois which was aboutan hour drive for me stayed the weekend, and once the course was completed they gave me the certification card right there. I was getting my license the next week, and it cost me $20 only.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:49 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 503 Likes on 261 Posts

Depending on YOUR states DMV.... you should be able to walk in, with your permit, show the paperwork, and walk out with a license.... or at the very worse, a temporary license.
If you've taken (and passed) the written exam.
A lot of folks delay getting the license, while they improve on the skills they learned, others delay because they're looking for that "perfect" bike, still other are just too lazy to stand in the DMV line

Old 05-25-2009, 02:50 PM
Hammer107
Road Master

Don't you have a permit?

Here in SC they get a certificate at the class that they can take to the DMV and trade for a license on the spot.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:00 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

(like Skootchnc said...)

I depends on YOUR state.

In *most* states, you bring your MSF card (from passing the MSF course) to the DMV.

You then take the written test at the DMV.

You then walk out with a license.

should be that simple

Old 05-25-2009, 03:19 PM
rogerfromco
Road Master

Looks like in NY, you can waive the "road test" with an approved course, but still have to take the written test...if I am reading this correctly.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license.htm#Motorcycle
Motorcycle Licenses

A New York resident must have a Class M or Class MJ driver license or learner permit to drive a motorcycle. The process to apply for a motorcycle license is different for the following conditions:If you have a NYS driver license or permit:
  • Study the on-line MV-21MC NYS Motorcycle Operator's Manual to prepare for the motorcycle written test. You can also get a copy of the manual from your local DMV Office or DMV Call Center.
  • Read the MV-44.1 driver license application instructions and complete form MV-44 for a learner permit.
  • Bring the completed form MV-44 and your current NYS photo driver license to a local DMV Office that offers written tests, and pay the $21 permit fee.
  • Pass the written test, and receive your Class M or Class MJ permit. This permit is valid for one year. You can renew the permit one time for an additional year. To get a new permit after a renewal, you must apply for a new permit and take the motorcycle written test again.
Motorcycle Permit Supervision, Restrictions and Practice: If you drive a motorcycle with a permit, a driver who is 21 years or age or older and who has a valid motorcycle license from NYS or another state must supervise you. The motorcycle driver who supervises you must remain within 1/4 mile of you at all times. To learn about all the restrictions for learner permits and Class MJ driver licenses, see the DMV brochure, Learner Permits and Junior Licenses.
The DMV recommends that you take instruction from a commercial driving school if possible. The DMV recommends that you have at least 30 hours of practice on a motorcycle, with at least 10 hours of practice in medium to high volume traffic before you take your motorcycle road test.
Schedule your motorcycle road test. See "Schedule a Road Test." You do not need a pre-licensing course or Driver Education certificate if you already have a NYS driver license. For the road test, you must provide:
  • A registered and inspected motorcycle with the correct equipment. NYS law defines a motorcycle as a motor vehicle that has no more than three wheels in contact with the ground. The examiner will not conduct the test if the vehicle has more than three wheels in contact with the ground.
  • A registered and inspected motor vehicle with the correct equipment operated by a driver age 18 or older who has a valid driver license. This motor vehicle and driver will transport the license examiner during the road test.
  • The documents listed in the DMV brochure "Road Test Tips".
If you pass the road test, the examiner issues you a temporary motorcycle license. Wait at least 7 days after your road test, and then bring your temporary motorcycle license, motorcycle permit and current photo driver license to a DMV office. Complete form MV-44 and mark the box at the top of the form that indicates "Change." Write "Add Class M (or MJ)" in the other box that indicates, "Other Change." Pay the $10 driver license document fee. The two driver license classes are listed on one driver license document (for example, Class DM). The local DMV office issues a temporary driver license without a photo. You receive your photo driver license by mail in approximately three weeks. The new driver license expires on the same date as your previous driver license.
If you DO NOT have a NYS driver license or out-of-state driver license:
  • Study the on-line NYS Motorcycle Operator's Manual and the on-line NYS Driver's Manual to prepare for the written tests. You can also get these manuals from a local DMV Office.
  • Read the MV-44.1 driver license application instructions and complete form MV-44 for a learner permit.
  • Pay the fees indicated for an original Class M or Class MJ permit / driver license as shown on the original driver license fee schedule. If you plan to apply for a motorcycle permit and another class of learner permit, apply for the other learner permit first. When you have the other learner permit, complete another form MV-44 to apply for your motorcycle permit.
  • Pass the written tests, and receive your Class M or Class MJ permit. The motorcycle permit is valid for a maximum of 5 years. You cannot renew this permit. If your permit expires, you must apply for a new permit and take the written tests again.
Motorcycle Permit Supervision, Restrictions and Practice: If you drive a motorcycle with a permit, a driver who is 21 years or age or older has a valid motorcycle license from NYS or another state must supervise you. The motorcycle driver who supervises you must remain within 1/4 mile of you at all times. To learn about all the restrictions for learner permits and Class MJ driver licenses, see the DMV brochure, Learner Permits and Junior Licenses.
The DMV recommends that you take instruction from a commercial driving school if possible. The DMV recommends that you have at least 30 hours of practice on a motorcycle, with at least 10 hours in medium to high volume traffic before you take your motorcycle road test.
A pre-licensing course or Driver Education course is required. Because this is your first driver license, you must take a pre-licensing course or driver education course before you can make a road test appointment. See "Driving Instruction" in the telephone directory yellow pages for DMV-licensed commercial schools that provide the pre-licensing course. The pre-licensing course certificate is valid for one year. A driver education certificate is valid for two years.
Schedule your motorcycle road test. See "Schedule a Road Test". You do not need a pre-licensing course or Driver Education certificate if you already have a NYS driver license. For the motorcycle road test, you must provide:
  • A motorcycle with a valid registration, current inspection and the correct equipment.
  • A motor vehicle with a valid registration, inspection and correct equipment and a driver age 18 or older who has a valid driver license. This vehicle and driver will transport the license examiner during the road test.
  • The documents listed in the DMV brochure "Road Test Tips".
If you pass the road test, the license examiner issues you a temporary motorcycle license. If you do not have another class of license, you receive your photo motorcycle license by mail in approximately three weeks and you do not have to visit a DMV office.
If you have a motorcycle license from another state:
Complete form MV-44 to exchange your out-of-state driver license for a NYS license.
Surrender your out-of-state driver license, show proof of identity and date of birth, and pay the application fee and driver license fee. The DMV calculates your fee at the time you apply. The DMV cannot calculate your exact fee until you apply.
The local DMV office issues a temporary driver license without a photo. Examine the temporary driver license and make sure Class M is listed. You receive your photo driver license by mail in approximately three weeks.
See "Drivers From the US or Canada" for more information.
Motorcycle road test waiver
The DMV can waive the motorcycle road test if you complete an approved rider course.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:28 PM
NYSportster
Cruiser

I took the MSF in NY. You need a riding permit to take the MSF. If you don't have one, take the written test at the DMV. It's a joke, most of the question is from the basic driving permit exam with maybe 1-2 question bike related. I think they state it would take a month to get the waiver, but I got mine within 2 weeks. I think they say it takes longer just to cover their ***. I took it 3 years ago. The card they give you at the end of class will not work. You need the waiver letter which is mailed.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:24 PM
OldArmy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A while back I did both but got in a hurry and decided to go take the road test portion to speed things along. Got through it...just. All the normal stuff but.....Six cones in a straight line, about six feet apart with a standing start at the first cone about did me in. Get the waiver for the riding portion.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:53 PM
nhbouncer
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

or just get on your bike and ride while you are waiting for them to complete whatever paperwork they are working on. I spent over 15 years riding with out a MC license was never once and still have never been stopped on my bike.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:15 PM
davidc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I took the course 4 years ago to get my M indorsement in NY, it took between 4-6 weeks to get my paperwork in the mail. Since I had my permit even though it was not legal I rode anyway, mostly back roads, rode carefully so as to not attract attention from LEO. If you have your permit you can ride with a friend with a M license.

Quick Reply: MSF Course